protein, carbs etc

Options
So what if you get up to your calories but go over on something else? Like when I get close to my 1,200 calories,I am over on protein. Should you still try to get your calories even if you go over on other stuff?

Replies

• butterfly4u2us
    Options
    So what if you get up to your calories but go over on something else? Like when I get close to my 1,200 calories,I am over on protein. Should you still try to get your calories even if you go over on other stuff?
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I have the same problem, and my percentages vary from day to day. Unless you eat the same stuff each day, it would be quite hard to stick to your exact ratios. For weight loss, I think calories are the most important factor, I think the percentages are mainly for health reasons. It also depends what eating plan you are following, I'm doing South Beach which is higher protein than is recommended on here.

So I'd say yes, do eat your calories, but maybe try to get them from a healthy source and something that is a good source of what you are lacking (e.g. if you need more carbs, try a banana, if it's protein you need, try some low fat cottage cheese)
  • BYEBYEBELLY
    BYEBYEBELLY Posts: 53
    Options
    I am always going over on protein as well. Thanks for asking this question, I am curious too.
  • bwfc123
    bwfc123 Posts: 5
    Options
    A good rule of thumb would be to exceed on Protein, but stay under on fats and carbs. As a previous participant in the Protein Power Plan, I would advise against getting obsessed about only protein. However, the reason why I put pounds on is because I eat too much pasta and bread and not enough high protein sources. My diet doctor told me to not worry about going over on the protein, so I've exceeded it every day by about 50-75% for 2 weeks, and I've lost three pounds without breaking a sweat. Eating more protein and more complex carbs will help contain hunger.