Diet Soda

Options
I know Soda in any form is not good for you but does anyone know if Diet soda really is worse for you than regular? Diet soda is kind of my guilty pleasure and I always make myself feel better by telling myself its not as bad because it has no calories but ive heard it is worse for you than regular soda and can keep you from losing weight?

Replies

• icklebubbly
    icklebubbly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally drink diet drinks and haven't found it has affected my weight loss in the slightest! I love fizzy drinks and if i had to give them up i think i would cry!!!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Meh.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Bad doesn't cut it.

You WILL Die

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • Cranktastic
    Options
    Bad doesn't cut it.

You WILL Die

My day is now complete.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Bad doesn't cut it.

You WILL Die

Undeniable proof!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I drink it in addition to my 8+ glasses of water a day... and coffee...and smoke cigarettes...and eat red meat...and... YUP, probably gonna die sooner than some, but damn it, I'm gonna have fun doing it! :flowerforyou:
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't drink a heap of it - but will drink it when I feel like it - possibly a can or two a week. It hasn't interfered with my weight loss at all.. I am now maintaining and have been doing so since the beginning of May this year
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bad doesn't cut it.

You WILL Die

Undeniable proof!

God I love ya, skitty!!

Ohh and that **** will kill you!
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Bad doesn't cut it.

You WILL Die

Clearly, there is no argument to be made here.
  • Cranktastic
    Options
    Bad doesn't cut it.

You WILL Die

Clearly, there is no argument to be made here.

snort
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with diet soda unless you are sensitive to artificial sweeteners or drink a case a day of it. From a weight loss perspective it is better than non-diet soda as it has no calories.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid anything other than water.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Where there's a Will there's a Weigh?

Seriously, the most at risk part of you are your teeth.
    The jury is out (for lunch?) on artificial sweetners. The sucralose ones claim to be the safest.
    We all read about how saccharine and aspartame are (probably) destroying the planet, if not the ozone layer and/or your brain. All that is missing is evidence. Anecdotal, over-the-back-fence wisdom is not a valid source any more than pub-science is.

One undeniable factor is the sharp, clean taste of colas (generically) - it is PHOSPHORIC ACID.

Other fizzy drinks contain citric acid and even sparkling water contains a tiny amount of carbonic acid (from dissolving the carbon dioxide that makes the fizz).

Moderation is probably the key. Sugar provides 15 Cals/ tspn of pure energy: it is excess sugar that should be avoided and you are probably "safer" with a limited amount of non-diet soda/pop factored into your daily Calorie allowance.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    "They" say diet soda is bad because of the artifical sweeteners in them. The artifical sweeteners mimick sugar and your brain doesn't register that its had something sweet and wants more. So you crave more sweets. Thats what "they" say. I drank diet coke forever, I gave it up this year and I don't feel any different, and I didn't lose insant weight so its a personal choice.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If it is harmful, the question is in what dose.
  • Jenn24lake
    Options
    Drinking diet soda causes us to hold fuild, so we always feel like we are bloated from all the sodium in the drink. I enjoy my diet pepsi, but personally I cut back on drinking it for a month, felt like my pants weren't so tight around the waist. I allow myself a bottle of diet soda on the weekend.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Probably a fair summation ... Aspartame is a guilty pleasure for me ... In some ways I'd rather be drinking sugar (HFCS in the US).
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 2 diet cokes daily, I have lost 57lbs and still going. I dont drink coffee or any adult beverages so I say if it is the only "bad" drink I have than so be it. I have altered so many other eating / drinking habits in my life at this point I still need my diet coke fix, maybe once my journey is complete and I have setteled into my new lifestyle I will work on cutting that out.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Probably a fair summation ... Aspartame is a guilty pleasure for me ... In some ways I'd rather be drinking sugar (HFCS in the US).

And, If someone is consuming so much processed crap that they need to worry about it, they've probably got bigger problems to worry about anyway.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It might not affect your weight loss per say but it has a lot of artificial things in it that are not good health wise in the long run. You should switch to flavored sparking water. If there's a Kroger near you or HEB look for a sparking water called ICE. It tastes like soda and is sweetened with Splenda. I honestly prefer stevia to spenda, but it's not bad for a nice little fix. Also...try Vitamin Waters.