I find this an interesting comment ...

Options
Not sure how true this is but i was looking at how water helps you loose weight when dieting and i can accross this comment/tip on the www.sciencedaily.com web site :

Comment name by : Mara Z. Vitolins, R.D., Dr. P.H., assistant professor of public health sciences (epidemiology)

"It is hard to distinguish between being thirsty and being hungry, so try drinking water and waiting 20 to 30 minutes to see if you're still hungry"

What do people think about this truth or rubbish ???

Replies

• jenneal89
    Options
    I used do that and found that about 70% of the time I was actually just thirsty. Now I can tell the difference between the two....most of the time :)
  • littlemeowmaid
    littlemeowmaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My Dad always used to tell me this! He's a scientist, so I'd say it's true.
    Also If you haven't been eating the same sized meals as before or you're not snacking your body tells you you're hungry out of habit, not hunger. Having a of water, tea or diet soft drink, at those times, helps too :)
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Works for me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Not sure how true this is but i was looking at how water helps you loose weight when dieting and i can accross this comment/tip on the www.sciencedaily.com web site :

Comment name by : Mara Z. Vitolins, R.D., Dr. P.H., assistant professor of public health sciences (epidemiology)

"It is hard to distinguish between being thirsty and being hungry, so try drinking water and waiting 20 to 30 minutes to see if you're still hungry"

Its true.
    I'm an intermittent faster and it took me a while to understand emotional hunger and ghrelin response.
    When i'm emotionally hungry I think of food and get hungry.
    When ghrelin response happens its at set times during the day when my body needs nutrients.
    I'v trained myself to have ghrelin response at 2, 6 and 9pm daily.
    I have an emotional response around 10-11am daily because thats when I get to work and smell the food in the food court.
    Try IF for a month or 2 and see what I mean.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with that comment. Your body just doesn't know what it wants and you may get the wrong signal, so have a glass of water. If after 20-30 min. you are still hungry, go ahead and have a small meal or a healthy snack. I find that I am not hungry after drinking the water, so I am actually thirsty.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that, but it does not work for me. Usually, if I'm hungry I want something substantial, not a liquid-it just doesn't do the same thing for me. Others may be different.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Works very well for me.

Sometimes I need a little bit more: a tea or a coffee with some milk.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I found it to be very true of me, especially before I went on MFP.

It could be a placebo, though. I now fnd that if I wait for half an hour when I know I've eaten enough and just am 'hungry' and want to eat that I almost always am not hungry in half an hour anyway.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think this is true! I used to not drink very much water, but now that I make an effort to drink more, it's easier to eat less. If that makes sense at all.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment because I live by it. Drinking enough warm water stages of my hunger.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

Absolutely true!!!
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Its very true for me. I have learned if my body is screaming for me to eat in the evening, after my last meal, I am NOT hungry, I am thirsty!
    Also, when I crave salt. A large glass of cold water, sometimes two.....stops the cravings every time.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I cannot comment on any of the science as I am not qualified.
    However, this absolutely worked for me. Helped me loss over 60 lbs last year.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    This is especially true for me when I'm craving sweets. Usually, I'm just thirsty and drinking water helps. (And adding Crystal Light can calm the craving too - though I tend to dilute it)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Truth.
  • AXAGEM
    AXAGEM Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I find this to be true, I have been doing this for the last couple of years and after a while you begin to learn the differences between feeling thristy and the first stage of hunger.
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    I drink nearly a gallon of water daily, so under the assumption that I'm never thirsty, I can tell what hungry feels like. Which, I never really knew before. I agree though, I have heard that type of thing from multiple health professionals.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I actually find this to be very true. Even if it isn't, it's worth the try right?

There have been many times when I thought I was hungry, but after sipping on some cold water, I was wrong.

It's also a fact that a craving only last about 8-15 minutes. So if your craving a not-so-good-for-you food, try sipping on some water, and wait it out. See if you still need it after 15 minutes.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that, but it does not work for me. Usually, if I'm hungry I want something substantial, not a liquid-it just doesn't do the same thing for me. Others may be different.

I think you're missing the point.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    True