Need advice - too much protein

Options
Everyday I go over on my protein, is this bad? I stay under on my calories and carbs.

Replies

• countrymusicgirl
    Options
    Everyday I go over on my protein, is this bad? I stay under on my calories and carbs.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem! I am always over on protein...It doesn't seem like I am eating too much protein but ovbviously I am. It's common I hear in American diets.
  • rachieb1013
    rachieb1013 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue! I was getting so sick of it, so I changed my 4th thing to Sodium, then I changed it Sugar...we'll see how Sugar works...I hate having anything be negative in my total!!!!!

:heart: Rachel
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't know, Atkins is based on protein right? I always heard that protein is good, it helps burn fat
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I found this article. Hope it helps. :flowerforyou:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

by the way, there are 4 calories in 1 gram of protein, so the site has us pretty much set at about 15% of our calories being protein so we should probably try to stay within a reasonable amount of the protein allowed. According to this article though, too much protein becomes scary when it reaches over 30% of our caloric intake. I struggle with this sooooo much, so I'm glad you brought it up! It gave me the chance to study it! :happy:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome...I too am over on protein but because of what I read here from the American Heart Assn. I am making a special effort to increase my carbs and balance the protein.

The next sentence answers the question many of us have about too much protein.

Lowering carbohydrate intake also prevents the body from completely burning fat.

High Protein Diets:
    These diets can cause a quick drop in weight because eliminating carbohydrates causes a loss of body fluids. Lowering carbohydrate intake also prevents the body from completely burning fat. In the diets that are also high in protein, substances called ketones are formed and released into the bloodstream, a condition called ketosis. It makes dieting easier because it lowers appetite and may cause nausea.

Some restrict important carbohydrates such as cereals, grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products. If followed for a long time, they can result in potential health problems. And while they may result in quick weight loss, more research is needed on their effectiveness for long-term weight loss.

Nuff said for me.

~Namaste
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, calm down! We have a lot of incomplete information here, which can definitely be taken out of context. (That's why it's important to refer to full texts rather than most internet sources!)

High protein doesn't cause ketones. What that article fails to mention is that ketosis occurs when--and only when--our glycogen, or stored blood sugar, is depleted. It has nothing to do with eating protein. Ketones are acids used to replace some sugar needs in the brain, and they're also used in the Krebs Cycle, which produces ATP from fatty acids. Ketosis isn't dangerous for non-diabetics; it can cause some fatigue initially, but when you fully express the genes for ketone formation (which can take a few days) you'll feel normal once again.

Protein requirements change depending on a person's muscle mass, training status, and medical status. Athletes and women with breast cancer should eat a higher-protein diet. Those with renal failure must eat a very low-protein diet. It's acceptable to eat up to 1.8g of protein per kg of bodyweight, or about 1g per lb of bodyweight. Likewise, for a less active individual, it's acceptable to eat half that amount.

It's true that protein has 4cal per g, but so do carbohydrates; neither are calorically dense like fat is (at 9cal per g).

Protein is the building block of our bodies...it is necessary for muscular repair. Eat too little for your activity level, and you won't have the 'blocks' available. There is nothing wrong with eating more than 15% of your calories from protein.
  • countrymusicgirl
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments!:happy: I'll worry more about my cal.and carbs which is plenty to worry about, but I have lost 10 lbs. in 2 weeks!!!
  • evjazz
    evjazz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!:flowerforyou: