Macros, what should they look like?

Options
Ok guys, I'm in need of some help. I'm 24 years old, 5'6, with a pretty large frame (I'm wide shouldered, wide hipped, giant head and feet, it's pretty unfeminine lol) But anyway, I'm weighing in at 248lbs. I walk every morning, at least a mile, and just started doing P90x. And I'm STARVING. All the time. I want this to be a lifestyle change, not a diet, so what should I be eating? My goal ultimately to lose weight (100lb), stay full, and still be able to survive the rigors of P90x. I've cut down my bread intake drastically in the past month, but am still eating cereal and the occasional pasta and rice. I've cut back on sugar, too. I don't usually log it on MFP but I drink at least half a gallon of water a day. Do I need to up my protein/fat? What should my macros look like? I'd like to start now to change my diet, to start something realistic that I can do forever. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A lot of people go for 40/30/30 carbs, protein, fat.

I mainly focus on hitting the protein, or at the very least getting over 100g per day.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I normally go 40/40/20...I may try 40/30/30. carbs/proteins/fats
  • pengem789
    Options
    I lost about 100 lbs total during my weight loss journey of 10 years. I have finally learned that hunger is very often mental. Feeling "full" should actually become rather uncomfortable...Instead, you should feel just "satisfied" and actually physically hungry before you eat again. It helps A LOT to drink water - it is very often that you are thirsty and feeling that as hunger. Also, it might help to talk to someone about WHY you spent some time overeating. I'm still dealing with the issues that made me CONSTANTLY feel hungry. Best of Luck, You can do this!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    40/40/20

With the issue of being starving, it's no wonder. Most days you are netting below 1000 calories. Food = Fuel. Eat some of those exercise calories back if you're hungry :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I do 50/25/25

For the most part, it's personal preference and based on your goals. There is no such thing as the "perfect" macro ratio. Get enough protein and don't be afraid of fats and carbs.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Keep cutting back on those refined grains--you don't really get much nutrition out of them. 40/40/20 carb/fat/protein, with the carbs coming mostly from vegetables and low-sugar fruits.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Macros depend on your calories. We're basically the same starting size /height /body shape, though I'm quite a bit older (thus need to eat less in general) Since you have not mentioned what your TDEE is it's hard to say..

IF you look at the 'conventional wisdom' which says that you should be eating @1gm of protein per lb of lean body mass then for you is probably close to mine..about 130. This means that you will need @ 130 x 4 = 520 total calories of protein.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) suggests that about 30 to 35 percent of your daily calorie intake should come from fat - I'd put this on the lower end. Mine is 25% but its entirely up to you. Either way this will determine how much is leftover for carbohydrates. If you choose to eat "low carb" your fat will have to be higher, if "low fat" your carb will be higher - this is more of a personal choice - or a what works for you thing I think.

Recommendations for carbohydrates range between 45 - 65% of your daily intake. Again this will depend on what works for you.. lower or higher based on your fat intake.

The easiest way to figure out the exact ratios will be to work out your TDEE, take a 20% cut from that for your base calories. Figure out what % will be protein by dividing 520 (for 130g) by your calorie goal and multiplying by 100. From there set your carb / fat based on your 'plan' and tweak as needed.

If you want help with the numbers just PM (or anyone else)