can you still eat certain junk/fast foods and lose weight?

Options
Can you eat these things and be under your calorie goal and still lose weight? im 5'2 and i get 1200 calories a day... will I still lose some weight? I am a junk food addict and trying to help myself... that is why I am here, also to hopefully lose 10 pounds but my main idea is to stop eating junk/fast food because its controlling my life and I get in the worse mood if I dont get any and take the anger out on others.... So I been doing baby steps .... Alot better when I first started 3 days ago though!!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Just lose weight? Yes, as long as you are in calorie deficit.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yeah as long as it's within your calorie deflict. You probably won't feel too great though.
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just do what you are doing and cut it out of your diet in baby steps.

Try to slowly start eating healthier and start eating in a way that you will be able to continue to uphold in the future. Otherwise all the weight loss will be for nothing!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Technically, yes, you can still eat these things and lose weight, but you'll feel like crap and be hungry all the time. If you can fit maybe one square of dark chocolate or one fun-sized candy bar into you calorie allotment per day, go for it. Hopefully it will take the edge off of the craving and not lead to a Snickers binge. As for fast food, there isn't really anything healthy out there. Even the really good stuff is loaded with sodium and hidden calories. Try to limit yourself as much as you can, and best luck reaching your goals.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it is harder when you only have 1200 calories to work with.

I DO eat fast food on occasion. A Wendy's single ( with cheese)with the top bun removed is about 530 calories. A full sized apple pecan chicken salad ( one dressing) is 500 calories. A chipotle burrito bowl is almost 700 calories! Most of the time I don't eat the fries...and Friday I made the mistake of ordering a milkshake--half of a regular shake was almost 400 calories!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yeah as long as it's within your calorie deflict. You probably won't feel too great though.
    haha ok thank u everyone! and yes I think I have started feeling like crap.. after eating alot of junk today.. even though it was little portions...
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A calorie is not a calorie. What is your diet like?
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would need to look at what you are eating now.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    what!? lol......... does that mean haha no offense.... I dont get it.. and my diary is wide open 4 public haha.. just so u know...
  • ReverseEngineered
    Options
    The problem with fast food is most of it is high-calorie. Even healthy restaurants have many high-calorie items. Try reading the nutritional info (or using the MFP food database) before you choose what to eat.

With only 1200 calories, a bag of chips could easily be 1/4 of your daily intake, but it's not healthy or filling, so it will make the rest of the day harder. If you want junk food, try to limit it to only a few squares of chocolate or a 40g bag of chips.

You can also earn more calories by exercising. It takes a lot to burn off a 300 calorie bag of chips, but if you're working out anyway, you can afford a bit more.

Also, make sure you're getting enough nutrition. You still need vitamins, minerals, and protein. You also don't want too much sodium, which most snack foods have in abundance.

Try to eat as healthy as you can stand. You can still have a snack once in a while, but resist the urge to make it a routine. Don't let your cravings control you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I believe you can eat anything in small amounts and still lose weight. But it has to be in balance.

For example, I eat chips every few weeks. But I literally count out my 16 chip serving and enjoyed every one of them. I like ice cream. I eat at 1/4 cup at a time and love every bite.

Remember - the first bite always tastes the best.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yep. No doubt about it. However, if you are eating only 1200 calories of junk food all day, there is also no doubt that you are very malnourished.
  • mhaight85
    Options
    When a junk food craving hits, try to eat something healthy first and then if you still want the junk just have a small portion. My husband is not on board with the whole losing weight thing and gets so offended when I don't eat the junk he cooks, so I eat small helpings of it and try to balance the rest of the day with healthy options.

If you feel like you are "depriving yourself" of treats I think you'll be less likely to stick with it. So I say indulge once in awhile but be aware of serving sizes! When you realize how small a serving is you may find it's not worth it. There are a lot of healthier options you can substitute.

If you are craving sweets a bowl of fruit with 1 serving of whip cream is going to pack way less fat/calories than a donut or chocolate bar, for example, and pack way more nutrition!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    If you have a particular favorite guilty pleasure, (example McDonalds big mac with fries), try cutting it back to once a week. You will feel less deprived, and it will give you something to look forward to.

This past weekend mine was a waffle breakfast at my local eatery with all of the fixin's (bacon, etc.) I don't eat like that every day obviously, but it's a nice treat once in awhile...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    And ditto on the fruit in place of sweets. I do that, and it works like a charm.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    And ditto on the fruit in place of sweets. I do that, and it works like a charm.

I have to agree with this!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    ok cool nice to know!!! I will try that...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Then what else is a calorie?
  • bragaswag
    Options
    i had two grilled chicken breasts from KFC for 440 calories. 80g of protein :)
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options

Then what else is a calorie?
    haha thats funny!! I thought the same thing... I was very confused