Damn You, Mirror. Damn You...

I've been working SO hard to lose my honeymoon and baby weight. Counting my calories EVERY DAY, and getting in exercise whenever I could. I've lost about 20 lbs, but for some reason, I still felt and LOOKED disgusting. I'm 5 feet tall, so I know I'm short, but I have never looked so squat and dumpy and FAT in my entire life. I looked in the mirror and all I saw was short, fat legs with SADDLEBAGS forming on the outside of my hips, (which I've never ever had before!) poochy stomach, and saggy butt.

Last night I was standing naked in front of our full-length mirror (the only full-length one in the apartment; a cheap little skinny one I picked up at Wal-Mart years ago. It's not even real glass, just reflective plastic, lol) fretting and sighing and wondering WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? Why did I look so bad? I have always been my own toughest critic, but I LEGITIMATELY looked really fat! What was going on??

Just then my husband walked past and commented proudly, "Look at you, skinny-@ss!" I glared at him through tears, and asked him how he could possibly think I was skinny, when the evidence was plainly staring him in the face right there in the mirror. Just look at these saddlebags, and inner thigh rolls, I said to him, on the verge of crying.

My husband looked at me, then at the mirror. He walked over to the mirror, inspected it, and pushed on it, flat against the wall. I watched as my reflection lengthened; my legs slimmed and grew about four inches, the saddlebags melted away, my stomach flattened and my butt magically lifted. I looked hot!!

The mirror had been bulging outward at a CONVEX ANGLE. For whoever knows how long! When I looked at my reflection, it was no WONDER I thought I looked fat. I'd been judging myself by essentially looking at myself through the back of a spoon!

My husband let the mirror go, and my reflection bowed back into Fat Molly. He said, "This is how you see yourself," then he pressed it into the wall again. "And this is how I and the rest of the world sees you."

I really DID start crying then, but for a completely different reason. :)

Anyone out there who just can't see progress in their own eyes, just remember:

Sometimes the mirror really DOES lie!

Replies

• skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    I am so happy for you I understand completly how you feel.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    I may be extra emotional and a little PMS'y, but this literally made me tear up!!! How awesome :smile:
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Congrats on the 20 lbs! I'm my own worst critic sometimes too :noway: . Sounds like you found yourself a keeper! :drinker:
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Your husband's response made me cry, too. Isn't it true...we see ourselves one way (fat and ugly), the world sees us differently. Good for you and good for your husband!
  • hnuzzolilo
    hnuzzolilo Posts: 34 Member
    What a good hubby you have!! We always judge ourselves the worst. Great job on your progress.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Awww your husband is a very sweet and wise man! You are lucky to have him :smile:
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    You better hang on to that man!! Seriously, you've done a great job!! Kudos to both you and your husband!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Love this.
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Wow, that seriously made me tear up a bit!

I think we all see ourselves like that to some degree -- always the fat girl that's looking back at us.... Issues, yes I know! ;)

But that being said, I'm proud for you that you were able to see yourself as your hubby and the rest of the world do. It sounds as if you most def have an amazing husband! So hold that head high, and be proud of yourself! You deserve it!! :)
  • well congradulations on the weight loss and happy days that your mirror was the wrong one. im glad you have a great husband and happy tidings.

i feel i have the opposite problem and i know people will prob think im crazy but i have a mirror that i swear makes me look smaller then i am im 5'3 208 and the mirror really doesnt show that. i get my picture taken and there comes fat everywhere i mean there is no hiding especially when im not the one who is taking the photo. i decided i would buckle down a week ago and am doing a boost for my metabolism this week i hope to have a better life like you and glad things turned out well
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Thank you for the laugh!

And good going!

:flowerforyou:

PS: Go get either a real mirror, or some tape to keep the one you have straight!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: squee.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,986 Member
    Awwww! This made me tear up! How sweet! :smooched:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Awwww. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sannsk
    sannsk Posts: 203 Member
    Oooooooh. I'm such a cry baby when I read stuff like that. I think I love your husband :)

:flowerforyou:
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    That's a very sweet story and I'm so glad you found perspective.

I wish my mirror was lying. Sadly, it seems pretty legit. T_T
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    OMG. I wanna hug you and your husband. *sniffles*
    Beautiful.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    This is such a sweet post!! I'm glad your husband was able to show you how everyone else sees you!! Smile :)
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 575 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss! That's a very sweet story!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Keep the husband, dump the mirror.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!