Ladies... Help?

Options
I've been on MFP for about three months now and have lost about 30 pounds so far, so about 10 pounds a month. I know that's too high because it's throwing off that time of the month (going from missing it altogether one month to now coming every two weeks) but I have my thing set at losing 1 pound a week and am eating about 1600 calories a day when my body burns about 2300 or 2400 at rest.

Any suggestions? Should I just keep on like I am and let my body somehow adjust on it's own or should I drop the weight loss goal to the half pound a week... which I HATE to do but will do it if I have to. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think you can do the math here yourself. You need a deficit of 500/day. You eat 1600, burn 2300-2400. That is 700-800 in deficit. Eat more! (And my TOM was never regular, so I can't answer that)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Losing too much weight does not specifically cause a fluctuation in TOM. Stress would. Being at a very low weight would. Losing 10 lbs per month would probably not.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For me, weight loss changes my hormone balance. I can go from no period to regular to more frequently. Once I am closer to a healthier weight it all balances out and I get back to clockwork again. I personally wouldnt worry about 10 pounds a month. Thats just a tad higher than 2 pounds a week. I would give it more time and see if it balances out and if not then possibly talk to your doctor.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories.

MFP had mine set at 1540 for moderately active, one pound a week loss. I eat back almost all my exercise calories. I have lost 25 pounds since the end of August/first of September.

I got to the point last week where I felt like I was starving all the time. So, I upped my calories to 1800, which after 1540 seems like an awful lot!

And I lost three pounds in five days.

Crazy.

And yes, changes in diet and exercise can definitely impact TOM.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor. I had this problem, not from weight loss, and I would get it checked out as it could be something serious. In my case it was nothing, but at least I have some peace of mind. But honestly, see a doctor if you're having changes in menstrual patterns.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Go to a doctor. ... see a doctor if you're having changes in menstrual patterns.
  • leianno
    Options
    Go to a doctor. I had this problem, not from weight loss, and I would get it checked out as it could be something serious. In my case it was nothing, but at least I have some peace of mind. But honestly, see a doctor if you're having changes in menstrual patterns.

Yup. Totally agree. Consult with your doctor.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Lucky you...it took me over a year to loose 30 lbs.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about three months now and have lost about 30 pounds so far, so about 10 pounds a month. I know that's too high because it's throwing off that time of the month (going from missing it altogether one month to now coming every two weeks) but I have my thing set at losing 1 pound a week and am eating about 1600 calories a day when my body burns about 2300 or 2400 at rest.

Any suggestions? Should I just keep on like I am and let my body somehow adjust on it's own or should I drop the weight loss goal to the half pound a week... which I HATE to do but will do it if I have to. Has anyone else had this problem?

Everyone is different. Listen to your body. It's the end game not the calorie counter tools or what any of us say. When in doubt listen to your body and your doctor, not us.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

Some people can eat at a larger calorie deficit and some can not. It comes down to many things. Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options

I agree with this. If you're concerned, see your doctor.
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My doc said that your weight and diet/exercise DO affect your cycle. You should absolutely get a pap and talk to your gyno about this, if for nothing more than peace of mind. Being over weight caused me to have endometriosis and POS. Mine was crazy random, sometimes I would go months without having one. Ever since I started losing weight and exercising, it has come regularly.
  • lilylover2012
    lilylover2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the imput everyone! If it doesn't even out soon, I will go see the doctor. The thing is that I know beyond a doubt it isn't stress and I've always been like clockwork for the past 10 years UNTIL I started to watch my calories. Anyway, like I said, thank you all. It's really appreciated!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've lost the same amount of weight as you in the same period of time and I've been regular.
    I can understand how you'd be worried though. Were you regular before you started losing weight? There could be a few factors at play here, but I'd go to the doctor first to rule out anything serious.