Any battle of the bulge without support success stories

Options
I just got back in from my 1 hour PLUS outside walk/circuit training thing. I asked my boyfriend (who is slim and trim and also my hubby of over 30 years) if he would please go with me. He said "No, I don't feel like it". I got a "tude" and opened an invitation to a "pity-party".

Two of my children volunteered to go with me, but I said "no" (because that would ruin my perfectly self-inflicted pity party of I'm all alone and no one cares or understands and this is HARD, wah wah wah ). So, out the door I went...ALONE and feeling so sorry for myself, but at the same time, powerful. I was telling myself that I really must do this thing alone anyway. Yes, I'm thrilled for those who have support--but the reality is not everyone is going to have support and I have to look to this thing like I do my personal relationship with God...it's a private thing I must do alone!

So, just as I huff and puff my way to the park (it's about a mile and 1/2 away from my house and the course is about 2-2 1.2 miles long)) and I was mega power walking ALONE, all of a sudden (just as I get to the park) I hear this horn blowing and a "cat-call" saying "looking good cutiepie". I turn around and guess who it was????

My boyfriend ( whose been my hubby for more than 30 years, but I call him my boyfriend). He drove around to the park entrance and walked around the course with me. I did all my stretches and exercises while he watched. I'm ALSO thrilled he came up there, because I didn't have to walk back. All this to say, YAY, it worked out for me in the end, but more important...it's nice to have support, but sometimes support isn't always there. We can do this alone and from today on, I'm going to look at support as
"the gravy" but not depend on it. I've got to do this with and for me, myself and I--you too?

Anyone achieve your goals or doing this alone success stories? I think many people may be encouraged to hear your story...I know I will be:wink:

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bumping for replies :smile:
  • Franzibear
    Franzibear Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself support-less at all (my boyfriend has been the main motivation to get started losing weight with me and all), but I do see that there are times when it is all up to me to follow-through with things... Like when he doesn't have time for the workout, do I do it on my own or skip it? Or when I am at work and get offered pastries and snacks by co-workers, do I take them or skip them? In the end it is always a good proof for yourself that you're invested enough to stick with it, on your own or with the support of others :-)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself support-less at all (my boyfriend has been the main motivation to get started losing weight with me and all), but I do see that there are times when it is all up to me to follow-through with things... Like when he doesn't have time for the workout, do I do it on my own or skip it? Or when I am at work and get offered pastries and snacks by co-workers, do I take them or skip them? In the end it is always a good proof for yourself that you're invested enough to stick with it, on your own or with the support of others :-)

Love this reply...thanks for posting!
  • columbae86
    Options
    Before he met me, my husband had a history of meeting women with eating disorders. He was together with a girl who was anorexic, another one who was bulimic... And he met me. When we met my BMI was about 23.5, which is normal. Then I put some weight on. My husband is SO scared that I end up developing eating disorders like his exes had, that he tells me all the time how beautiful he thinks I am, and how he likes my curves and doesn't want me to lose weight. He sends me pseudo-scientific articles about how a bit more weight is sometimes better than less, etc. etc. I tell him that I love food way too much to ever stop eating, but well... he's stubborn! So I don't really feel supported in the process. And when he wants to "help", he says things like : "Well, you shouldn't eat this!" without understanding that it's a calorie counting thing. That's why I got the community here. Else I go insane. My husband is the most supportive person in every other aspect of my life, but because of his own history, he has a hard time with me dieting...
    I lost 9 pounds so far. I REALLY hope that this time, I'm on my way to lose the 28 pounds I want to lose. I look almost everyday at success stories to inspire myself not to give up. :-)
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My fiance isn't unsupportive, but he refuses to work out in any way, shape, or form. lol He works a full time job, along with attending school to finish school, annnnnd we have a baby. I understand he is stressed enough and literally has no time to work out even if he wanted to. I definitely go through phases of being healthy to not being healthy because of all the junk food and take out he gets. I ignored it all at first but now I've been giving in. I know it's my own fault, but I just wish he would join me in dieting. I'm getting smaller and he's slowly gaining weight! lol Oh well, I love him no matter what and vice versa! :)
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much on my own in this. I have a few friends (IRL) on here who say that they want to lose weight and get fit, but they really aren't doing anything to get there. And I totally understand that if you aren't mentally ready to do it, no one can make you think otherwise. I let them know what I am doing and how much I've lost and how much faster I am getting in my walking/running and while they all say nice things about it, there is no motivation coming from their side. They ask how I am doing it and I explain over and over again how easy it has really been, but nothing. I would LOVE to someday have friends who are the ones pushing me to do better instead of the other way around. As it stands, I guess it is all up to me with the support of all my MFP friends.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom so I don't have a partner to encourage (or not encourage) me. When I chose to lose weight, I chose to do it for me and only for me and I knew that it was something that I would have to do on my own. I do not have any friends who go to the same gym as me so I go on my own, throw on my music and zone out and I have to say that I like it like that. My son likes junk food and it's hard for me to suddenly take that stuff away from him just because I want to be healthier so I do still have cookies and less healthy snacks in the house at all times (not so much chips and pop) so I have to make that conscious effort all the time not to eat those things.

