Beachbody DVDS...which do you like the best?

Options
I have been thinking about starting one of their programs and would like other opinions and experience with them. I see Insanity, ChaLean, P90X, etc.

I was love to hear what kind of results people have gotten and if you find it more of a cardio workout or more strength.

Thanks!

P.S. And if you have used another that is not beachbody would love to hear those too!

Replies

• kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've done Power 90, P90X, Insanity, and am now in Insanity: The Asylum. I think all their products work great. I liked Insanity for the rapid fat shred it gives, which is what I needed. But after completing two rounds, I wanted something that would give me some muscle, which P90X does, and that was great too. The asylum seems to be a decent mix of weights and cardio, but since I just started, the jury is out on that.

I would recommend doing one of the less intense programs before getting into P90X or Insanity, etc, just because they are challenging. That said, I probably shouldn't have done Insanity in the condition I was in, but I did, scaled it for me, and had good success. So you can definitely do it if you work hard.

Hit me up if you have any other questions babe! :smile:
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kev! I do have P90X and have tried it but think at this point is well beyond my fitness level lol

I have my cardio 3 days a week and strength 3 days (opposite days) but I have noticed a lot of programs are an everyday, so I wasn't sure if they were supposed to satisfy both or just cardio lol

I used to have slim in 6, was a great workout, but mostly all lower body strength it seemed like and you had to did it 6 days a week, not giving those muscles time to rest and most people on here say it isn't good to not rest. oh so much info to decipher lol
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    Depends on what you are wanting it for. I found I liked Chalean Extreme for strength training a lot more than p90x. The workouts are shorter and you do multiple muscle groups in one day. There is not a lot of cardio though, so if that's what you are looking for you might need to supplement it with something else. Insanity is good if you want a high intensity workout that uses only your own body weight. It is definitely more intense and high impact than p90x or Chalean. I did p90x a couple times when I was just starting to workout and it was ok, but honestly I just always found it boring. I also didn't think the cardio was intense enough and had to supplement it with other things. But some people really like it, so I don't know. I guess it is just personal preference and what type of workout you are looking for!

Personally, I finished Chalean a few times all the way through and now use the "lean for life" phase, only for the three days of strength building. I supplement it with running (this is my main form of exercise), cycling, occasional Insanity workouts, yoga, pilates, and a couple of other cardio DVDs I have for days where the weather keeps me from running. This seems to work the best for me.
  • tingle2
    tingle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I literally JUST got TurboFire in the mail today so I will starting that one tomorrow - I am excited about it and will let you know how it goes!

Amanda
  • andriadean7171
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs is perfect to start with!!! It works the whole body.
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Started with Chalean Extreme. I love her. I only do the 3 days of lifting throughout the week, though, and supplement with the elliptical on alternating cardio days. I think I'll add in her abs stuff soon as well.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I used Turbo Jam a year ago, and I really enoyed it. I am doing my first round of Insanity . . . I love it. Turbo Jam was a great way to get back into a fitness routine being postpartum; Chalene does a great job making it fun and I found the routines fairly easy to pick up (helps that there is a starting video called learn and burn to teach you the basics of the routines). Insanity is exacly that . . . Insane! I started 2 weeks after running a half marathon and I got my *kitten* kicked the first workout . . . lol. I love it though, it's quite different in that it is high intensity, high cardio, and uses a lot of modified, basic moves (pushups, squats, jumping jacks, ect). Between the 2, I like Insanity more, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. What's nice about both is that you don't need any equipment for either, they both come with a great assortment of workouts (so you're not doing the exact same thing everday), and they both come with additional support information (you get recipe ideas and stuff) . Good luck :)
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Im doing a Hybrid of Chalene Extreme and Turbofire, LOVE HER!
  • hollimahoney
    Options
    I've done P90x and P90x2 all the way through. Have done some of the workouts in Insanity, Hip Hop Abs, Rev Abs, Body Gospel, Turbo Jam, Asylum, and 10 minute trainer. Currently doing turbo Fire. I love Turbo Fire for it's quick intense workouts. Never boring and gets a great calorie burn. I loved P90x2 for the shape it gave my body and how strong I was after completing it. Turbo Fire can be modified more easily than P90x2 so I like that also. Those are my 2 favorites. Can't go wrong with a Beachbody workout!
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses!

So it seems like these are more strength training workouts? I do my stuff separate so I wasn't sure how you are supposed to do the dvds? Do you just follow the program as they tell you too or do you modify it to your own workout schedule?

I wasn't sure if I got the dvds if I should using them in place of my strength training or cardio or if most of them included a bit of both.
  • lisamarie2181
    Options
    I literally JUST got TurboFire in the mail today so I will starting that one tomorrow - I am excited about it and will let you know how it goes!

Amanda

Yes Amanda let me know how you like it!! I have heard ALOT about turbo fire and insanity, gonna have to look up some of the others :)
  • kshanika
    kshanika Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I ordered it and it should be here by friday cant wait to get started good luck
  • AlissaAngelo
    AlissaAngelo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've done several.... P90X, P90X2, Insanity, Turbo Fire, Turbo Jam, ChaLEAN Extreme.... the list goes on. In my opinion a good starter is the ChaLEAN Extreme program. I love it, helped me lose my baby weight the first time around and I just recently re-started it to get me through the holidays. The workouts are short, most are less than 45 minutes and EFFECTIVE!! Especially when you combine with healthy eating. I'd be more than happy to talk about it more if you have questions... Chalene Johnson is a fantastic instructor. :)

Alissa
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've done hip hop abs before but I didn't like it!! I'm currently doing Turbo Fire and I love it!!