Trying to Get My 10 Year Old Boy Fit too.

Options
2»

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Day one of my son getting fit, he decided he wanted to go to the gym with me. We got up at 4am(UGH) .Obviously we were the only nuts there at that time. He rode the bike and wanted to try the eliptical. I set him up for low resistance and he did great. He had fun watching the calories calculate. Also this morning, he measured his own portion of cereal in the measuring cup without me mentioning it. He's excited to go back tomorrow. We also calculated together what his packed lunch totalled calorie wise. Its very eye opening to both of us.
  • hanr
    hanr Posts: 20
    Options
    Hey there,
    I think it's great that you are trying to get healthy and help your son too. I suppose I just think it's a bit worrying to have a 10 year old on a diet and going to the gym??? The best thing you can do is lead by example, (which it seems you are doing, good job!) and encourage good eating habits and physical activity. I guess I think a 10 year old should be playing sports and running around with his friends, not waking up at 4am to go to the gym? While he may seem to know everything and be very 'with it', emotionally a 10 year old is not fully developed, so making a point of him being overweight may make matter worse instead of better. I wonder how much he is overweight?? Because until kids finish growing you don't know if it'll stay or even out as they grow taller? Limiting his calories too much may even impede his growth..

Anyhow. I'm not at all judging, just offering an opinion, as my weight was made a point of when I was young and it really affected me negatively. My family eats poorly, and as a result I was a bit of a pudgy kid. Not fat at all really, but my older sister told me from a young age that I was fat and that if I kept eating so much then nobody would ever love me. This is extreme I know, but I grew up with serious food issues, hardly eating sometimes and binging other times. As a result I'm now 22 and weigh 110kg (245lbs or so I think?) and have only just started to take control of my eating. I feel that if she had never said these things I would be much better off, as I was a really active kid and my weight probably would have evened out as I grew, but instead I developed body issues and didn't want to do any activities like swimming in front of people that showed 'how fat' I was. I guess all I'm saying is try to be sensitive and aware that the things you say to a child affect them more than it does adults.

Also, this is a bit random, but a great way to get veges in is to make spaghetti bolognaise with grated carrot and zucchini.. It's delicious!!
    Grate 5 or so carrots and 3 zucchinis and cook this with onion/garlic/herbs whatever you would usually put in. Let it cook for awhile with a bit of olive oil so it goes soft. Then mix in tomato paste, then mince. Cook another 15mins or so until the mince is cooked. A general rule I use is to put in a bit more carrot and zucchini than there is mince - it all mushes together into a great bolognese sauce and you can't even taste the veges! My sister even put in grated mushroom the other day (which I despise) and I didn't even notice :)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much he is overweight?? Because until kids finish growing you don't know if it'll stay or even out as they grow taller?

Quite frankly, *NO*. When I was a child, noone seemed to worry so much about me being overweight (except peers teasing me). I wasn't incredibly overweight and I must've heard that I"ll "grow out of it" a gazillion times. And when I hit a growth spurt and hit puberty, I did slim down a little... but then I continued to gain weight.... Until I was 270 pounds at 5'4" tall.

**My being a fat kid wasn't the problem. My eating and exercise habits were the problem.**
    I can understand where you're coming from, but this wonderful mother doesn't sound so concerned about her child being chubby -- What I got from her post is that she's concerned about his eating and exercise habits and educating him about those subjects. That shouldn't be worrisome. It's proactive and commendable.

There's a big difference between wanting to focus on education and implementation of a healthy lifestyle at an early age and ridiculing a child for being fat.
  • hanr
    Options
    All I was trying to say (in a roundabout, let's tell my life story kind of way) is that I think it's not quite healthy for a 10 year old child to be counting calories, dieting and going to the gym.

I'm not implying that his mother is doing wrong by trying to teach her child about food and healthy habits, not at all. I think its wonderful that she's trying to improve the health of herself and her son. I just think that there is a less invasive way of doing this, as other posts have pointed out (getting rid of junk food, encouraging more veges, encouraging sport, limiting tv time etc). The only reason I posted my opinion is that she is obviously looking for some advice and other people's points of view, or else she would not be posting on here.

Personally, if I was a 10 year old and all my peers were eating whatever they wanted and I was counting everything I ate I would develop a complex.

And some kids do grow out of their 'puppy fat', in fact many of my friends did just that as we grew up, especially the boys.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    You expressed your opinion and I expressed mine. There's no need to defend yourself. :flowerforyou:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching a child about nutrition. Calories are part of nutrition. It could be a big eye opener for a kid to think "Okay, I should be eating around 2000 calories a day... but this candy bar has 300 calories... and I eat one every day!" Or "Okay, this soda has 300 calories for one glass -- and I drink 3 glasses a day -- that's almost half of my calories!"

But then again, I'm one who loves to know how stuff works. Instead of just being told what I should and should not do, I need to know WHY I should and should not do it. The explanation would've definitely helped me as a child.

