Calories burnt at the gym

Options
Hi Guys,
I would just like a bit of advice. I enjoy doing classes at the gym (yoga, body pump, spinning etc) and would like to accurately calculate how many calories I'm burning.
I was looking at getting a HRM of some sort but got so confused looking at them that I dont know what would suit me best. I dont want one with a chest strap and dont want to pay a fortune, but have read that some have difficulty calculating working out on a staionary bike etc.

PLEASE HELP!!!! i just want to know how many calories im burning in my classes.

Replies

• srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I bought my HRM at Walmart for $30. It's the watch style and works great. I didn't want to spend too much on one either nor did I want to chest strap. I check my HR periodically while working out to get the best results.
  • cheffernan1990
    cheffernan1990 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And it works okay with staionary exercise? I get so confused with these fitbit, nikefuel etc things. I just need something easy and simple that counts my calories!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I ordered my HRM on Amazon for less than $30. it does have a chest strap--they are more accurate than the watch style ones.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    a HRM with a chest strap is the most accurate. The wrist mounted ones are notorious for incorrect readings. You don't even notice the chest strap after wearing it for about 2 minutes.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I use a Bodybugg, $100 at amazon..
  • cheffernan1990
    Options
    I just know I wont be bothered to use the chest strap. It's just with some of the classes I really have no idea what I'm buring and don't want to just log something if its completely inaccurate
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I also got my HRM from walmart as well for about $30 and i love it. I use it on the stationary equipment also because i move from elliptical to treadmil and dont wanna have to remember my calories on two machines. I check my heart rate about every 5 minutes to insure i am getting accurate calories burnt. it take about 10 seconds to register my hear rate i dont have to stop moving or anything. I love it. since getting it i have started loosing more weight.
  • cheffernan1990
    Options
    I use a Bodybugg, $100 at amazon..

I dont really want to sped more than half of this!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A HRM without a chest strap is a lot less accurate because it doesn't take consistent measurements. It only measures your heart rate when you take a break from your exercise to put your fingers on the sensors for a few seconds. I was against the chest strap at first too because I thought it would be annoying, but it's not nearly as annoying as having to take time out from your workout to measure your heart rate. The chest strap is worth it, if you want an accurate reading.

Polar FT4 is pretty cheap and does everything you really need it to.

The only caveat with an HRM is that it's only really accurate for cardiovascular activities - spinning, running, walking, elliptical. It's probably not going to give you an accurate reading for something like yoga.
  • cheffernan1990
    Options
    I also got my HRM from walmart as well for about $30 and i love it. I use it on the stationary equipment also because i move from elliptical to treadmil and dont wanna have to remember my calories on two machines. I check my heart rate about every 5 minutes to insure i am getting accurate calories burnt. it take about 10 seconds to register my hear rate i dont have to stop moving or anything. I love it. since getting it i have started loosing more weight.

What "brand" is it. I like in the Uk and we dont have Walmart :-(
  • cheffernan1990
    Options
    Can the ones with chest straps be used just as a watch moniter as well or do they only work when you waer the strap?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Can the ones with chest straps be used just as a watch moniter as well or do they only work when you waer the strap?

It depends on the brand. Mostly if you use it without a chest strap, it will just estimate your calories burned based on height, weight, and age. Is there a reason you're against the chest strap?
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Most only work with the strap. That's where the sensors are. It only takes 30 seconds to wet and put on and it's so much more accurate. You might find that getting a good reading will motivate you to take the time to put it on. I have a Polar FT4 and am happy with it.
  • cheffernan1990
    Options

It depends on the brand. Mostly if you use it without a chest strap, it will just estimate your calories burned based on height, weight, and age. Is there a reason you're against the chest strap?

Im not against it, I wore one in a PT session and just found it super annoying and I worry that it would put me off using it. So I suppose I kinda am against it.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The chest strap for mine fits right under the band on my sports bra, and I hardly notice i'm wearing it. If you're looking for an accurate calorie burn, that's the way to go. Mine is a Pyle; ordered from Amazon. less than $30.