This is the second time that I've done this weight loss journey, the first of which I did right when my husband and I separated years ago, but got injured and gained a lot of the weight back so now I'm working on it again and am almost where I was 7 years ago after my first weight loss journey.

When you make the journey about becoming a happier, healthier you, it shouldn't matter what people around you do as it is for you and only you. I love how you said that any support you receive is just a bonus as I think that's exactly how it should be. I do have people who call me 'skinny' now and tell me how great I look and as much as I love hearing that, that wasn't my reason for doing it and won't be my reason for continuing to push on.

I started losing weight at the beginning of January and am down 38 lbs and close to 50" overall.
  • theonenonlykris
    Options
    My husband is skinny and works outside. He is supportive when its convenient :) He will offer to walk at the park when its nice outside and taking our son to ride his bike. He loves his snacks and junk food, so he wont offer to give them up or hide them. However, he doesnt offer me any and he's pretty good about letting me cook what I want to eat up to an extent. The extents are if I bring home something, bring home something for him too. Plus I've learned to cook something that I can add veggies etc. to make it work for me. He never complains about me taking time to work out.

Its a lifestyle change for me, so I have to keep that in mind when forcing things on him too. I can't be mad that he doesnt want to do some of the activities, but I would get mad if he prevented me from doing them by myself.
  • TashaLou29
    TashaLou29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it alone since I started and I've lost 25lbs so far. I never expected my husband to work out with me or diet with me. I've been with him for 7 years and have never seen him do either. I keep telling him I'm going to be out of his league one day if he doesn't work out with me lol... it doesn't work. We moved to a small town about two hours away form everyone we know so my only work out partner is my 2 year old who goes on walks with me sometimes and tries to do my zumba with me lol its so cute. But other then that I've never worked out with anyone and I workout every day. I tried to do the long distance weight loss partner thing with my sister by texting her motivational pictures and quotes and her doing the same but eventually she fell off and I was alone again. But I don't mind it. I kinda feel like I would get distracted if I had someone doing this with me... but I wouldn't know.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it alone since I started and I've lost 25lbs so far. I never expected my husband to work out with me or diet with me. I've been with him for 7 years and have never seen him do either. I keep telling him I'm going to be out of his league one day if he doesn't work out with me lol... it doesn't work. We moved to a small town about two hours away form everyone we know so my only work out partner is my 2 year old who goes on walks with me sometimes and tries to do my zumba with me lol its so cute. But other then that I've never worked out with anyone and I workout every day. I tried to do the long distance weight loss partner thing with my sister by texting her motivational pictures and quotes and her doing the same but eventually she fell off and I was alone again. But I don't mind it. I kinda feel like I would get distracted if I had someone doing this with me... but I wouldn't know.

I had the exact same situation with my sister. I think I wanted it for her more than she wanted it for herself as she held on a lot longer with my encouragement, but she still let it slide in the end and I had to let her make that decision.
  • mlanggin88
    mlanggin88 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight since highschool. I was never HUGE but always fluffy-er than my other friends. It also didn't help that by my senior year I was growing in at 5'7.5. I met my husband my Jr year but we didn't start dating till almost the end of my senior year. Around the time we started dating I think I weighed in around 195-210 (never looked)

Since then I have gained over 110 lb and had 2 children. I always started trying to lose, but never finished. Mostly because of having no motivation and lack of will power but also alot had to do with the fact my husband (who has 2% body fat, NO JOKE) would try to tell me how to lose and would tell me what I was doing wrong and never what I did right. Finally I told him, he is a huge reason I can't lose and I need encouraging words, not mean ones. I told him, until he has to lose 110 lb or more he can't tell me what I am doing wrong. Just help me stay in line but eating healthier.

