Help me with baked fish please

Options

Replies

• EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    unless you brought the fish fresh and then froze it no recipe should start off saying "thaw it"

Unless you are landlocked like me and fresh fish is VERY hard to find. *Just Sayin'*

just be careful of the country of origin with your frozen fish...

^^This
  • acawle00
    acawle00 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I thaw tilapia, sprinkle cavenders, broil on 475 for 6-7 minutes until it flakes, then sometimes squirt a little lemon juice on top
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do basil, rosemary and italian herbs on mine! sprinkle a tiny bit of freshly shredded parmesan about 5 minutes before it's done and serve with red roasted potatoes! YUM!
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options
    For tilapia or swai, I bake at 400 in a shallow glass baking dish. Thaw it first. A bit of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Salt, pepper, paprika, or lemon. (But I'm going to try some of the spices recommended above.) Maybe 15 minutes top. It's best to test for flakiness. When I remove it I transfer it to a paper towel to absorb the oil before putting it on my plate.

I do the same as above, however Swai is my favorite for the low calorie/high protein/non fishy taste. I spray the thawed fillets with my olive oil mister, then add Old Bay or Johnny Seasoning, pepper, garlic powder, tumeric and ginger powder. Bake for about 15 mins in a non preheated oven.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    IMO, it really depends on the fish. For mild white fish like orange roughy, tilapia, cod, etc. I season lightly because the fish has such a delicate flavor - a little garlic and/or onion powder, and a sprinkle of dried thyme, basil or marjoram. These are also really good if you marinate them for a few minutes in a herbed vinaigrette dressing before baking. They are also good cooked in a light herbed tomato based sauce.

Salmon has a stonger flavor so can stand a little more flavor. I like to add chili powder and black pepper to it. Though salmon is also very good with little seasoning.

I would never bake steak type fish such as swordfish or tuna. These are best grilled or pan seared. One of my favorite dishes is tuna au poivre (encrusted with cracked peppercorns and cooked rare)
  • SheilaHoover
    Options
    bump
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks for the thread :) Great idea!!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'll bake it from frozen. Usually just put it in tin foil and leave the top open so that the excess moisture gets steamed out. Slice a couple of lemons, put some nice basil on the fish.. sometimes some chili powder to spice it up.

Sea Salt to finish it and serve it with dinner. Yummy!
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Simple baked salmon recipe:

Put foil in your baking dish for easy cleanup. Coat lightly with cooking spray or olive oil, whichever you prefer. Lightly season one side with Tony Chacheres Cajun salt and place salt side down. Lightly season the other side. Please a slice of lemon on top. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Plate it and squeeze some more fresh lemon juice on top. Voila!
  • lovedogslovecats
    lovedogslovecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've done this with both cod & tilapia. Salt & pepper the filets, top with salsa, then with crushed tortilla chips, then shredded sharp cheddar. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until fish flakes easily.
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Great ideas! Bump
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Try using fresh squeezed orange juice instead of lemon.

Also try grilling shark, or tuna steaks.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I bake my fish in parchment paper packets Place the fish in the middle of a square of parchment paper, top with chopped tomatoes, onion slices, a dollop of low-fat butter, a drizzle of lemon juice and spices of your choice. Fold the parchment paper into a closed packet and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. BE CAREFUL when you open the packet, as there will be steam.
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Rinse and pat dry; spread dijon or spicy mustard on the filet and coat with wheat germ. Bake at 325 or 350. It should take about 15 or 20 minutes. Be very careful to take it out of the oven before it gets overdone, or else it will dry out.
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    One trick I found by accident, using what i had on hand. Season with the Mexican Lime salt or Chili Lime salt. Yummm. I always cook fresh or thaw if its frozen. You can pan sear if you use a really good non stick without adding calories. This works best with thinner cuts of fish like tilapia.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I usually get the frozen tilapias or fresh salmon as these are the only 2 I ever find at a reasoable price. For the tilapia I do it 2 ways:

A. 1. Heat pan w/olive oil, add butter (or omit) just before placing thawed fish in the pan (dry it, make sure to get out excess moisture or it can have a weird texture, I use paper towels to press out the excess water)
    I like to season with Mrs. Dash Chili Lime & garlic powder as it reminds me of blackend fish.
    2. Sautee one side until almost done then flip and cook in a heated oven for about another 2-5 minutes depending on thckness of the fish.
    B.* Fresh salmon (including the steaks) can be cooked the same way but I season that with butter, old bay & lemon pepper with thinly sliced onions. Oven shoud be at 350 degrees.

C.Prepare the tilapias the same way includung the drying process and spinkle with garlic powder, black and Parmesan cheese