frustration to the point of tears.. help!

I am in some serious need of help. I've, somehow, gained 5 pounds in the last month or 6 weeks. As far as exercise is concerned I was only doing about 20 minutes of tae bo a day. I saw the scale was starting to go up, so I went out and bought a new tae bo DVD and I now do 40 minutes a day! Since I started doing the 40 minutes I've gained another 3-4 pounds!! I am in tears and so frustrated! I was eating between 1100-1300 calories during the week.... some more on the weekends. A friend of mine said I was not eating enough, so now this week (Mon and Tues) I've been eating between 1600-1700. I am too afraid to step on the scale, but I definitely do not feel like it's working. To be very honest, I was comfortable at that 1100-1300 calories a day and moving up has been annoying, probably because I'm really doubting it will work.

What ever happened to the age old truth that if you exercise your tail off and eat less you'll lose weight? :(:(

Help!

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Open up your diary....are you eating foods with lots of sodium?
    Don't give up....no tears!!!!
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    you may have built some muscle??? I go by several things... a scale... my jeans...and a TAPE MEASURE!!!! Best wishes, its all scientific and sometimes our body does crazy things!!! You may be holding some water as well depending on you TOM! Just a thought! Ive been where you are and Im sure since I have more weight to lose, Im sure ill go through it again!!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    I suspect you're building muscle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I know it's a popular concept on MFP, but it's really impossible to gain fat by eating too little. You can, though, gain weight from sources other than fat no matter what you eat. And this could be your problem. Perhaps you are bloated from hormones or due to eating something your body isn't tolerating. Have you added anything new to your diet? Are you eating too much added sugar or sodium?

Exercising and eating reduced calories does work for fat loss. You might just need to give it time. When you up the intensity of your workouts you could initially gain weight from your muscles holding water. Don’t give up! Just keep at your plan and give it a little more time. If you still aren’t losing you might want to see a doctor just to rule out a hormone imbalance and/or see a nutritionist for diet advice re: food intolerance.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Get a tape measure!!! I worked out and ate right for 2 months didn't lose anything in pounds, but I lost like 8 inches all over my body!!! Hang in there!!
  • rgrstetson
    rgrstetson Posts: 121 Member
    Cricket, there are so many factors, many of which have already been eluded to that could cause a slight weight gain. Overall, toogsmom hit the nail on the head. Look at your measurements rather than your weight. Chances are you are building muscle due to the high intensity of your Tae Bo activity.

I do not know enough of your BMi or anything else to make an assessment as to whether your caloric intake is too low or not, but your friend is also right in that if it is too low it could cause weight gain.

Out of curiousity, how long have you been on the Tae Bo regimen? Have you ever switched activities? Supplemented with something lower intesity and longer duration? Our bodies learn to adapt to training loads relatively quickly. If you find that your measurements have not changed or increased, that your sodium intake is spot on and your caloric intake within means to support healthy loss then it is possible that you body has learned to be efficient with your current choice of training and that you need to switch it up with another approach. I switch my cycle up every 12-16 weeks not just to keep my body guessing, but also for the mental break.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    I have been on and off for a couple of years now, my weight goes up and down, but on average it has not really changed at all. I know where you are coming from being frustrated.

However.... The responses you have had so far say it all, its more about what the tape measure says, not the scales.
  • Same here. You may be gaining muscle mass. Never go just on weight. Take measurements. I am stalled at my current weight but I am still losing inches and showing tighter muscle mass so I am happy. The weight will continue to come off. Based on my past measurements, I will stall at a weight but lose inches during that stall, then I guess my body equalizes and I start losing weight again. But I also do cardio circuits and change up my program when I stall. Keep the body guessing.
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Are you weighing your food? If not, I would guess that you are drastically under estimating what you are actually eating. Get yourself a food scale and weigh everything out. Don't forget to count what you drink (pop, alcohol, gatorade, etc) and if you really want to get down to it, condiments on your food as well. Remember, the more important thing is to be at your weekly calorie goal more than your daily calorie goal for the long term. You will have bad days, you will have good days, as long as they average out to where you need to be, the diet will work in the long run.

