To Gazelle Or Not To Gazelle...that is the ?

Options
Hi,
Does anyone have information on the Gazelle exercise machine? I am looking for something easy on the joints. One friend loves it and another says it isn't much of a workout. I am getting mixed reviews. I would appreciate any informaton...

Tnx: FAB:huh:

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Gazelle = elliptical?
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I was going to get one - but ended up getting a stationary bike, which I LOVE :heart: LOVE :love: LOVE :smooched: . It's easy on the joints, and I can get a heck of a workout with great cardio...... for $10 less than the cheapest gazelle. :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    They have some at this fancy gym I visit and I LOVE them...and despite feeling like it's not as much work as an elliptical, the calorie burn (and the sweat generated) is intense. It's great for my knees, feet, ankles and doesn't even bother my back that much.
  • nurseandi
    nurseandi Posts: 80
    Options
    i love the gazelle at the gym, from what the machine says it burns a tone of calories in short amnt of time and it's one of the easier machines! It does make me sweat like crazy though
  • nurseandi
    Options
    They have some at this fancy gym I visit and I LOVE them...and despite feeling like it's not as much work as an elliptical, the calorie burn (and the sweat generated) is intense. It's great for my knees, feet, ankles and doesn't even bother my back that much.

AGREEEED!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have a gazelle. I NEVER ever EVER use it. It kills my feet -- makes them cramp up into horrible palls of pain that I can't work through. It's worthless to me.

On the other hand, I use my stationary bike 6 days a week and my treadmill 4 days a week. I got the gazelle new for $100 many years ago. I paid $45 for my bike used and $180 for my treadmill used. I would buy those 2 things again and again.
  • imdamom
    imdamom Posts: 42
    Options
    We had a Gazelle. While we had it, it was ok. Nothing great. The workout you get from it depends on how much you put into it. If you squat while doing it, it gives you a better workout and obviously the faster you go, the better the workout. It's very similar to cross country skiing in terms of motion. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do with it. You can't change tension, incline, directions. It is what it is. I never found that my arms got much of a workout. We ultimately decided to get rid of it. We now have a treadmill and love it. I would suggest going to a store that actually has one set up and try it out for yourself before deciding.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    i love the gazelle at the gym, from what the machine says it burns a tone of calories in short amnt of time and it's one of the easier machines! It does make me sweat like crazy though

I just googled it and I'd be very surprised if you could burn as many calories as the machine is telling you that you have. It seems to have no resistance, incline, etc... The elliptical at my gym over-estimates my calorie burn by about 30% (I wear my HRM). So be mindful of that.
  • nurseandi
    Options
    We had a Gazelle. While we had it, it was ok. Nothing great. The workout you get from it depends on how much you put into it. If you squat while doing it, it gives you a better workout and obviously the faster you go, the better the workout. It's very similar to cross country skiing in terms of motion. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do with it. You can't change tension, incline, directions. It is what it is. I never found that my arms got much of a workout. We ultimately decided to get rid of it. We now have a treadmill and love it. I would suggest going to a store that actually has one set up and try it out for yourself before deciding.

the ones at my gym you can change resistance, tension and incline, it's amazing!
  • kairipalomin
    Options
    I have a Gazelle it's in my storage room i did NOT like it. It would hurt my feet fifteen minutes into the work out.
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    ArcTrainer is the best cardio machine out there, in my opinion. Great workout with the ability to change elevation and resistance and with 6 programs you can chose from. It burns nearly as many calories for me as the elliptical, but the best part is that I can feel the muscles in my legs and abs working.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    ArcTrainer is the best cardio machine out there, in my opinion. Great workout with the ability to change elevation and resistance and with 6 programs you can chose from. It burns nearly as many calories for me as the elliptical, but the best part is that I can feel the muscles in my legs and abs working.

Gosh you guys...that was a great review. Thanks for all of your input. There is one on Craigslist that has adjustable tension, etc. I may go see it, try it out, and think about it. My knees are creaky! Dangit! I just love the treadmill but the pounding away isn't good for me. Thanks again for the input. I will keep ya posted.:flowerforyou:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I just googled it and I'd be very surprised if you could burn as many calories as the machine is telling you that you have. It seems to have no resistance, incline, etc... The elliptical at my gym over-estimates my calorie burn by about 30% (I wear my HRM). So be mindful of that.

On the one at the gym you can adjust both resistance and incline...I guess the one the OP is talking about doesn't have those features?

ALL of the gym machines could overestimate...but the comparison from one to another is probably still pretty valid.

ETA: Yes, it's the ArcTrainer that I'm talking about...I had thought that was the same as a gazelle but maybe not!
  • jillybeanruns
    Options
    A gazelle is a type of elliptical. ArcTrainer is one of a kind, I don't think there's any other brand or competition for it.