Upset - Need to Vent!

Options

Replies

• journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You were exactly right for doing that--they are a scam--I almost got caught up in working for them, but I realized after doing an initial interview/training, that they were a scam. I never showed back up.
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would tell anyone and everyone that would listen.
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    unfortunately I was one who fell into their trap too. Only good thing that came out of it was the knives. It is crap work but their products are great. But no one can afford things like that at full price these days with the way the economy is. You should definitely report that guy. He should have been professional and just let you have your opinion and shouldn't have followed you.
  • Hourglass_Lass
    Hourglass_Lass Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. Being verbally accosted by someone can catch you totally off guard and leave you with doe eyes and an open mouth., whether or not you have a tongue that would put their knives to shame. I think you handled yourself very well and everyone here has offered exemplary advice!

My only addition would be to strongly consider contacting your University's newspaper about these types of pyramid schemes, scams, bait and switch, etc. ad nauseum. Speak to one of the investigative reporters and let them know your concerns. While they cannot risk libel against the company by directly naming them, they may be able to slant the story in such a way to warn students about what traps they could be walking into. They may also be able to list the companies by name in direct correlation with fraud cases/lawsuits that are of public record.

I applaud you for taking a stand and trying to protect the fellow students of your campus. Thumbs up in my book! :bigsmile:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that Vector is a scam, get over it.

You made him feel dumb. What did you expect him to do? Just let you say whatever you wanted and not say something back? This is the real world. Feel free to say whatever you want to anyone you want to, but expect that they will respond in kind.

Unless he touched you, you are overreacting.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Not sure what county and state you live in but another thing you could do is contact your local county business liscensing office and or police department. One of the reasons some companys are able to scam independant contract employees is they arent complying with local laws. If they make the effort to obtain required permits and liscenses theres a better chance they are going to operate legitimately. While some people in some areas may have had good experiences with this company it doesnt mean all of their distributors are on the level. A few people have mentioned that many sales companys require you to purchase things up front to represent their products. Bear in mind that there have been fly by night companies where the only money they made was from conning so called sales people to buy their product based on outragues profit claims. And we are talking about college students here who may be desperate for a side job and money to get through school.

I've had companies like this come to my door. Teens and young adults selling magazines, cleaning products, etc. They were stuffed into mini vans and put up at hotels three or four people to a room. These kids were making little to nothing and often times worked for 12 hours a day because if your taken out to an unfamiliar town with no transportation home what are you going to do?? These companies are no Avon or Herbalife...there's a reason they target young people to do there sales. And we've all seen the adds in the paper.... MAKE 3,000 A MONTH WORKING FOR YOURSELF!!! Please...the average mature adult knows this is probably BS but a young person who just wants too make money isnt going to be as cautious. The county i live in has cacked down hard on door to door solicitation by requiring any company including fund raising organizations to obtain a special permit. and the police will come out and run them off with a fine ticket in hand if they dont!! Guess what? Fraud complaints are WAY down because of it.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    You're welcome
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

You made him feel dumb. What did you expect him to do? Just let you say whatever you wanted and not say something back? This is the real world. Feel free to say whatever you want to anyone you want to, but expect that they will respond in kind.

I don't think that ever gives a professional man the right to follow a young woman and harass her in public. I wasn't rude. I didn't stand on the table and shout that the guy was a moron. I declined the invitation to apply because I knew it was a scam, and then I calmly walked away.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Not at all, we all need to vent at some point :)
    and tbh, as you said I think he was just doing his job and if they're being especially harsh on him, as an employer, then no he won't appreciate you scaring away customers. I would suggest that you file a complaint or something along those lines but it sounds like that won't work.
    I don't think there is a lot you can do, you did the best you could do with the situation at hand really. Well Done :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I don't think that ever gives a professional man the right to follow a young woman and harass her in public. I wasn't rude. I didn't stand on the table and shout that the guy was a moron. I declined the invitation to apply because I knew it was a scam, and then I calmly walked away.

Anyone has the right to say anything they want at any time. "Professional man" "young woman", it seems like you are actually the same age. You didn't just decline the invitation, you said it was a scam. You said it in a way that could be heard by others. Why shouldn't he have the right to express his feelings as well? You were interrupting his job--maybe a job he really believed in. You were hurting his business. You should expect him to be pissed. Yes, you have the right to your opinion and to express it. However, when you express your opinion, you shouldn't be offended or surprised when someone expresses their opinion back to you.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes, report his *kitten*! That was very unprofessional, inappropriate and downright creepy! :noway:
  • lizblizz2012
    Options

Anyone has the right to say anything they want at any time. "Professional man" "young woman", it seems like you are actually the same age. You didn't just decline the invitation, you said it was a scam. You said it in a way that could be heard by others. Why shouldn't he have the right to express his feelings as well? You were interrupting his job--maybe a job he really believed in. You were hurting his business. You should expect him to be pissed. Yes, you have the right to your opinion and to express it. However, when you express your opinion, you shouldn't be offended or surprised when someone expresses their opinion back to you.

We are most certainly not the same age. He is at least 10 years older than I am. I also don't feel bad "hurting a business" that scams college kids out of money. I was protecting other students. There is a difference between expressing an opinion, and harassment. I was calm and cordial, he was rude and unprofessional. Big difference :smile: Especially if the person is the face of a company who they "believe in". But the point is moot now, I reported it and as far as I know he has been removed. Thank you for your opinion. I have learned from these threads that no matter how innocent a post is, there will always be a Negative Nancy who thinks otherwise. Have a nice day!
  • 6packb450
    Options

Stalking or harrassment is NOT a right
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would definitely contact the school and let them know! You have a right to your opinion and the right to voice it publicly!
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The guy was way out of line. No man should ever follow a woman and accost her like that. Here in Florida we call that a "clean shoot" situation.

Had that happened to my wife or one of my daughters, me and that guy would be coming to an understanding real quick.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I don't care how pissed off you are, a man should never follow and confront a woman like that.
  • schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cutco/Vector = total shadiness. I had a bad experience with them on the other end of the spectrum - a guy showed up at my house, after dark, asking for me by name (I had no contact with any Cutco representatives, had never given my personal information, etc.), demanding that we had an appointment. When I told him we didn't and politely declined to let him in my house and shut the door, he continued to stand and knock and ring my doorbell for several minutes. Then he went and sat in his car in my driveway for another few minutes. Since then I have felt that this company had ridiculous business practices, so it doesn't shock me what you went through with this overzealous campus rep.
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    The guy was way out of line. No man should ever follow a woman and accost her like that. Here in Florida we call that a "clean shoot" situation.

Had that happened to my wife or one of my daughters, me and that guy would be coming to an understanding real quick.

Thank you. I admire your values that seem to be getting more rare every day. I appreciate that there are still people like you in the world.
  • lizblizz2012
    Options
    Cutco/Vector = total shadiness. I had a bad experience with them on the other end of the spectrum - a guy showed up at my house, after dark, asking for me by name (I had no contact with any Cutco representatives, had never given my personal information, etc.), demanding that we had an appointment. When I told him we didn't and politely declined to let him in my house and shut the door, he continued to stand and knock and ring my doorbell for several minutes. Then he went and sat in his car in my driveway for another few minutes. Since then I have felt that this company had ridiculous business practices, so it doesn't shock me what you went through with this overzealous campus rep.

CREEPY! Ugh I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope you notified someone. But yeah. the whole company is just a little.... off.
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have heard of them and you were definitely right to take a stand! Good for you! You probably saved some kids from getting scammed today! I'd report him to student affairs for sure.