Should I...

be eating the calories I burn during my work outs, or will that hinder my weight loss? I have seen both sides, if you don't eat them you don't lose, if you do eat them you don't lose. What seems to be the consensus? :smile:

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    be eating the calories I burn during my work outs, or will that hinder my weight loss? I have seen both sides, if you don't eat them you don't lose, if you do eat them you don't lose. What seems to be the consensus? :smile:

There is no consensus. Try one, see how it works for you. (my answer is yes.)
    I eat mine back 90% of the time - very happily.

If you work hard - go ahead. If you are just watching the HRM tick over....
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    I don't tend to eat mine back tbh, normally i can't face eating that much
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    I don't lose when I eat them. I don't gain either. My plan is to only eat workout cal after i hit maintenance. But, that is a long time from now. For me 1350 is the magic number.. with daily workouts.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    I only eat them back if I am hungry and need to, just listen to your body, experiment and see what works best for you!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    my dietitian told me not to eat mine back....that is what I'm following ....you have to find what works for you.
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    i don't eat them back becasue i don't lose weight if i do
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    My Registered Dietician told me not to eat back exercise calories while i am still losing and that is what I have listened to. It depends on your age and physique. You need to do what works for you and what you are comfortable with.
  • Thank you for your answers, this is a tough on for me and it seems lately that I am not losing if I do, but I will listen to my body. If I am hungry I will eat them, if not I will leave them. Great advice!!!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    It depends on what you have your calories set to. If you have them set to 1200, then yes. If you have them set to 2000 or more, it's optional. It really depends on you though. Try both and see what works for you.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    I eat some of mine back so that my net intake for the day is about 1200 calories because that is what your body requires to function properly.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I set my goal at 1 lb per week, which gives me 1400 calories. During the week I usually stay right around 1400 (sometimes a little under if I'm not that hungry) and I don't eat exercise calories back. On the weekends I usually do eat them back. I tried eating them back every day and I didn't lose, but if I never ate them back I turn into a hungry beast!