Also, gaining muscle mass...5 lbs of muscle in 6 weeks would be amazing...especially at the calorie intake she is talking about and the fact that she's a girl (no offense ladies, but it's the truth, the hormones just are not usually there). Plus she is doing Tae Bo, not lifting, so to gain 5 lbs in 6 weeks would be even that much more amazing, especially at 20 minutes a day... Not trying to be negative, but I've got to imagine there's something else going on here.

There very well could be some water weight going on here due to hormones, sodium intake, etc as other people have stated. I would adjust your MFP to track that on your food page and see what your sodium intake is.

Just another piece of advice, if you are still gaining weight and you are actually weighing and eating 1100-1300 calories day, you might want to get to a doc and get checked out since there could be something going on there that needs to be corrected with your health.
  • Step off of the scale for a month. Write down your measurements, check them again in a month.

Also, as many others on here have suggested - how much sodium are you getting in? I find when I eat carbs or sodium, I gain.

Over the last month, I gained 8 pounds - I looked at my food diary, and saw a lot of sodium. I but it, drank more water, and looked at the tape measure. I found I had lost about 6 inches, and a pants size, so I am honestly, not that worried about the weight - I figure its muscle, since starting Insanity.

If you have upped your calories, it will take your body a month or so to adjust, so stay off the scale... it will help you head!!

Good luck!!
  • Get your body mass and fat content measured.
    Get on the scale NO MORE than once every 2 weeks and NOT during your period. Daily up and down will drive you crazy and de-motivate you.
    Be more concerned with losing inches and not pounds. Muscle weighs more than fat.
    My wife has lost 60lbs. There were a few months when she went up but her lean muscle mass was increasing and fat percentage decreasing. You want this!
    Variety in your workouts is important. Don't stick with just one thing.
    Eating more is absolutely correct. It's like Goldilocks & the 3 bears. Too little is bad. Too much is bad. In general, you should never go below 1200. High quality protein will help curb cravings and speed muscle recovery and it's not stored as fat like carbs are. Folks here will argue about whether starvation response is real. I've done my own research and believe that it is. Too little calories will teach your body to hold onto everything you put in. Just enough will allow it to release waste.
    Stick with it!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    It can be a delicate balance, that's for sure. My strategy is don't check the scales too often (once per month) and focus on the calories (1350 before exercise) that MFP suggested for losing 1 pound per week. Your weight can go up for so many reasons, but if you're doing the right things, that fat is going to come off. Just keep focus, don't go jumping around between this recommendation and that recommendation. Be as accurate as you can in measuring your food portions.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Same here. You may be gaining muscle mass. Never go just on weight. Take measurements. I am stalled at my current weight but I am still losing inches and showing tighter muscle mass so I am happy. The weight will continue to come off. Based on my past measurements, I will stall at a weight but lose inches during that stall, then I guess my body equalizes and I start losing weight again. But I also do cardio circuits and change up my program when I stall. Keep the body guessing.

^This^ ... I haven't lost any weight yet and I've been working at it for 4 months but my measurements have changed my BMI has changed my clothes fit differently and I see some tone and definition when I look in the mirror. No tears don't give up ...you didn't put the weight on over night it won't come off over night (do give up soda sugar and salt if you haven't already though) :-) GOOD LUCK!!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    I suspect you're building muscle.

when-people-are-arguing-and-try-to-pull-you-into-the-conversation.gif
  • I agree, could be muscle gained or water. My boyfriend is a personal trainer and he usually tells clients to put less emphasis on the scale and more on inches and how your body looks to you, or how your clothes fit.
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    This is helpful, thanks to everyone! I guess I forgot to mention I drink about a gallon of water a day (I track it) and I'm not on my period. I just started measuring late last week. I just dont understand why the things that used to work for me dont anymore.

I've been doing this tae bo DVD 4 days a week for probably 4 weeks now.

