Why am I always freezing now???!!!

Options

Replies

• tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    me too!!! i used to be able to go all winter wearing jeans and a hoodie, maybe a head wrap to keep my ears warm on the windier days. I'm down 21 pounds and now I'm laying up in my hoodie, jeans, warm socks, a heavy carhartt coat, head wrap, gloves... jeesh.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    According to my faculty docs (endocrinologists) its because of loss of insulation, that being brown fat ! The inside fat stuff. It takes a while for your body to reset itself, like MONTHS.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS cold unless I'm at the gym or doing heavy housework/yardwork!! LOL I'll take it.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    because its cold out
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    sweaters!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Give it a year for you body to re-calibrate to the lack of padding. seriously, it gets better.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It definitely gets better...just give it time!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    THIS!!!!
    because its cold out

Give it a year, its been a year since i hit goal and i'm colder yes, but i not as bad as it was. my body has adjusted.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    One of those NSV that no one tells you about when you lose weight. I'm 50 pounds down and freezing constantly. Even in the summer. I think my body was used to 10 years of extra insulation. I would like to say, after a year at maintenance, that it gets better. It doesn't. Invest in a scarf/wrap/shawl/sweater and you'll do great! ;)

The heat is ON in the office today. So I am actually quite comfy for once.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Less insulation!

This is what I say now!! You beat me to it!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    41yo man, formerly 250-255 lbs, now 201lbs...I hate to say it, but I might actually enjoy warm weather now...like 95-100F..it doesn't bother me like it did when I was better insulated. I am defintely more sensitive to the cold.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yup! Always cold. It's getting better but Dang. Even at home where the temp is set for 77 I am still wearing long johns and thermal tops.

My advice.....layers. :bigsmile:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I am constantly cold, too. and I am still overweight.

It's less insulation, less body fat.

Also, could be thyroid imbalance, that can cause you to be colder.

These are some causes...:

Nutritional Deficiencies: Unhealthy dietary habits can certainly affect the body's response to cold. Since food is the source of energy, whenever we skip a meal the body tries to conserve the energy. If a person often skips his/her meals very often, it may affect the body's ability to keep itself warm in the long run. People who have poor dietary habits may develop an increased sensitivity to cold due to nutritional deficiencies. So make the necessary dietary modifications and make the right lifestyle choices in future.

Weight Loss: Are you underweight? If yes, then there is a greater likelihood of you experiencing the sensation of cold more often. Muscle mass and layers of fat are greatly responsible for keeping us warm and cozy. While larger muscle mass will generate more heat, fat will help in retaining the body heat. Thus people who have lost a lot of weight recently may experience an increased sensitivity to cold.

Hypothyroidism: As mentioned earlier, increased sensitivity to cold may be triggered due to an underlying medical condition. Hypothyroidism is one such condition that is mainly responsible for making one more sensitive to cold. One is diagnosed with this condition when the thyroid gland is unable to secrete the required amounts of thyroid hormones. Since thyroid hormones play a vital role in temperature regulation, low levels of thyroid hormones would create cold intolerance.

Anemia: Anemia is a medical condition which is characterized by a decrease in the number of healthy red blood cells in the body. These red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the tissues. Increased flow of blood helps the body stay warm. Anemia is a medical condition in which the red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be replaced. When blood circulation in the extremities is adversely affected, one may complain of having cold feet and hands most of the time.

Raynaud's Disease: Women between the age of 20 and 40 are prone to Raynaud's disease. This is a medical condition that can be triggered by cold weather or emotional stress. During an attack, the patient's blood vessels may become constricted, thereby affecting the blood circulation adversely. One of the most common symptoms of Raynaud's disease is a tingling sensation in fingers and toes. People who suffer from this condition react to the slightest change in temperature.

Hormonal Problems: Hormonal imbalances can also be responsible for the increased sensitivity to cold temperatures. In case of women, fluctuation in the levels of estrogen might play a great role. Women who are going through menopause often complain of hot flashes and night sweats due to hormonal changes. (WEIGHT LOSS MAKES HORMONES CHANGE A LOT, they can become imbalanced sometimes.)

Aging: The inevitable process of aging brings about a lot of changes in the body. This could be the reason why old people often complain about feeling cold. Aging can be accompanied with weakened immunity that can increase the sensitivity of people towards cold. The mechanisms that the body usually employs to stay warm may get affected due to poor health.

Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/feeling-cold-all-the-time.html
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the cold more than before, but that's fine, I like cold better than heat and besides, I'll take shivering over constant back pain any day.
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    WOW! I thought it was just me!! I started feeling like I was crazy because I am always cold and everyone else is like "No, I am fine" :tongue: Sorry ya'll are cold too, but glad to know I am not crazy. (Well not about this anyway :laugh: )
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Even with a relatively small weight loss, I'm freezing too...except on days when I exercise in the morning. I bike to work (at 10 degrees this morning), but gentle exercise doesn't work for me. Besides wearing wraps and sweaters and tights under my pants, the other way I've learned to get warm is to do weights regularly to build muscle "insulation." Also, if I'm freezing, I get up and do some table push-ups (or wall) and some squats or lunges until I feel that burn. Doing weights warms me right up!
  • ErzaScarlet
    ErzaScarlet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one ha ha although it's interesting that someone commented saying also be Iron for me I don't think i get enough!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little under 60 pounds and my fingers are freezing even in the middle of summer. I'm always cold at work too. I've learned to just keep a jacket with me or in my car at all times lol.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am so glad i am not the only one. Prior to losing the weight I was always hot. Even suffered from night sweats and hot flashes. I think for me its a combination of cleaning eating (which has a huge impact on my hormones) and losing weight. I usually love the winter but this year Im not so sure
    If it is a side effect of being healthy, Ill take it :happy:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I been feeling the same way. I am always wearing a sweater or a hoodie. At night I am stealing my husbands blanket and I already use two.