I want to join a gym

Options
Hi,

I got a serious question for you guys. I have been trying for months to find a gym in the Winnipeg area that I can sign up with. I want a month to month membership but I do not want to give out any banking or credit information. I want to prepay thirty days, and then when that time runs out, if I don't renew it, it expires. Believe it or not, but not even the YMCA offers something like that.

With my line of work I just can't afford to sign up for any form of contract at all. I don't want to get caught into something I can't afford if anything happens.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can go?

Thanks.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You mentioned the Y. They do draft out of bank accounts but there isn't an commitment. All you do is tell them to cancel I believe 15 days before the bank draft. I sort of like your idea about paying monthly cash but having it ocme out of my account makes me one want to have the money to cover it because I don't think about it and two makes me want to go since I paid for it. '
    Good luck in your search.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Try to find a small, private gym and ask them. They usually have owners on site or available by phone to speak to as opposed to the main gyms who have huge corporate things to deal with. Maybe even call personal trainers in your area. Depending on your goals, you may be able to spend $ on a personal trainer to help you with exercises you can do at home, then you won't have to worry about a gym-just the up front cost of a few sessions with a PT>
  • luncia
    Options
    The problem is here there is a lot of people that seem to just take money out of your accounts then refuse to refund your account when you are in the right. That's why I don't like giving anyone my banking information. It is a common problem here and a few years ago there were a lot of shows on fitness club scams too.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    fellow winnipeger here!!

i used to go to the Y and they let me cancel whenever but maybe that changed...

maybe try snap fitness?

or CROSSFIT *i love crossfit*
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    thats why most gyms make you pay first month and last month, so the moment you cancel, your last month will already be covered. And I work at a bank, so yes once you give a merchant your acct information you are authorizing them to debit you account
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You mentioned the Y. They do draft out of bank accounts but there isn't an commitment. All you do is tell them to cancel I believe 15 days before the bank draft. I sort of like your idea about paying monthly cash but having it ocme out of my account makes me one want to have the money to cover it because I don't think about it and two makes me want to go since I paid for it. '
    Good luck in your search.

This! My family belongs to the Y. And we have either 15 days for 30 days to cancel (basically about a month's notice). So it isn't a long term contract. But if you cancel, you have to pay the registration fee again, unless you join during a special.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Peg City girl here too, but I don't really have any advice for you. I go to Shapes and the only thing I know that they offer is 3 month memberships, but I believe they want your banking information. In this day and age, it might be hard to find a place that won't ask for that.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Not from the US, but try and find a small local gym - not a chain. Nearly every gym round here you have to sign up for 2, and give card details. My gym though is really small, family run, you just give them your membership money each month (don't even have a card machine, so it's cash) They keep a piece of card for everyone there, and just write down when it expires.