CHICKEN SOUP VIRGIN-HELP!

Options
Ok... SO yes I have never made soup from scratch. I need help with the science of it... k ready.. Heres what I have

-celery
-carrots
-Onions (do I want red or yellow? I have both)
-some kinda of chicken with bone (its in a package mom said it was good haha.. dont judge)
-rosemary
-parsley...

Now what? What do you do?? Mom said after 10mins of boiling the chicken is cooked so take it out and put the bones back in.. BUT ive read some people let it simmer with the chicken in for 2 hours??!!?!?!

Shed some light??

ps I know my grammar and spelling suck Im just doing this quickly lol...
THANKS IN ADVANCED!!

Replies

• EA1604
    EA1604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Use yellow onion red will cause the water to get all yuck. I leave the chicken in for an hour and then shred it. Either way you are fine. I add some whole black pepercorn for some extra flavor. Salt it to taste and you are good to go!
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you, yellow it is :). And yes back pepper for sure!!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:

Season chicken
    Roast chicken in oven till cooked (155-165F)
    Drain juices into stockpot
    Remove chicken from bone and set aside
    Put bones and skin in stockpot
    Add enough water to cover
    Boil for at least an hour till liquid is reduced by half
    Remove all bones and skin - Easiest way is to strain broth into a clean pan
    Sautee veggies and seasonings
    Reheat chicken with veggies
    Add to strained broth
    Add salt & pepper to taste

Reason for my method is that to me, roasted chicken has a better flavor and texture than boiled chicken. Also, I generally do this when I'm making lots of things for the week. So I will roast more than one chicken and have extra bones. The longer you boil the bones, the more they break down and the stronger the stock. The rest of the chicken (that I don't use for the soup) goes into cabbage roll enchiladas, rice cassseroles, etc.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I make mine in 2 days.

Day One is stock making day.

Cover chicken with water then add carrots, celery, onion (just read for stock to leave skin on so trying that next time I make soup.) Tons of fresh rosemary, and whatever other seasoning you like.
    Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for as long as you have time for- minimum 2 hours. I usually start it when I get home from work ~5:30 and cook until 12 or so. Let it cool for an hour (or until a mid-sleep pee) and then throw it in the fridge.

Day 2

The next day I usually warm up the soup, strain the broth, then shred the meat. Bring the broth+chx+new veg to a boil then reduce to a simmer. MORE ROSEMARY. (My mom makes soup with max rosemary, and it makes it so much more delicious.) Other season to taste. Simmer until you can no longer stand it. Eat. Do not burn tongue!

If you like to add carbs (noodles, rice, etc. ) usually 30 minutes or so before you're ready to eat is a good time. I like to cook them separately then add to my bowl as noodles don't freeze well in soup.

If you make your own noodles 100% whole wheat noodles are possible but have a very different texture than white/partially white noodles.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    I do it just like alaskakng :smile: But I add brown rice at the same time as the vegetables, etc. I like about one cup uncooked brown rice. It takes about an hour to cook in the soup/stock.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't make that big a deal out of it. I put it all in the pot and cook it. Bring the pot to the boil, then let simmer for 2 hours if possible.

Fresh herbs go in a little sack which gets discarded afterwards, and I either throw away the veggies or grind with a hand blender. Chicken is shredded and returned to each Tupperware container that I freeze.

For the record, white meat makes the best soup.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is just one way to make chicken soup. Personally, I would not put the bones back in. I'd cook the chicken. 10 minutes at boiling probably is enough, then remove the chicken from the broth and add the veggies. While the veggies cook, I'd remove the skin and debone the chicken, shred it and then add it back to the soup. Turn it to a simmer for another 10 min or so, then turn off the heat and let it sit and 'marry' until cool enough to eat.

If I had both yellow and red onion, I'd save the red for a salad, just because it looks better in a salad, and use the yellow for the soup. But if all I had was red, I'd use red in the soup.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:

Season chicken
    Roast chicken in oven till cooked (155-165F)
    Drain juices into stockpot
    Remove chicken from bone and set aside
    Put bones and skin in stockpot
    Add enough water to cover
    Boil for at least an hour till liquid is reduced by half
    Remove all bones and skin - Easiest way is to strain broth into a clean pan
    Sautee veggies and seasonings
    Reheat chicken with veggies
    Add to strained broth
    Add salt & pepper to taste

Reason for my method is that to me, roasted chicken has a better flavor and texture than boiled chicken. Also, I generally do this when I'm making lots of things for the week. So I will roast more than one chicken and have extra bones. The longer you boil the bones, the more they break down and the stronger the stock. The rest of the chicken (that I don't use for the soup) goes into cabbage roll enchiladas, rice cassseroles, etc.

This is similar to how I make mine. I always use the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, it's already slow cooked and seasoned so every bit of the bird is eaten.