Can strength training also be cardio?

Can strength training also be cardio? I had until recently been sceptical about strength training being sufficient and cardio being secondary until I started to observe my heartrate while training strength.

I calculate that at the age of 52 my aerobic zone is between 100 (60%) and 135 (80%). This is using the formula 220-52. My resting pulse is 36 – did I mention I do Yoga!

I use running on the spot, jacks, high knees and butt kicks for 20 minutes to warm up generally and then go on to a combination of bodyweight and dumbbell strength sets.

Push-ups, Bent over dumbbell rowing, Chair dips, Inverted rowing (Let me ups), Dumbbell squats and Lunges. My upper body is comparatively weak so the sets are strong; 5 x 5-8 reps. I rest for about 30 seconds between sets. With such short breaks I find my heart rate stays in the aerobic region.

I do this routine three times per week. Once a week I also include 3 sets of slow negative pull-ups x 3.

What I notice is my heart rate remains at about 132 bpm which sits up near my 80% aerobic capacity and as it takes around 45 minutes to complete this routine, including warm-up as described – do I really need to factor in any more cardio per week or is this routine sufficient?

I guess a younger person may not find strength training increases the heart rate to within the aerobic zone as the age calculation would present higher readings.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Not really. Heart increases during resistance exercise (RE) via a different physiologic mechanism than during cardio, so the heart rate increase is not a reliable indicator. Strength results and cardio results are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum. If you increase the cardiovascular component of the movement (e.g. lift lighter weights at faster speed) you decrease the resistance benefits and vice versa.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    I switched my workout this weekend and did weights first and cardio after. My HR was a full 10 bpm higher during cardio doing it that way.

If I am doing whole body exercises during weights (for example squats with a 10lb overhead press) My HR is super high for the whole duration of strength training.

Que the person who sez it can't be or that my HRM is inaccurate.... or that I am an alien from outer space because it couldn't possibly do that.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Not really. Heart increases during resistance exercise (RE) via a different physiologic mechanism than during cardio, so the heart rate increase is not a reliable indicator. Strength results and cardio results are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum. If you increase the cardiovascular component of the movement (e.g. lift lighter weights at faster speed) you decrease the resistance benefits and vice versa.

I respect your reply, but I am also awre that my breathing rate increases also, so something aerobic is happening. The fact that I take shorter breaks possibly means I am not working at my maximum strength demands but more likely am training towards the intense end of cardio.

I think this is where programs like Insanity sit in the in-between between cardio and strength?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    your program looks great. IMO, there is no need to over analyze it further.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Bodypump is great for this. It's lower weight, but high rep. 800 reps a class. You still get the strength training benefits, but the squat/back/lunge tracks that are spread without the class give you a big heart rate boost so you get a good burn, while you strength train. Changed my body completely.
  • I believe it is. Wear a heart rate monitor and check during your workout. I know I see a steady increase. That being said, I will never substitute pushing weight for a good 4-5 mile run 3-4 times a week.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Talking to nobody in particular, just like to point this out for those reading this post and are more concerned with calories burned (which you shouldn't necessarily be, including different things in your workout is a good thing if you ask me). We should not go by the assumption that heart rate indicates the HRM can calculate calories burned for cardio and strength training. If your heart rate is the same, calories burned are not. The HRM has no idea that your body is lifting weights, the calculations for those guys are based on cardio activities like running or cycling only, not strength training. Look it up.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    I'd say if you're doing relatively low weight, high rep, no or minimal rest between reps & sets, then you can blend cardio & resistance.

I'll sometimes do three circuits of various exercises, one set of one exercise with low weight &15-25 reps, move to the next exercise, repeat until I've done one set of each exercise, and then repeat the circuit two more times.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    I believe it is. Wear a heart rate monitor and check during your workout. I know I see a steady increase. That being said, I will never substitute pushing weight for a good 4-5 mile run 3-4 times a week.

