Jason Kirin... Runner #5... Pittsburgh, Pa.

Options
Subject line says it all.

It's 6 years into the past...

The Doctors tell me, "Pain with be chronic as long as you are alive." They weren't lying about that...

They said, "get surgery, you don't have the opportunity to do certain things, we're sorry."

It is 2 years into the past...

I smoke a pack of American Spirits Yellow every day... I'll drink anything you put in front of me...

It's 1 year into the past...

I ride my bicycle to and from work daily... 3.5 miles each way.

It's Sept 3rd 2012, I think that being a cyclist allows me to be a runner.

I sign up for the "Run For Your Lives! 5K Zombie infested obstacle course."

I can feel the brink of vomiting, hyperventilating, dying.

I'm still a smoker.

It's Sept 4th, 2012 - I learn for the first time in my life that there is a runner in me.

It's Sept 12th, 2012 - I buy a really nice pair of running shoes and set a schedule for MWFS mornings. It hurts, burns, terrifies me in ways I've never experienced.

It's early October, I've been running a month, I run the "Fugitive Mud Run." I finish this run 30 min quicker than the zombie run.

I keep to my schedule.

It's October 14th. I've been smoking longer than I haven't been... For some reason - they just don't taste right, they become - no longer an option and I throw my pack away.

I keep to my running schedule.

It's November 3rd, 2012 - I run "Mud on the Mountain" at 7 springs; a 7 mile, 22 obstacle, mud run in 10-35 degree weather over the top of a mountain. I projected I'd finish in 3 hours - it took 2; I ran this race on a herniated disc and a taped ankle...

It's my 24th day without cigarettes.

I'm close to my weight loss goal and life is great.

The problem is/was - the Doctors did have a point and my spine wasn't so good at carrying my weight around. It wasn't a lot to begin with; 220 at 6'2" isn't anything to be ashamed of.

But having now lost 43 pounds at least... A lot, though sadly not all, of the spine pain has lifted.

I'm a runner. I'm not a smoker. And I no longer identify as a "pain-person."

Runner #5? Any of you out there?

Zombies! Run! is the running app on the iPhone or the Droid... I just hit my 100 mile mark and figured I'd intro myself.

Hi, I'm Jason.

Replies

• ReverseEngineered
    Options
    Great story Jason and pleased to meet you. I'm glad that you were able to overcome your disease and find something that excited you.
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Jason, your story is amazing! Keep up the great work!

I love running, & I'm training for a half marathon too. I bike about 40 miles a month. Nothing too serious, but I enjoy it also. Feel free to add me of you want!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Jason - what an awesome story! And it obviously hasn't ended yet! I didn't have the same pain issues, but this summer I somehow "became" a runner. And I had been a running "hater" for a long time. You are so encouraging, especially to folks that have pain issues. Keep up the good work!!!
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! There is something increedibly freeing about running!! LOVE IT!!!
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Great, great story. Keep it up!
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! Congrats!
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    awesome and encouraging story--thank you so much for sharing! you are truly an inspiration. congratulations on all that you've achieved!! :flowerforyou:
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Way to go, Jason!! That is an awesome post, and an awesome victory!!
  • kzandarski
    Options
    really awesome story - I love the writing style!
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Haha love it! Glad to meet another runner #5. Sounds like you've had a great year!
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    Congrats. That was an amazing story. Keep up the great work.
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Fellow Pennsylvanian! Great story and I like the way you wrote it. Great job on kicking the habit! :smokin: :bigsmile:
  • Runner_5
    Runner_5 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Everyone,

Thank you! And nice to meet each of you!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Great job!
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm very happy for you in your accomplishments!
  • keenho
    keenho Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good morning Jason! I'm happy for you, keep it up. You dictate your future. Keep running!

Howard
    Born & raised in Pittsburgh
    Runner since 2001