Is the C25k for me?

Options
Hi,

I am 195 lbs, I am 32 and I am 5'11". I have always been extremely active for my whole life, I played hockey and basketball competitively since I was 6 and stopped when highschool was over. I've smoked since I was 13 but quit Jan 2nd, 2012 (10 months ago). I've never spent time watching T.V for longer than 30 mins as a kid, I was always out playing sports or out biking around with my friends or building cabins.

My wife and I had a baby when I was 25, it seems like since he was born that I just put on the weight slowly around my belly (that ugly "beer belly" appearance) and have gotten lazier, last Sept I was jogging 30 mins daily on my elliptical and maintaining a BPM of 151 and dropped 7 lbs in 2 weeks but then I stopped exercising I found it boring. I am looking at the c25k.com program on a treadmill because this seems like it'd be more fun and hold my interest but is this program geared more for the heavier types who require a very gentle introduction or is this something I can and should do as well to lose weight? I plan on dropping 18lbs to get to 177lbs and running a 5k in May.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am a TERRIBLE runner and have ALWAYS ALWAYS hated running.
    I was going to start C25K two nights ago but it was way way too easy for me, so I decided to make my own goals (increase my speed, time, distance, etc) instead of following a program that will not challenge me.

I recommend trying it once like I did, then either abandon or stick to it depending on whether or not it challenges you.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    it is absolutely for you! i started in august after not being active for quite some time! it is a great program that always changes and challenges you so you never get bored or plateau. you'll find yourself wanting to do the next day and amazed at your progress! good luck ... i think you'll love it!
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's designed for those people that are new to running and are just getting started.
  • allnaday
    allnaday Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i'm currently in week 4 and ask myself that everyday.........but YES, i think you will succeed.
  • ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from C25K and it was a big help. It might be easy at first and if so, increase your speed but as the weeks tick on you'll get a groove. Now that I can run 30 minutes I'm working on picking up my speed. In the spring, I'd like to do a 5K with a time as close to 30 minutes as I can get it!

If you have a smart phone, they make great C25K apps...
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was a runner when I was younger. Ran track and cross country. Then I graduated school, started smoking and life got in the way. I quit smoking right after I turned 40 and gained 40+ lbs. I started the C25K for the last time back in February. Once I got through it and started running, I haven't looked back. I love it. You can do it if I could!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've tried running and setting my own distance and time goals in the past but it wasn't until C25K that I was actually able to break through and continuously run. If you can already run 30 minutes or 3+ miles non stop this isn't for you. if you can't, start at week one, if it's too easy you can either do it more frequently then 3x per week or graduate yourself to the next week. My husband who is not overweight started it and found the first couple of weeks simple but started noticing the challenge as the times increased.
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I finished it a couple of months ago and I plan on starting again with week 2 or 3, but with a faster pace. That might be an idea of how to try it if you are already running 30 min. I also liked the variety.
  • swagner73
    swagner73 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is great! I have wanted to start running but I am so big that I was afraid to start. Of course, I'm one of those "all or nothing" people & part of this weight loss this time is "personality modification". I'm truly changing who I am and I think that has been my biggest challenge so far but it has also been the most rewarding. I know that is what is going to make the difference this time.
  • tdelam
    tdelam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies!

is this program designed to run and also lose weight? I have two goals, drop 18 lbs and also get into shape for a 5k.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    cardio burns calories, so as long as you are also watching what you eat (i.e. don't think that just because you ran for 20 minutes you can eat 3 cheesburger and a large fry), then it will help you lose weight as well, yes.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies!

is this program designed to run and also lose weight? I have two goals, drop 18 lbs and also get into shape for a 5k.

c25k has been my only source of exercise since august and i've lost 10 pounds... however i mostly attribute that to eating healthy and having a calorie deficit every day. you will slim down from it for sure... any kind of cardio will help burn fat! but just make sure you are eating healthy and at a deficit to see results. good luck :)
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started it in May, have lost 50 lbs, and now have graduated, done a 5k, and run 30 minutes per day, 5 days a week. Give it a try! Weeks 1 and 2 are pretty easy, even for me when I was super fat and out of shape. But by week 3-4, it's challenging and awesome. If it feels easy, then run faster during your intervals! The goal is to make you a runner, not *just* be able to run 3 miles. For that, I really liked the pace of it.

Bottom line: C25K is great for running, but you'll also need to cut calories to lose weight. They can work together.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If you were running 30 minutes daily last September, I would suggest you check into either C210K or B210K. Check it out and see where you think you are & just start there. Adjust if necessary. As others have mentioned, proper nutirition is important to your overall weight loss success.