Any advice for carb intake?

Options
sannsk
sannsk Posts: 203 Member
My current goal for carbs (automatically set) is 190g per day. I hear all over the place that the carb goal on MFP is to high, so any advice on the right amount per day? in gr or percentage, any advice is welcome. I'm clueless.
I'm 5"4, exercise three times a week, have a desk job and currently weigh 171,74 pounds (coming from 187,4). My diary is open.

Thank you!
:smile:

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to be 140 or so carbs a day, but for the last 4 days I have gone done to 75ish a day and broke my month long plateau. I lost a pound and a half and have kept it off for 3 days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's the protein goal that is low, if you increase your protein ( to 25-30%) ths will bring your carbs down a little automatically.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Shin Ohtake says this:
    300 grams or more carbs per day => On course to obesity and serious diseases

200 - 300 grams of carbs per day => Steady weight gain

150 - 200 grams of carbs per day => Initial stages of weight gain, depending on activity levels

100 -150 grams of carbs per day => Bodyweight maintenance

50 - 100 grams of carbs per day => Steady weight loss

0 - 50 grams of carbs per day => Aggressive fat burning and weight loss

Keep in mind that these are approximate values and can vary depending on how well your body tolerates carbohydrates. But if you want to most effectively burn fat, keep your carb intake in the range between 50 - 100 grams.

I found this to be true for me before I saw this. I try to stay under 100 grams a day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    My current goal for carbs (automatically set) is 190g per day. I hear all over the place that the carb goal on MFP is to high,
    Thank you!
    :smile:

yes...MFP macro suggestions are a bit whack. Carbs are too high and protein is too low. I think MFP might be owned by corn farmers. Not really but the guidelines used are outdated (IMO)

Carbs are great for you but unless you are trying to maintain or gain weight you don't need 190 g per day.

The muscle guys and marathon gals will tell you that carbs are mandatory for energy. But you dont need that many.

Get your carbs from green veggies, one or two pieces of fruit a day and dairy if you eat dairy. Full fat Yogurt and full fat cottage cheese.

60-100 g a day is more than enough.
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice!

I have adapted my goals, and thus today is a whole different eating day. Can anyone look at my planned diary for today and see if this is going to help me, or what you would eat different?

Thanks!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    well i get 60% calories from fat , 35% from protein , 5% carbs
    works for me , do what works for your body , IMO increase the protein and decrease the carbs
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Tue 11/06/12 03:57 PM
    Shin Ohtake says this:
    300 grams or more carbs per day => On course to obesity and serious diseases

200 - 300 grams of carbs per day => Steady weight gain

150 - 200 grams of carbs per day => Initial stages of weight gain, depending on activity levels

100 -150 grams of carbs per day => Bodyweight maintenance

50 - 100 grams of carbs per day => Steady weight loss

0 - 50 grams of carbs per day => Aggressive fat burning and weight loss

Keep in mind that these are approximate values and can vary depending on how well your body tolerates carbohydrates. But if you want to most effectively burn fat, keep your carb intake in the range between 50 - 100 grams.

I found this to be true for me before I saw this. I try to stay under 100 grams a day.

bump
  • Kg22b
    Kg22b Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump - This is just what I needed as info - thanks!