What alcohol drinks do you allow yourself?

Options
Hi there!

I'm not a huge drinker but like to have a drink or two once in a while. I've tried to migrate myself to spirits because they are lower in calories than beer but they are quite "stiff".

What works for you?

Replies

• Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a flavored vodka (smirnoff & stoli are low in calories; 69 per oz) and water. 69 calories per drink and I only need 2 or 3 and that's enough for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    Two of anything works for me. I can fit two into my daily numbers a couple times a week. No more than that. But beer is especially bad for the carbs and the grains, so even though that's my favorite, I have to steer clear for the most part.

Now the ensuing fat/salty food that is a direct result of drinking those two drinks - that doesn't fit so well. That's why it's a once or twice a week thing, max.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've been having Molson Canadian 67 beer, vodka with water and lemon, or a small glass of wine. I've never been a huge drinker anyway, so switching from high calorie, high sugar drinks wasn't a big deal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since I lost weight, I'm not a huge drinker either. :wink:

I allow myself wine daily, beer usually only while throwing darts or watching sports. Liquor very infrequently - shots on occasions, high calorie mixed drinks rarely.
  • jenngi620
    Options
    I've completely quit the sauce for one month to see how it expedites my weight loss. Earlier this year I started with MFP and did well initially but ended up chasing a 10 lb loss after 3 months, not so good. So, being the analytical person I am, and knowing that my diet was AT LEAST 90% on target and my exercise was on the obssessive side of average I've pinpointed booze as a possible reason for the sluggish loss. Doing an experiment now. The first week I was down 3lbs, as expected with a fresh start and some intense effort. Weigh in this week is today, I'm expecting 1-2lbs. If I keep up that rate beyond this week I can conclude that the alcohol had a considerable negative effect on my rate of loss lass time round. Otherwise I will have a beer! :)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was never a huge drinker but I'm particular. I'm not willing to drink alcohol I don't like just for the sake of drinking. So, if I'm going to drink, I know in advance, and I plan into my day so I can drink a few Blue Moon's. Otherwise I don't care much haha. Except in fall I like the occasional hard cider.
  • roddernation
    roddernation Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've completely quit the sauce for one month to see how it expedites my weight loss. Earlier this year I started with MFP and did well initially but ended up chasing a 10 lb loss after 3 months, not so good. So, being the analytical person I am, and knowing that my diet was AT LEAST 90% on target and my exercise was on the obssessive side of average I've pinpointed booze as a possible reason for the sluggish loss. Doing an experiment now. The first week I was down 3lbs, as expected with a fresh start and some intense effort. Weigh in this week is today, I'm expecting 1-2lbs. If I keep up that rate beyond this week I can conclude that the alcohol had a considerable negative effect on my rate of loss lass time round. Otherwise I will have a beer! :)

Oh please let us know what you find out!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Vodka + diet soda (Three Olives pomegranate + cherry dr. pepper) or just hpnotiq usually. I log what I plan on drinking before I drink it though and then plan my meals/snacks around it.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    all of them.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I like white wine, preferably moscato
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I was a pretty heavy drinker, have been since I turned 21 pretty much (now about to turn 26). My drinking comes and goes, in the summer it's a bit more than in the winter, but on average, I'd say from Thurs-Sun, I was drinking.

I decided, what's the point in doing all of this work to get healthy and lose weight if come Thursday I'm going to drink and just throw it all away so I haven't drank in 17 days now, I honestly can see an extreme difference.

First off, I FEEL better, obviously. Secondly, I'm not bloated every morning, my stomach is flat and just looks better without having been drinking the night before or two nights before. Thirdly, I've lost 2 lbs in a week and I've not really changed much up from what I was doing aside from cutting out alcohol all together.

If you think about it, when you're drinking, of course you're consuming empty calories and carbs but most people when they're drinking or after, also eat when they aren't even hungry. I can't tell you how many times I'd stop at Taco Bell after a night of drinking when I had already ate dinner 5 hours prior.

It's a lifestyle change and some people are willing to do it and want to do it and some aren't, for me though, I really like how I feel without it. I'm sure I'll have some here and there, but it's really interesting to see how much it effects my weight and how my body looks.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Mainly a glass or two of wine at home at the weekend. Very rarely beer or cider as too high in calories so if I am on a big night out will stick to spirits and low calorie mixer.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    None . . .except this smiley >>>:drinker:
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    wine is my favorite and I usually only have a glass, a bit more if I've also used it to cook with that night. My husband also home brews beer and I will sometimes sip one of his special brews, I didn't want to try to calculate the calories so I don't drink much of it usually 1/2 cup by volume max. Recently he bottled an amazing pumpkin ale and I have seriously considered having more. I would say I only cook with or drink alcohol 1-2 times a month now, pre MFP wine and beer I averaged 3-4 times per month and often more volume.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of red wine every night. On the weekends, sometimes two. Occasionally an extra-dry gin martini or bourbon, neat.

I enjoy the taste of beer but I can never drink a whole one. I always have to split it with hubby.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Absinthe
    Akvavit
    Arak
    Arrack
    Baijiu
    Borovička
    Cachaça
    Gin
    Damson gin
    Sloe gin
    Gulu
    Horilka
    Kaoliang
    Maotai
    Mezcal
    Neutral grain spirit
    Ogogoro
    Ouzo
    Palinka
    Pisco
    Rakia
    Slivovitz
    Rum
    Soju
    Tequila
    Vodka
    Metaxa
    Whisky
    Bourbon
    Scotch
    Tennessee whiskey
    Brandy
    Armagnac
    Cognac
    Fruit brandy, Eau-de-vie (French), Schnapps - Obstwasser (German)
    Damassine
    Himbeergeist
    Kirsch
    Poire Williams
    Williamine

^ those....and also lots of wine.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Straight shots baby! lol :) Usually dark rum. I use the booze day like a cheat day, since I usually don't do "cheat days" weekly or anything and only drink once or twice a month. But when I do drink... look out lol
  • graywi123
    graywi123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I switched to Captain Morgan spiced rum w/diet coke. 60 calories per shot. The occasional Happy Hour is saved!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Oh, and when I wake up the next day I have no desire to eat so it works out in a very unhealthy way lol
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I drink, wine. I know I shouldn't but o'well