Beet Soup

Options
PicklePlum
PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
Anyone have good recipes for a beet soup or one using a lot of beets?

I have a ton of beets from the farm share and I don't know what to do with them. I would prefer to eat them hot since it's really cold out.

I absolutely have no experience with beets. What spices go good with them?

Replies

• Jacquim68
    Options
    try the link for this healthy beetroot soup: http://www.theismaili.org/recipe/117.
    I have made a really delicious beetroot cake too, there are lots of recipes on the internet for inspiration. I love beetroots, you could also try to pickle them. Good luck!
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    You can also roast them whole with some balsalmic vinegar
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love beets. I think my favorite way to eat them would be uncooked and shredded on a salad... or just shredded and tossed with a nice vinaigrette.... sprinkle with salted, toasted sunflower seeds... yum!

I used to worry about peeling them... should I use a peeler?... should I cook first then peel? But, I've finally realized: the skin is tasty! So, now things are easier: wash them using a vegetable brush, cut off the top part that goes to the greens and the little tail, then chop into 1" cubes (or whatever size you prefer). I toss them with a little olive oil (for 3 beets I might use 0.5 to 1 tablespoon) and some sea salt. Then, I put the chopped beets on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and roast them in a preheated oven at 400degF for 10-15 minutes. I cook them until they are only a little soft... I like them still crunchy.

This week, I plan to roast them with a bit of balsamic vinegar and orange juice.

One more thing... the greens are tasty too! Wash and chop... add to your salad or braise them like you would any other green.

Enjoy!