Together this year we both signed up for the gym and changed our eating habits. It has helped so much, he tells me once or twice a week of how awesome it is we have getting healtheir in common and that he can really tell that I am in this to lose it. It has really helped me.

That's my experience through this, if you need motivation and your not getting it at home always come on here. We will walk in spirit with you and help along the way. Feel free to add. I love having my MFP peeps.
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    Your very lucky you have a support system...

I have no support system. However, am coming to terms with it...I just don't appreciate the people bringing me down quit you won't make it...blah-blah-blah.....This would litterally break me down, and I would hate it and binge...BUt realized I am just letting them win....

But am very happy that MFP is a great support....I log on this site religiously so I can see the success stories and it helps me so much... :)

But at the end it will be worth it, I am doing this for me, for my life, for my happiness, and will accomplish that one day......
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i have done this on my own. family and a few people i know encourage me a bit.. and did get my nephew to walk with me a couple of times..but i think that was just to get away from his mom and sister..lol had people say they will show and dont... this is my journey..company would be nice and does help..but i have to bust my own butt and do what needs to be done with no excuses. i do tae kwon do .. that is kinda like a class group thing..so not alone doing that and have done a work out group at the gym a couple of times... but other than that..i am the only one pushing myself.. as of yesterday i am down 115 lbs. since june 15th of this year i have lost 90.6 lbs of that weight. all grunt and no surgery
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    {{{{{ HUGS and High Fives }}}}}} to you ALL who have posted here. Your stories are deep and inspirational to me--you ALL rock, period.:flowerforyou:
  • JBuehrer1
    JBuehrer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had to finally tell my husband to stop "encouraging" me. I haven't lost anything yet, so I don't have a success story to tell. But, my husband is one of those people who is pretty fit, and can go from not doing anything to biking 10 miles, swimming a mile, running a mile, and biking back home in a day. I can not do that, and he just doesn't get it! I could go outside and walk our road (we live in the country so it's about a mile to the end of the street) and back in about 45 minutes and he tells me to do more, or walk faster. I only ever asked him to walk with me once, he walks much faster than me and I couldn't really keep up with him. He just doesn't understand that I cannot just up and do all at once. I know this. If I want to end up being consistent, then I need to move more, and if all I can do one day is walk at a measly 3 mi/hr pace on the treadmill in the basement, well that's better than a month ago. As long as I do something everyday, and start adding a little more at a time, I'm better off than I was before. So, I'm kind of in this on my own, at my own request. It's kind of sad, I would love to be able to share my struggles and successes with him, but we usually just end up getting mad at each other, because I don't see his encouragement as encouragement, and he can't/won't change his way of encouraging to a way that I see as encouraging! If that makes sense!
  • mlanggin88
    mlanggin88 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It took a long, long, long time to get it. My dad always was negative about my weight loss and exercise habbits. But now that he has seen me drop about 45 lb he has completely got behind me and tells me (when I see him) that I have def improved my lifestyle. But for years I dealt with negative comments from him and my husband. I finally got them to shut up... LOL
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    honestly too much to go into

i have no support at home its all on here

im not a complete success yet but a success in the making

you only need to believe in yourself ..... other support is just a bonus
  • MsTanyaG
    Options
    My husband supports me to no end when it comes to working out - not so much as it relates to food. He likes to eat good fat laden food, lay in the bed at 11pm and eat ice cream, candy or whatever. I have learned to appreciate his support with exercise and maybe inspire him to eat just a little better.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom with a 3 year old and 4 year old. I also work full time and go to school. My family is busy with their lives and don't like that I am into fitness. My ex lives on the other side of the US. I am alone in this and I've manage to lose a lot of weight.

“Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire under you, chances are it will burn very briefly.” — Stephen R. Covey

“As you think, so shall you become.” — Bruce Lee
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that he came through after all, when you weren't expecting it. I am proud of you for sticking it out and going through with your workout even despite his denial at first. You have your mind made up and you are sticking by your promise to yourself, and that is awesome!

I don't currently have any support, my family supports me in that they encourage me, but I don't have a husband or boyfriend or friend or anyone to actually work out with, cook with, etc. I'm a single mom with an 11 year old, and I work and go to school as well. It's tough but I want to do this for me, so I feel better and look better and am happier.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!