The situation doesn't sound nearly as extreme as you're trying to make it is all. Again, a huge difference between teaching and forcing or teaching and ridiculing.
  • hanr
    Options
    True. Apologies. :flowerforyou:
    Though when someone says just after my post: "Quite frankly, *NO*" it does tend to make me a tad defensive! :tongue:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    You expressed your opinion and I expressed mine. There's no need to defend yourself. :flowerforyou:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching a child about nutrition. Calories are part of nutrition. It could be a big eye opener for a kid to think "Okay, I should be eating around 2000 calories a day... but this candy bar has 300 calories... and I eat one every day!" Or "Okay, this soda has 300 calories for one glass -- and I drink 3 glasses a day -- that's almost half of my calories!"

But then again, I'm one who loves to know how stuff works. Instead of just being told what I should and should not do, I need to know WHY I should and should not do it. The explanation would've definitely helped me as a child.

The situation doesn't sound nearly as extreme as you're trying to make it is all. Again, a huge difference between teaching and forcing or teaching and ridiculing.

I agree with this. My daughter is only 6 but she has learned how to fuel her body properly. That doesn't mean that she counts cals yet...she knows to eat the rainbow and enjoy trying new grains. She helps with the shopping and the gardening (we grow as much of our food as possible). She knows about excersize and enjoys it...she takes ballet, does yoga with me, and takes walks with me and our 3 dogs. That doesn't mean that she doesn't enjoy junk food every once in a while. We made oatmeal cookies with reese pieces last night (she had 3 cookies) and she drink one cup of coke at her Nanny's house every weekend (we don't keep it in the house but if she's over there then I'm not going to deny her-she usually asks for water). Teaching kids about nutrition and excersize is one thing but forcing them to do something that they don't want to do is entirely different...so is calling them chubby (I highly doubt that this mom calls her son fat).
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have not read what everyone else has written - but wanted to quickly respond to you.

First - call his pediatrician. Last year when I started MFP - my son (11 at the time) showed an interest in eating healthier too. I called his pediatrician to find out how many calories he should be eating. They told me #1 - they don't believe in kids dieting... they should grow into whatever extra weight they have (extremely obese kids being the exception) #2 - they could only give me a "range" - and the range was huge - 3400 - 4300 calories depending on his activity level (my son plays basketball, baseball, football and exercises for the fun of it) #3 - to focus less on calories and more on nutrition.

If you're buying only good stuff and have healthy and tasty options for him - he'll have no choice but to make good decisions. Focus on "the family" getting healthy - not losing weight. Ask him to take a walk with you, we have awesome conversations while walking together. Play Wii Fit with him - my son loves to beat me at the hula hoop.

The best thing you can do is be a good example.

When I was younger (about 10) my dad told me that I was getting a little heavy. My mom took me to Weight Watchers... there I sat with a bunch of HEAVY people - and that's who I related to. Was I fat? Nope... not at all - I was getting ready to go through a growth spurt more than likely. But for the rest of my life - I related more to a fat person than to thin people. Fat was my "normal".
    Concentrate on "health" and "nutrition". Admit that you haven't always made the right decisions and you want to give him a leg-up on nutrition early.

Don't focus on weight because at that age it's a constantly changing thing that they don't have much control over!
  • shanerylee
    Options
    Hi. Thank you for your opinions and your mentioning of your experience. Going to the gym at 4am is extreme, but it was the only time we could go, cause kids really arent allowed to be there when its busy. We get up at 5am anyway for school, so I thought this wasnt too bad. I am also going to tweek the nightly bedtime to make up for this.

He isnt really counting calories as much as just getting a realization of making better choices and getting more good stuff out of his calories. He is involved in hockey and loves to play. We live in a remote area with no kids around, I try my best every weekend to have playdates with his friends at our house to fullfill this. We have a huge amount of heart disease and diabetes on both sides and I just want to avoid all that. I have never told him he is overweight, I just told him we both need to make better choices and get fit. He enjoyed the gym so much today and I am so proud of his enthusiasm, he actually started to motivate me. I just hope it lasts and we can keep it fun. HE has already been called fat at school by a very little girl, who funny enough is overweight also. so he is already self conscious. ITs my job as his mom to make things right. I feel responsible for him being chubby, and I didnt lead by example. I love him so much, I want to avoid any health issues possible, and really promote healthy eating so he can have the best life possible. Someone posted getting a pedometer and challenge him to take a certain amount of steps per day. I got one today and he is so excited for the challenge. Being random and getting back to the gym, he was really admiring some fit men at the gym this morning. I could see the look in his eyes. He doesnt have a male role model at home, so I felt this was good for him to see that it takes work and commitment and that the end result is awesome.

