Is it true that you gain weight at the "time of the month"?

Options
13»

Replies

• KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Can you be more specific about what "that time of the month" is? Do you mean, the 15th around payday, or the early part, or end? I need a specific date, okay, thanks.
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    When I was having them, I've got the implant to stop them for medical reasons, I'd gain up to two to four pounds and then it'd come off a day or so after my period.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am 'weird.' I always stop losing weight a week or even a week and a half prior to the TOTM. Then, during it, I lose weight. A lot. By the time it's over I usually have a 5 lb loss. So it actually gives me a reason to look forward to it!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I usually go up seven freaking pounds. After a few days of drowning in water, I lose four pounds, and then the final three come off over the next week. The whole process takes two weeks (go up one week, back to normal the next, and then I start losing again). It's really, really frustrating, but at least I can look at my weight graph and see the pattern. I weigh every day, so it's really easy to spot where TOM was the criminal.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    oh yeah! 6 pounds last month.....

not to derail....but WTF is that in your profile pic?????!!!!!!

Looks like a baby mouse with a huge dingdong
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    oh yeah! 6 pounds last month.....

not to derail....but WTF is that in your profile pic?????!!!!!!

I think its a baby male rat o_O
  • EnchantedEvening
    Options
    Does it really matter? Is an extra pound or two going to make you give up?
    That's not what she said. She just asked if it's common.
  • EnchantedEvening
    Options
    OK...I don't mean this to be rude..but unless you just started having periods.....how do you NOT know if you do or don't? Don't you know if you get all bloated and stuff when its that time?

If someone is heavy, it's kind of hard to tell when you're bloated. I speak from experience. When clothes are uncomfortable and you feel fat every single day, a few pounds of water weight doesn't feel like anything different. I never thought I got bloated until I started weighing myself and using MFP. I had no idea I gained that much water weight. It freaked me out at first, but then it happened again the next month and I realized what had happened.
  • madworld1
    Options
    I gain, oddly enough though when I take ACV regularly, I don't seem to have that issue during that time..

I'm more concerned with the feeling that my uterus feels like it's about to fall on the floor and squash the urge to hold my crotch as I walk....

For a reference, I would probably just weigh..

Does ACV stand for apple cider vinegar? I just started taking that every day. I have noticed that my stomach doesn't feel as bloated. It's not that TOM, but it feels flatter than usual.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I hate it.

I can't lose any weight a week or two before the TOM. Even if I diet and exercise. And i feel bloated and fat But on my 2 nd day - minus 4-5 pounds at least. It's been like this aaaaaaall my life.
    I guess it's water.
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    I know I do. It's horrible-- at least 5 pounds of water weight, if not more. Very discouraging.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I gain, oddly enough though when I take ACV regularly, I don't seem to have that issue during that time..

I'm more concerned with the feeling that my uterus feels like it's about to fall on the floor and squash the urge to hold my crotch as I walk....

For a reference, I would probably just weigh..

Does ACV stand for apple cider vinegar? I just started taking that every day. I have noticed that my stomach doesn't feel as bloated. It's not that TOM, but it feels flatter than usual.

Yes it does. I heard about it's health benefits somewhere and decided to give it a try... I was NOT a regular person. Once I started it I about fell on the floor, by weeks end I was not only regular but that bloaty feeling I had all the time was gone. It must work partially like a natural diuretic. I didn't even feel bloated or have a gain during TTOM..(most drink it with water, and sometimes a lil honey.. me.. I can't do that, I put it in my green tea, that make a difference too, but I've been drinking the tea forever and all it made me do was pee and have dry mouth).. I wasn't sure though so I stopped taking it for about 4 days.. sure enough.. I could feel the difference.

I'm not going to say it's a miricle or works for everyone, but it works for me. I use Braggs organic.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Can you be more specific about what "that time of the month" is? Do you mean, the 15th around payday, or the early part, or end? I need a specific date, okay, thanks.
    :laugh: :laugh:
    I ALWAYS gain around payday...I'm so tempted to buy junk food when that money rolls in....:noway:

Seriously though...I reiterate my earlier comment...weigh yourself anyway! Its a good idea to know how your body responds to your 'payday' cycles....
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Its just because you are retaining water most of the time, since you are losing...fluids, your body needs to keep some in stock to stay hydrated, Im on my TOM right now, and i didnt gain a single pound, no idea why, i have been drinking A LOT more water, so maybe since my body has enough water to keep hydrated, it doesnt need to stock it, Who knows, but past months i did gain a couple pounds during TOM. Our bodies are weird thats all, but dont worry about it, even if you gain weight is not your real weight, at least in my opinion, i wouldnt log it. :)
  • ClareOH
    Options
    it personally has never affected my weight losses at all but alot of women in my slimming club say it affects them, as its been said, i think its down to the individual
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I know I do. It's horrible-- at least 5 pounds of water weight, if not more. Very discouraging.

This ^^^^^ :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    One time about 2 years ago i made the mistake of getting on the scale on my first day...+8 lbs...I couldn't believe it. I stay away from the scale in general but if I need to step on it, then atleast 4 days after I am done completely.
  • Runs4Pasta
    Runs4Pasta Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always gain a few pounds and clothes feel tight a few days before my period. Settles back to normal within a few days. Although it's all normal actually...simply a natural cycle.