Slow Fruit Salad!

Options
kaytbognar
kaytbognar Posts: 249
So, lately I've been reading a lot about the Slow Food movement so I figured I would take advantage of the lovely local fruit that's around and make a killer fruit salad:

1/2 watermelon
6 extra small bananas (or 3 regular sized bananas)
3 oranges
2-3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 to 2/3 shredded coconut (toasted if you like)

Cut up fruit into 1in cubes and combine in a large bowl, toss in coconut and sugar and drizzle with oil.

For people watching the refined sugar content, you can skip the white devil--I like it becuase it gets the fruit to release some of it's water, combining with the oil to make a nice 'dressing'. You also won't need sugar, most likely, if you're using a sweetened coconut. You can get creative, though, and use what you ahve available to you: I chopped up a couple of these incredibly delicious Puerto Rican coconut sugar cookies I was given and tossed them in.

Yum yum yum! This will make a pretty sizable amount of fruit salad and it will keep for maybe a day or two in the fridge. I've been eating it so fast that I never have to worry about how long it keeps, though!

Replies

• Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    I've been eating it so fast that I never have to worry about how long it keeps, though!

Does this not defeat the object of the slow food movement. :wink: xx
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    This sounds super yummy! Do you have the nutritional facts for it??

Cheers! jewel:drinker:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy! A little coconut may help to curb my cravings for Easter candy! :smile:

I just wrote about my unhealthy relationship with Mr. E. Bunny:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/85517-order-of-protection-from-e-bunny
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Fab50 -- I've heard a lot of positive things about coconut as a way to curb the sugar cravings, both the meat and the oil of it, and lots of people take coconut oil supplements (a little rich if you're struggling with your weight loss, but oh, so delicious! I could drink a vat of coconut oil...) Also, added bonus, coconut is a natural anti-fungal so it's great for preventing or getting rid of candida.

jewelinvic -- If you use fresh coconut and skip the sugar, and divide into 6 servings (3/4 to 1 cup eachish) nutritional facts are (loosely):

Calories: 175
    Fat: 7g
    Carbs: 29g (4.5g fibre, 19g sugar)
    Protein: 2g
    Sodium: 2.67mg
    Potassium: 456.58mg
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    I've been eating it so fast that I never have to worry about how long it keeps, though!

Does this not defeat the object of the slow food movement. :wink: xx

LOL--I meant that I keep going back for more, not that I'm hoovering it :P
  • rrodriguezajja
    Options
    Hello, I need some help about calculating the calories for my fruit salad. My fruit salad consists of light fruit cocktail, grapes, strawberries, pecan chips, coconut & light cool whip. Help!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    maybe I am being a nitpicker, but why would you want to put sugar or sweetener, or dressing, in fruit salad? It sounds yummy, but I could skip both the oil and the cocounut
  • rrodriguezajja
    Options
    I know. I understand. That is just the way that I was taught to make fruit salad. You're right, it is yummy!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    lothesome -- I think you are being a bit nitpicky. I like the little bit of water release that comes from a tiny sprinkling of sugar, I can't get enough of the fresh coconut that's available here, and I love coconut oil--could put it on anything, which is why I included it in my recipe. It's not like you can't just omit the things that don't tickle you, either.