Thank you to everyone for all your help with this. I felt so inspired by some of your stories, I actually cried.
    God Bless and Ill keep you posted on our journey
  • shanerylee
    Options
    Thank you for your words. I would never call him fat. Keeping it fun is the key. Im not forbidding foods, IM just putting it out there that there are better choices out there. Its my feeling that forbidding is not good. Variety is the key, and portion control is also important for us. Last night he wanted a second helping of a lean baked pork chop and orange juice. I carefully said, lets check the cals on the oj just for fun. It was 140 cals, and the chop was 120. I let him make the choice of one, he chose the chop :)
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Thank you for your words. I would never call him fat. Keeping it fun is the key. Im not forbidding foods, IM just putting it out there that there are better choices out there. Its my feeling that forbidding is not good. Variety is the key, and portion control is also important for us. Last night he wanted a second helping of a lean baked pork chop and orange juice. I carefully said, lets check the cals on the oj just for fun. It was 140 cals, and the chop was 120. I let him make the choice of one, he chose the chop :)

Awesome! Sounds like you have it under control. I will say that eating more healthy and being more active has done amazing things for my whole family... we all support one another and really... it simply started with me deciding to do it for myself. What most kids miss today that other generations had... playing... real life playing. Running, skipping, jumping - just for the fun of it!

I just wanted to make you aware of the vast calorie difference for kids vs. adults... I was shocked! I had searched the internet extensively and could not find anything. Moreover - it was like pulling teeth to get the pediatrician to understand that I was not going to put him on a diet - that HE was interested in knowing what he should be taking in.

Soda is now a "treat" that only takes place outside of our home. We're learning that treats are just that... not an everyday occurence!
    Keep up the good work and let me know how he's doing!
  • shanerylee
    Options
    Some of you asked for updates during the journey. I hope Im not boring the hell out of you all. My son in just a weeks time looks different in the face. He has slimmed down already. We have done the gym together a few days and he as really impressed me with his ability to do the treadmill and the eliptical. I guess I really never gave him credit for being able to do it and not fall off, (im a worrier). I had a talk with my father who we are going on our cruise with next week, the man is thin and loves to eat junk. I prepped him on making good choices at the buffet himself so he could set a could example for Shane. He seems to be on board and said that us doing this and made him take a long hard look at himself and he wants to get healthy too.

Shane has been making really good choices on his own with his foods and loves his special snack bin where I have snacks that he can have portioned already in baggies. He is still not willing to go outside the box with other fruits and veggies.

Tonight we are making the switch from beef tacos to turkey tacos, should be interesting. Last night we were at our local sports plex for my daughters practice and there was a bake sale. I watched as all the parents were letting their kids buy multiples of chocolates, pop rocks, tomato pie and soda. I let Shane have one item because I didnt want to make him feel bad and he had eaten well all day. He then said "mom this was probably about 200 calories, so I am going to go run in the hockey area til I burn it off"" <3
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    sign him up for sports

It would be a fun way for him to exercise
  • shanerylee
    Options
    He is signed up for hockey and does it thru the winter months. He doesnt care for baseball anymore, so we are looking into kickboxing.
  • kilburni
    kilburni Posts: 22
    Options
    I love what you're doing teaching him calories. I'm a very math oriented person so now that I know how many calories I burn in a day and how many calories are in one pound of fat (3,500 for those of you that haven't found it yet) it has become very easy to turn weight loss into a math problem and realize achievable goals.

I'd agree that looking into sports is definitely a good thing! I didn't play football as a kid (my mom was always afraid of me getting hurt so I played soccer and basketball) but I definitely wish that I had...they have pretty intense practices from a young age and it's definitely a great way to learn how to work out for the rest of your life. My roommate played football as a kid and still has a workout regimen that he developed through jr. high and high school that he utilizes (albeit a little more sparingly) to this day. So if you're not the type to worry about him playing a contact sport and he has some interest, definitely look into it! :)
  • sonjavon
    Options
    I love what you're doing teaching him calories. I'm a very math oriented person so now that I know how many calories I burn in a day and how many calories are in one pound of fat (3,500 for those of you that haven't found it yet) it has become very easy to turn weight loss into a math problem and realize achievable goals.

I'd agree that looking into sports is definitely a good thing! I didn't play football as a kid (my mom was always afraid of me getting hurt so I played soccer and basketball) but I definitely wish that I had...they have pretty intense practices from a young age and it's definitely a great way to learn how to work out for the rest of your life. My roommate played football as a kid and still has a workout regimen that he developed through jr. high and high school that he utilizes (albeit a little more sparingly) to this day. So if you're not the type to worry about him playing a contact sport and he has some interest, definitely look into it! :)

Even if you are the type to worry about a contact sport - let him try it. My son is 12 and has played for 5 years... it's been the greatest experience in the world for him! He's learned so much self discipline, teamwork and truly knows what it means to push his body to its limits. I have to laugh though because I never thought I'd be on the sidelines yelling... "HIT SOMEBODY!"
  • shanerylee
    Options
    Thanks so much for your comments. The math part he is really into, he keeps logging it in daily on his itouch! He plays flag football, and despite the fact that he loves tackle football, he doesnt want to wear the padding. I have tried to encourage him and I think he has such bad memories from when he played competive lacrosse a few years ago and was overly hot, he doesnt want to have anything to do with it. Although he plays hockey indoors and is padded up and doesnt mind. I have stopped battling and move onto other options. We are looking into kickboxing, and will also do something else. He does a lot of swimming and running at the all day summer camp they go to in the summer, so hopefully that will help in addition to trying follow me to the gym :)
    thanks again for all your pointers.