Do you tell people you're losing weight?

Options

Replies

• alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I work in an office with five men. We have a Biggest Loser weekly weigh in which was just for fun for some and a boost to lose weight for others.
    One man dropped out of the weigh in January. He was disappointed no one noticed he had lost weight recently. He is a big man and lost loads of weight but put some back on last year. .How can we comment or even notice if he angrily opted out of our weekly weigh in which gave us a time to praise someone on their progress.

I only talk about food and exercise with one man who exercises regularly and watches what he eats. If I'm asked I'll share my opinion. It's too personal to comment on other people's food it's their choice if they want to live on cup soup, pot noddles or canned puddings.

It's best just to get on with your own food and exercise plan, people have to make up their own mind when the time is right for them.
    I'm so glad I no longer work in an office full of women on skinny diets, eating was a chore in front of them.
    I
    At least on MFP you can comment on your pal's food choices and they return the favour. Advice, guidance and encouragement is great on here.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just started my weight loss journey very recently but the only people I've told are my mom and one of my good friends. I tend to just say things like "I don't have the money" or "I'm just busy with work and I'm kind of tired" when my friends ask me to go out to for drinks or out to dinner with them. It's not that I don't want to tell them necessarily, but I'm a rather private person about stuff like this so I just don't think it's any of their business. When I start losing more weight I might say something if people begin to notice, but other than that I don't plan on making a big deal about it to anyone. I'm doing this for me anyway, not them.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Another thread got me thinking about this.

Since you started eating better, working out, etc. have you told people? Or are you keeping it to yourself?

As for me, I haven't really told anyone. I've lost around 30 pounds so far, and only a couple of people have commented.
    The few people who know that I'm losing weight, how much I've lost, etc. tell me that I look thinner every time they see me.
    I think it's interesting and it makes me wonder if those people actually see a difference, or if they're just saying that to be encouraging/nice.

I think I prefer people not knowing though...

What about you?

To each his/her own, but yes I tell people. It's not like I walk into a room and blurt it out, but it's not a secret either. I've told a couple of co-workers from past job (left there earlier this year) and told them that they are free to tell others or not, their choice. I deliberately waited for my Mom to notice, but she did early on; I told her the same thing, tell or don't, your choice.
    My personal experience has been nothing but supportive, at worst, indifference. I don't get unsolicited advice or have any food hawks, probably because I don't do that to others. There are about 6-10 co-workers on current job that know; 2-3 of us have shared experiences but I'm the only one on MFP.
    Because this is my experience, I see telling others as a way to keep myself accountable. If my experience was dramatically different, my attitude probably would be as well. YMMV!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    At every opportunity :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I kept quet as I was doing it for me not them, so why did they need to be informed. However, now that it's noticable I'm getting the questions and quite happy to talk about it.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not really, but since I've lost 25 lbs since January, people definitely notice since I'm only losing around 35-40 in the first place. When people ask I tell them what I'm doing, but I don't really broadcast it...unless I'm exercising or with like-minded healthy eating people, I've noticed people don't really care that much.
  • mindphluxxx
    Options
    My family know but that's about it!

A couple of my friends have commented on how I've lost weight, which is always nice but having had a few failed attempts at dieting before, I don't want to shout from the rooftops about it in case it goes wrong!
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've had too many failures & false starts to tell people I'm dieting. If I'm losing weight (ie succeeding), then people will notice. Those that don't notice, or choose not to comment, aren't worth worrying about.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I tell everyone, I can give ah you know what if they didn't notice or don't care, it's my way of letting them know, regardless, for whatever it's worth, I like it, I'm gonna say it! I tell people I don't even know. No, I don't walk up to strangers and say "hey, I'm losing weight", but if I'm in an isle at the grocery store or at the checkout line, or talking to someone in line, or at the gas station, or wherever, *kitten* yeah i tell ppl. Haven't had a bad response yet :) And now I've told you, "I'm losing weight!"

See below (-13lbs).........it's comin' off..........
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've had too many failures & false starts to tell people I'm dieting. If I'm losing weight (ie succeeding), then people will notice. Those that don't notice, or choose not to comment, aren't worth worrying about.

& in my case, those that choose not to comment include my own mother!!!
  • fabby58
    fabby58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just this morning I came to really regret telling the people I work with. Some people are fine and we can talk normally about exercise and such but some just LOVE to tell you what you are doing wrong and how you will fail. I dont have much to lose and I know I am not over weight but I have a huge holiday for NY and I want to feel comfortable on the beach so what's the problem. I don't bring it up unless someone asks me how its going so it's not like I am shoving my healthy lifestyle down their throats, all I did was say no to a bacon roll and I am not judging you for having one I just DON'T want one. I don't even like bacon! Or they joke about it but don't know how NOT FUNNY it is. "Oh how was your PT sess last night? I can see how you still have a lot of work to get done!" OH HA HA HA HA. MY FAT SIDES ARE SPLITTING

Sorry. Rant over...
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about losing weight, but I talk about my workouts.
    It's funny, now my friends associate me with the gym and healthy eating.
    I'll sometimes run into someone I haven't talked to and the first thing they say to me is "I haven't been to the gym in a while"...as if I'm their conscience!

LOL

It's weird to be thought of as the "gym rat" when I was ALWAYS the fat girl. I'm no bean pole by any means, but I am strong and strong willed, which I think is what my friends see.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Nope, unless they ask... then I know the compliments are genuine and not just because they feel they should say something.
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    no, i don't want people knowing everything about me. no one's said anything yet but if they do i will also be vague about it i think. it's too much pressure if everyone knows.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Nope because then people start saying "But you don't need to" blah blah blah so I just would rather keep it quiet
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nope. I try not to talk about it and stay out of weight/diet conversations. I'll just lose the weight and people will find out if they notice.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people.
    Only my best friends know...and my mother.
    I find if other people don't say anything its one of two things:

1) they don't want to bring it up in case it offends (some people get offended, I would love it however!)
    2) They are jealous.

It doesn't matter to me.. I am happy with my results so if they don't notice or whatever its their fault.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I didn't because all of my life my family and friends did the thing of "Have you lost weight"? every time I saw them even when I have gained it. -and I'm talking like 30lbs gains too. Which clearly I hadn't.
    It annoyed the heck out of me because to me, it either meant they were remembering me a lot fatter or they are lieing and trying to make me feel good about myself when I have done nothing to deserve credit. Either way, it was not a positive for me. Basically, I wanted to show my results rather then get false encouragement. So, for me, no. I do the work first and then watch peoples jaws drop when they see me. haha.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Only to close friends and family.

But most of the time, they ask me if I've lost weight first. Especially my family. My mom has struggled with her weight her whole adult life, and her mother died in her 50's due to diabetes, so staying at a healthy weight is highly valued in my family.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    no.