Stopping the morning snack?

Options
I don't know how to get through the morning without my stomach really wanting more food. I have tried eating a bigger breakfast (which I eat at 5:30) to try and get me to 11:00 for lunch, but it does not seem to help.

Is there something in particular I should be eating to get me from breakfast to lunch without a snack? I have already had one snack at 9:15, but it is 10:45 and I have been watching the clock just waiting for it to be lunch time.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I use to have this problem so I quit eating breakfast. I now eat lunch, an afternoon snack then dinner. Much happier and no more feeling starved and binging. Not saying it's the best option for you but it is an option. Before anyone says it will kill my metabolism. No it won't. Metabolism doesn't start to slow down and conserve energy until after 24 hours and up to 72 hours of NO food. :flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with having a snack? I normally plan a mid-morning and a mid-afternoon snack. I try to choose snack items that are high protien so they keep me full for longer. Additionally, if I allow myself to get too hungry then I completely lose control at lunch or dinner.

You'll get a lot of opinions on skipping breakfast or not, eating many small meals or two/three large meals. It goes on forever and it's all just that, opinions. There's no real substantial evidence that any one way of eating is any better than any other. So just pick what works for you.
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it's because you eat breakfast so early. I eat breakfast around 8 and then I eat lunch at 12:30. If I have a mid morning snack it's extremely low calorie.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have long days at work, so I pack a "lunch". But it has things like a cheese stick, a pepperoni stick, an apple, an orange, some cherry tomatoes, a small homemade muffin. I have no designated lunch hour, so I grab the food as I have time and as I'm hungry. Maybe you could do that? Even if you are at home, you can "pack" a lunch; a container in the fridge with the food designated for the day, and then eat it as you need it. (Oh, and, for me, protein in the morning makes a big difference. Cottage cheese is my go-to breakfast.)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat part of your breakfast at 5:30 and part for a snack? That's a long time to go without food and I always am hungry in the morning.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more in the first half of my day than I do at dinner or in the evenings. Lots of snacks built in. It's what works for me. I think if you are finding yourself hungry you just need to build those snacks into your day. I usually go with a mid-morning piece of fruit or some string cheese or something, but it depends on what you're already eating for breakfast.
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    if i am busy and have to be up really early i dont eat breakfast i plan regular small snacks until lunch instead x
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm a grazer. I like to spread my eating throughout the day so I don't get that 'hungry' feeling so much. I eat eggs in the morning, I find the protein really helps me stay fuller longer. I always figure that if I'm feeling THAT hungry, I must need a few extra calories.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a snack? I was having a super hungry day. breakfast, snack. lunch all down the hatch and thinking it may be an early afternoon snack kind of day. I have my diary set up for 6 meals a day, I call 3 of them snacks, but there's rarely anything snacky about them.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    What's wrong with having a snack?

Snacking throws me over my daily calorie goal.

I have the same problem. I get up at 4:15 to work so I eat breakfast very early after my work out.
    I have discovered pistachios! They are very low calorie and you can throw in 10-20 without breaking your calorie goal.
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    What's wrong with having a snack? I normally plan a mid-morning and a mid-afternoon snack. I try to choose snack items that are high protien so they keep me full for longer. Additionally, if I allow myself to get too hungry then I completely lose control at lunch or dinner.

You'll get a lot of opinions on skipping breakfast or not, eating many small meals or two/three large meals. It goes on forever and it's all just that, opinions. There's no real substantial evidence that any one way of eating is any better than any other. So just pick what works for you.

Totally agree, i eat breakfast a 6:30 - 7:00 am my mid-morning snack at 10:00am usually a fruir or protein bar then my lunch is a 12 a lot of veggies with chicken or meat, my mid-afternoon snack is tea but when i'm going to workout then i eat protein bar, greek yogurt or nuts mix , i stil loss weight, but never skip anymeal is no healthy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Are you getting some protein at breakfast? And something with fibre? Those can keep you feeling full for longer.

If it was me though, I would probably save some of my breakfast and have it mid-morning as a snack. That's kinda what I do between lunch and supper. I have something for a mid-afternoon snack that I would probably otherwise eat as part of my lunch. Really helps at that 'munchies' time.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    technically you should be snacking all day... well small meals and snacks any how...
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I used to eat breakfast before going to work (at 5:30 also) but I discovered that if I wait until I get to work and eat there I will be OK. I have overnight oats in the fridge ready to go with about 62g of protein. I eat around 7:30 and by the time I finish its usually around 9 (I eat really slow and have to work in between bites) Sometimes I have a snack (2 boiled eggs) before lunch but usually I just eat everything with lunch because I am just not hungry before that - or if I have the eggs I'll usually eat lunch later @2pm then dinner at about 6.
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a morning snack as long as it is the "right" type of snack, one to help your blood sugar regulation so you dont end up binging on high sugar stuff later.
    Some of the snacks I have (nor every morning) include: 3 medium sized brazil nuts, fat free yoghurt, a ryvita with a light laughing cow cheese spread triangle, a few raisins, goji berries or cranberries, a rice or corn cracker with a smear or tahini paste.
  • arzac00
    arzac00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried a more protein breakfast. I had two eggs, orange juice and whole grain rounds. I did eat at 5:30. Not much of a choice about the time. It is 8:45 and I feel like I need a snack. I guess I just need to plan for small snacks before breakfast. I brought a small apple today. So 50 cals there, I think. And I have some Speckial K crackher chips 110 there if I eat the whole portion. They just add up fast.

I didn't have this much trouble the first 2 months and I had less calories to work with. I don't want to gain back what I lost, but I don't want to feel hungry all morning all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what everyone else was saying, just plan for a snack. I do, today I have a banana. I also keep low fat yogurt and low fat string cheese in the fridge at work. Another easy option is some form of nut, almonds are very healthy and tasty, so you get some protein and healthy fat to keep you going. Measure out one serving into small ziplock bags so you can just grab them and go.
  • mallorycutting
    Options
    Make sure your breakfast includes a lot of high protein items along with fibre and healthy fats. All those things will make you feel full longer. Ensure you are drinking enough water as well. Thirst is often confused by the body as hunger.

What do you normally have for your morning snack? Make sure it has protein and carbs... for example, apple and peanut butter.... cheese on healthy crackers.
  • chmiddleton
    chmiddleton Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If I eat more protein at my breakfast, I stay full longer. I like to eat 2 boiled eggs, and a Yoplait light or some kind of greek yogurt. Even though I eat steel cut oats a lot and sometime cereal, I find that I stay fuller longer with the eggs and yogurt together.

Plus, sometimes I think snacking can be a habit, and we "train" our stomachs to expect to be fed at a certain time. I have had to ignore my hunger sometimes to be able to get a handle on the snacks, and it helps me to reduce calories. Drink you some water when your tummy rumbles, and you know you just had a snack not long ago.