LADIES....PMS problems?

Options
So this question/statement is about periods so if this offends you I'm sorry, do not continue reading!! :noway: .....Okay, so at least a week before i get my period i obviously feel huge, but i also lose all motivation to exercise and i really think i can (and pretty much do) eat what i want! Do these feelings over take anyone else too? Its a week long and i know its hormonal but it feels uncontrollable. Then as soon as my first or second day comes its like starting all over to feeling great and motivated. problem is that It is so frustrating to have 3 weeks of awesomeness then have it all seem to be taken away by something i can not control! do you have any tips? i am getting so frustrated with this and it is my biggest obstacle but i never seem to see anyone else talking about it :sad: help!

Replies

• hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'll be honest, the first day I start my period.There is no way I can work out...I bleed way too much.And have stomach cramps. I tried the treadmill once and after 3 mins I realized not posible.....I felt awful. So with that being said, I will take the first day off and then get right back on the workout wagaon..Just don't go extreme that I can't workout...:)
    I used to eat everything but that would just make it worse and this comes around every month, so I just make sure I have healthy snacks around so if I get that way....I can snack and not feel bad.....Oh and I put up an unflattering picture of me on the pantry and fridge to remind me of what this will lead up to...I am trying to lose weight...I started taking B12 and vitamins for sure to help...you should consult a dr.
    And good luck
  • Christina9388
    Options
    I struggle with this too and I've tried different things to help with these cravings and loss of motivation. I've found it helpful to make a promise to myself that for every workout I miss during this week prior to my period, that I must do it during the next week. By making this promise to myself and sticking to it, I feel more motivated to workout during this tough week even though all I want to do is lay around and eat chocolate!
  • Bethypfy
    Options
    Yes i should be more prepared since i know when it will come. that is what i should do. I just need to keep working out. I get so blah and crappy feeling. thank you that helps me realize some things i can do
  • Bethypfy
    Options
    I struggle with this too and I've tried different things to help with these cravings and loss of motivation. I've found it helpful to make a promise to myself that for every workout I miss during this week prior to my period, that I must do it during the next week. By making this promise to myself and sticking to it, I feel more motivated to workout during this tough week even though all I want to do is lay around and eat chocolate!

Good idea! i feel so guilty about missing/messing up days!
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    currently experiencing the same issue, and yes i have a terrible time with controlling myself! my moods are way out there and my cravings go out the roof.... i indulge in some things, i have to, but then i try to get right back on the wagon afterwards....
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Since I started on MFP, I think I've become more in tune with my cycles, or something, and with calorie logging, it's really easy to see the days I most often go over and eat more processed foods tends to start about 5 days prior to TOM. I find it frustrating too. However, it seems like giving in some to my cravings (within reason) helps me not to binge. What I've tried to do is get extra sleep if at all possible, drink an extra glass of water each day, take maybe 1 extra rest day from exercise. Also, if I can limit the going over on calories to 200 or less, the week after this, when my appetite goes back to normal, I use my "not that hungry" days to make up the difference. So far it has worked for me.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yes i should be more prepared since i know when it will come. that is what i should do. I just need to keep working out. I get so blah and crappy feeling. thank you that helps me realize some things i can do

this ^^ :)

take your midol, get your head right, double protect and wear your baggy gym clothes... cowgirl up :)

if we always let our TOM take over us, we would never get anywhere :p

stay strong :)
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I go easy on the exercise on day 1. But I get out and walk because if I just sit around it makes everything worse. I leave a little wiggle room in my daily calories for a few squares of chocolate or some extra chocolate milk.

Next day it's back to work. I take some Aleve if I need to and go on with my day. Do I feel like crap? Sure. Do I feel worse if I eat a bunch of junk/comfort food and sit around all day? You bet.

You can't control your hormones but you can control how you handle them. IMO saying eating and not working out during you TOM is something you "have no control over" is a cop-out. Don't let yourself get away with it. You can do it. We all can.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am just like you in that the symptoms start well ahead of time and then literally all hell breaks loose. I am in so much pain the first 36 hours that I lay at home & cry and puke my guts out. Then the next day I feel like I was run over by a truck and then backed over again. Before and after that I am so hungry I eat myself out of the house. I am emotional wreck and literally go from an angel to a devil during that TOM. It is not until a few days after that I feel human again. So no I don't exercise at all during that TOM. I am too dizzy to anyway.