Thanks. I do see where you're coming from and enjoy a good 30 minute beach run before heading straight into the sea - doesn't feel so cold then - for a swim; running barefoot makes this an easier transition! Or a run out with my dog in the woods. Nothing challenging or competitive. I have a problem with IT band so I don't tend to run often or for long.

Thanks everyone for your replies - really appreciate every one.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    The short answer is "it depends." If you are just straight strength training with long rest in between sets it's not really a cardio exercise. If you are circut training with cardio instead of rest or going for slightly lower weights and working through different moves without any rest then yes, but this is circut training (think insanity or JM 30DS). If you are cardio lifting with even lower weights and a crap ton of reps (think body pump) then yes, this is endurance lifting. Each of these has different goals and you set your workout to your goals. If your goal is to maximize the amount of weight you can lift at one time you do option 1. If your goal is to maximize the amount of weight you can lift up and down for 5 minutes you do option 3, if your goal is somewhere in between you do option 2. If you're like me, you do a variety of each one depending on your schedule and mood.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

This. My breathing picks up and I sweat a lot when i lift. Is it cardio? No.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Talking to nobody in particular, just like to point this out for those reading this post and are more concerned with calories burned (which you shouldn't necessarily be, including different things in your workout is a good thing if you ask me). We should not go by the assumption that heart rate indicates the HRM can calculate calories burned for cardio and strength training. If your heart rate is the same, calories burned are not. The HRM has no idea that your body is lifting weights, the calculations for those guys are based on cardio activities like running or cycling only, not strength training. Look it up.

Solid advice
  • amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member
    I would have to agree with you. I take a class called Group Power, twice a week, anyone familiar with this? It is a 60 minute barbell program that strengthens all your major muscles using simple, athletic movements such as squats, lunges, presses and curls, to heart pumping music. I wear my HRM while doing it and I burn burn burn every time. The only rest time we have is when we are switching moves.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Is it cardio? No.

Does it still benefit your heart and lungs? I can't see why not.
  • Can strength training also be cardio?

I am currently taking a fitness instructor training course, and yes, strength training can be cardio, even power lifting, doesn't mean you need to take lighter weights either. As long as your HR is in the 60-90% range, you are indeed doing cardio. I personnaly double up sets to make supersets and gets my HR up there, obviously breathing is key as well.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member

That... doesn't make a lot of sense. "Cardiovascular fitness" is by nature defined by a combination of how strong your heart is, how much lung capacity you have, efficiency of oxygen transfer in your blood, etc. All of those things are improved anytime you stress your CV system. Now obviously, if you're only getting your heart to 130-150 you're not getting the same benefits as if you get it to 165-180, but you're still getting benefit. Similarly, if you're doing cardio like running, your muscles that you're using will get stronger.

Now the benefits are not coequal. Someone like me who runs long distances isn't going to get much cardio benefit from a weight training session, because I'm unlikely to get to a point where I'm really stressing my CV system. Someone who lifts a lot isn't going to get much strength benefit from running, because their legs are already strong. Less benefit and no benefit are not the same thing though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I believe it is. Wear a heart rate monitor and check during your workout. I know I see a steady increase.

No. Just no.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

Huge Yes to this. But that's not surprising because CoderGal is always knows her *kitten*.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

I respect your reply, but I am also awre that my breathing rate increases also, so something aerobic is happening. The fact that I take shorter breaks possibly means I am not working at my maximum strength demands but more likely am training towards the intense end of cardio.

I think this is where programs like Insanity sit in the in-between between cardio and strength?

The answer was on point. If you do an 'in-between' program you are not maximizing the potential of either.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Can strength training also be cardio?

I am currently taking a fitness instructor training course, and yes, strength training can be cardio, even power lifting, doesn't mean you need to take lighter weights either. As long as your HR is in the 60-90% range, you are indeed doing cardio. I personnaly double up sets to make supersets and gets my HR up there, obviously breathing is key as well.

Power lifting can be cardio? HR is irrelevant for power lifting when it comes to cardio in the sense of endurance or 'burn'.