Is it true that you gain weight at the "time of the month"?

Options
I want to weigh myself but I heard that you put on weight naturally at the "time of the month" and I don't want to be disappointed.
If it's true, how many days should I wait to weigh myself?
Thanks!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I still weigh but I don't record it. Usually I'm up a pound or so because I'm retaining water. It's up to you whether you weigh or not, but just keep in mind that if your calories have been on target and your scale shows a gain it's only water. It usually takes a few days for me to get back to normal weight.
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it is all based on the individual. Your best bet is to track your weight during it for a few months and see what your body does. I tend to retain water starting 3-4 days before it starts and I loss it all 1-2 days before it is over. Avoiding salt and extra carb can help, also drink lots of water. I skip weigh-ins that week. I know it is just water weight but it still is not nice to see the scale go up.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Some people say they do other's don't, I've never noticed that I do.
    Our weight naturally flucuates from hour to hour and day to day anyway. I find the best thing is to pick a day, once a week or once a month and stick to it regardless.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I used to gain the week before and start losing the week of.

One advantage to menopause - no more of that nonsense.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to lose, so I don't know.
  • madworld1
    Options
    I know I do. It's horrible-- at least 5 pounds of water weight, if not more. Very discouraging.
  • prairiehousewife
    Options
    I do, thank you Aunt Flow. It can be as much as 4 lbs. I just know it happens and think of my weight as being what it was before AF started and see how it comes out after it's ended. I do a fair amount of eating junk food during that time of the month... ;)
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I still weigh but I don't record it. Usually I'm up a pound or so because I'm retaining water. It's up to you whether you weigh or not, but just keep in mind that if your calories have been on target and your scale shows a gain it's only water. It usually takes a few days for me to get back to normal weight.

That is my experience has well.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    absolutely true!!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I want to weigh myself but I heard that you put on weight naturally at the "time of the month" and I don't want to be disappointed.
    If it's true, how many days should I wait to weigh myself?
    Thanks!

Yes. You gain water weight. I lose all that gain a day or two before my periods.
  • sigridolsen
    sigridolsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also gain about 3-5 lbs of water weight. Disappears within a couple of days.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you gain anything, it's usually water weight, so I would wait a least a week after your period ends until you weigh in again. In the meantime, drink A LOT of water.
  • kjheimerl
    Options
    I am with madworld1 - at least 5 pounds....the week before and during so it feels like 2 weeks out of the month I am FAT! UUGGHH...so frustrating.....but oh well.....keep up the good work everyone!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I used to gain 5 lbs each and every time. Very frustrating when you are trying so hard to lose.
  • busdriver507
    Options
    It's true for me. Not unusual to gain 4 pounds! The good thing is after my period the scale shows a nice weightloss!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? Is an extra pound or two going to make you give up?
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is why I am such an advocate for weighing every day and recording the weight. You will learn so much about how your weight fluctuates and then won't have to worry about what may or may not be affecting it. I've learned, for example, that my weight will go up in the week or so leading up to my time of the month, and then drop off just as it starts, but I know for other women the timing is different. The important thing is, it doesn't have anything to do with fat loss or gain. If the gain sticks around for a while, it's probably fat (or muscle or both). If it goes away in a few days, then it was just water retention. Weigh yourself regularly and you'll be able to pull the signal (fat) from the noise (water).
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    depends on the person. I don't weigh in because it's slightly inaccurate for me. More troublesome I turn into a raging crazy psychopath right before it happens.
  • trophybitch
    Options
    A lot of water weight, and some appetite increase usually. Take a water pill for a few days before and it will help with the puffiness and cramping.... I gained 4 pounds last week, then lost them again.... I wouldn't count it...
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can gain about 5-6lbs in the few days before my period. It stalls my weight loss but it comes off about the 3rd day of my period,
    I don't eat any more food, i just bloat