So what I do is similar to how some people have a cheat day. They try to be good about their eating all week and then allow themself some pizza or something on Saturday. I use that theory with that TOM. I try to be as good as possible all month so that whatever happens during that TOM happens, and then I get back on track again. It is a fact of life and I don't beat myself up about it.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    Instead of doing a hardcore workout just stretch while you watch tv for half hr or so, or go for a nice walk. And I don't know about you but I CRAVE chocolate, so I keep small pieces, like single serving things. Dark chocolate is usually best but hershey kisses work too, and I just only eat one or two when i'm desperately craving the chocolate. Also I like comfort foods. you might want to eat junk but try to find the foods you love that aren't all that bad. Like maybe pb&j on wheat with some apple slices? Chocolate milk - get skim - in moderation. I like to snack on nuts and cheese, or apples/grapes/berries and some kind of cheese.... Make yourself a chicken sandwich or a BLT.... I don't know there have to be some things you can eat that maybe aren't ideal but aren't horrible ya know?
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    First 2 days I don't exercise. I am on painkillers and don't need anything. I don't eat much either. The week before, oh myyyyyyy, I cry, I fight, I scream, I eat non stop.

let me say it this way - when I have PMS, people know it.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I pretty much wanna eat anything that isn't nailed down the week before and the days leading into that TOM. Hungry hungry hungry. And never for ANYTHING worth eating! LOL
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    oh boy, I get hungrier, gain 6-8 pounds and have cramps also but would rather have that then menopause u know. I just don't weigh myself 3 days before, during or a couple days after and I'm alright....
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Craving chocolate like mad this last few days, just discovered this site which you ladies might like to check out

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep I get so damn hungry that it does take all I have to not eat everything I see. I burn a vanilla candle & that seems to not only help me stop wanting to eat, but the bloating for some reason. 4 months no bloating :)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

take your midol, get your head right, double protect and wear your baggy gym clothes... cowgirl up :)

if we always let our TOM take over us, we would never get anywhere :p

stay strong :)
    Just like this! And don't get on the scale.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, I definitely understand this one! Actually my ridiculous TOM is a huge reason I want to get in shape. Ever since I was young (and I've always been heavy), I've had periods that literally last 7 days, that are sooo bad I have to use overnight pads all the time, I get such bad pains and some awful stomach issues that I cannot even move. It's insane. I've tried to work around that now and find "healthy" alternatives to my cravings. First and foremost-do NOT keep what you crave most in the house. For me, it's usually salty foods and carbs-potato chips, french fries, bread, biscuits, rolls, anything like that. Cannot be around when this happens. If I'm craving chocolate, I let myself have small portions. Maybe one cookie or a mini-size candy bar. Depriving yourself doesn't help, but I also try to plan in advance. Biggest lifesaver there is! I naturally plan out my days ahead of time so that I don't leave room for snacking, so I especially do this at that time to make sure I am getting everything I need. And also, vitamins help a lot too! I take two a day when that's happening. Hope some of this helps!
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    Oh yes. It's a real sucker. The first several days exhaust me and the week before my period is terrible. I have PCOS and it just hits me hard.
    I usually give myself one day out of it to be a pig. Like one meal. Last time I went to Mcdonalds and got a giant, greasy burger. Totally not needed, but it felt like bliss.
    This time I am making better choices and trying to keep my calorie intake reasonable. Even just going for a walk helps a bit too, plus it gives you more calories to eat.

It just takes practice, the more times you can have self control the easier it will get. If working out is too much of a pest, then just worry about calories. You'll still lose weight :)
  • lilnach
    Options
    was just about to ask this myself, went to the gym... couldnt last longer than a half hour... i thought the ibprofuen kicked in but pain came out of nowhere -__-

oh woman troubles :x
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Prior to losing weight I never really suffered at TOM, maybe some back pain and that general blah feeling but other than that I was pretty much normal.
    Over the past few months with the healthier and fitter I am getting the more I suffer! To the point where the pain woke me in the middle of the night on Sunday, I want to eat the contents of our house, I'm a complete b**ch and overall feel awful. Monday was my first full day and I felt awful but was determined to drag my sorry butt to my exercise class even though it was the last thing I wanted to do but I came out feeling 100 times better, a few hours later the pain crept back in but it goes to show that exercise does help. I allow myself to eat closer to goal and try to exercise that bit extra so I have more calories to consume in chocolate if I really need it. This is currently the only major downside to my weight loss journey :wink: