HELP getting to NYC post-Sandy

Options
Seokie
Seokie Posts: 197 Member
NONFITNESS:

Does anyone live in NYC or know anyone who lives or works there? I have to get to the financial district tomorrow for a big exam but idk if it's better to drive or risk public transport?

I see MTA says subways are back up but with 'changes' and I just need some more info - any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Googlemaps said 9A and Harlem river were closed so IDK what to do without more info!!!!

:(

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Not sure but bumping so you can hopefully get info
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about subways.. but my husband takes NJ transit into Manhattan, most lines are back to normal, I think NJCL was on a limited schedule. He said it wasn't bad. You are probably better off taking public transportation vs. driving.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bump hoping you get the help you need
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hi. if you can take public transportation, do so. i wouldn't recommend driving into the city if you can avoid it. you'll have no idea of what kind of roads will be closed.

take public transportation and give your self twice as much time to get there than normal.

call the place giving the exam, and see what they can tell you.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Most of the subways are running downtown, including the 4/5/6 and 2/3. You can check on mta's website. They have a subway recovery map that shows what trains are currently running and what stops they are making.

As for getting into the city, I'm not sure - I know buses are running, but you'd have to check the individual train websites. The LIRR is running (sort of) some service into the city - you will have to plan ahead.
  • Dr_Quest
    Options
    Cab. If the exam is that important, pay a 'professional' to get you to where you need to be.
  • Seokie
    Options
    Thanks for info - I keep checking public transport but I keep seeing thing like "limited service" or "changes" without any further info
  • Seokie
    Options
    bumping
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stephmo86
    Options
    I think everything's gonna be limited service for a while. Check out hopstop.com and http://newyork.hopstop.com/?action=advisories&xfr=vitals for mta info. Give yourself a LOT of extra time.