The point about not jumping back and forth between routines was a good one. I feel like I'm panicking now and just want to throw in the towel. If it weren't for the fact that I really actually enjoy this DVD and I'm not bored of it (yet) I probably wouldnt even be exercising. .
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Carry on exercising and tape measure every month.
    I hover between weights, a pound here and a pound there but I measure myself and although my weight has gone UP I've LOST a dress size or two depending what I'm wearing.

Hang in there girly :smile:
  • LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    I know what you mean about eating more to lose weight. It feels strange to force myself sometimes to find extra calories to eat that are healthier choices. I'm sure when I eat whatever I want ( like fast food) I can scarf down 2500 - 3500 calories in a day. I suggest eating those extra calories and you may want to add some weights to your mix. I am just getting out of a plateau myself and I increase my calories and started lifting. Now I'm eating around 1500 calories a day. Some days it may be more and some days it may be less. You just have to be patient and figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    I did a lot of reading and researched the TDEE / BMR numbers, etc. as I had been eating the recommended 1200 cals for months. I did really well at first and lost 7 lbs pretty quickly. then nada.... I couldn't figure out why since I was only eating between 800 - 1200 cals per day net. Doesn't a large deficit equal large weight loss? Not for me...

After spending a lot of time on different websites, and doing different calculators, here is what has worked for me:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I didn't want to base my numbers on exercise that I MIGHT do, even though I'm consistent, so I factored in my TDEE at the Sedentary rate - 15% (I don't have much to lose).

I am 5'5" and currently 136 lbs. My BF is 22.7 % and am 40 years old. I went to the Scooby Workshop website to calculate my calorie needs for the day and use those numbers. If you know your bodyfat % then a more accurate calculation is using the Katch-McArdle formula according to them. These stats give me:

BMR - 1405
    TDEE - 1686 (at Sedentary)
    Calorie Requirements to lose 0.5 lb per week - 1433 (this is at a 15% deficit)

Sooooo, what I did after that is reset my MFP daily goals at 1450 cals per day NET! I eat back ALL of my exercise calories.

The second thing I did was purchase a HRM to accurately guage what I was burning during my workouts. You would be surprised at the discrepancies between estimates! I do an intense bootcamp class 3 x per week and run on my off days. Either a few miles or sprint intervals, depending on how I feel that day. Depending on what we are doing in bootcamp, my burn could be anywhere from 240 cals to 350 cals....WAY under what I thought!!! If I was to eat back what I GUESSED I was burning, then I would be eliminating any deficit I had for the day. Keep in mind that the muscle you're building will burn more calories at rest, and you get a great 'afterburn' from weights that will last for hours after, so even though you're not burning as large of an amount during your workout, the after effects far outweigh doing just straight cardio!!! Heavy lifting is the best thing you can do for your body!! I used to do both on the same day, but have stopped doing that. A little bit of something 6-7 days per week is better than a huge amount of exercise 3-4 days per week. (for me anyway).

The last thing I do is stop stressing and trust the process. I eat whatever I want and try to make sure that it fits into my calories for the WEEK. I've been eating Halloween chocolate like it's going out of style (yesterday that's all I had for lunch), and I was down a half lb this morning. I was way over my calories on Sunday, and was under Monday and yesterday. The little weekly graph on MFP shows me at an average of 1453 cals per day for the week so far.

I weigh myself every morning, but only log the progress if it's less than the last entry. sometimes there will be 2 weeks of no change, but then all of a sudden there's a 1 lb loss showing on my graph. If I take the total loss and divide it by the amount of weeks, then I AVERAGE a 0.5 lb loss per week. This way I can see the trend with water retention, etc. I don't stress if it's up.

This method has been easily sustainable for me....slow and steady with zero deprivation!!

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!!
  • yaomihaha
    yaomihaha Posts: 21 Member
    you may gain some muscle while fat is not starting be gone yet. I feel like eat good amount (depend on different people) and give yourself longer to see some results. Me used 4 months to finally see some number dropping and very small number.
    Keep working on it, you will see