Time of Day for Protein Shakes

Options
Hi,

For a while now I have a protein shake in the morning, along with a bowl of shredded wheat. The shake is mixed with water, has a half cup of mixed berries, and that's it (no yogurt, milk, etc).

I work out in the evenings after work. Typically I eat a banana and an apple about an hour before my routine. Afterwards varies, but it is typically a fairly light meal for dinner.

I'm wondering if I would be better served to have that shake in the evening within an hour of completing my workout.

thanks for your thoughts.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. The necessity of having a protein shake in close proximity to a workout is a myth perpetrated by supplement companies.

Getting sufficient protein daily is what you should focus on. Everything else is personal preference.
  • itsColbyS
    Options
    Anytime just hit your protien needs!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I have my protein shake for breakfast, too. I've lost 22 pounds in a little over 3 months by watching what I eat (well, mostly anyway...) and exercising.

Seems to work just fine for me.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I have mine after my workout but that's just coz I workout in the morning and I have it as breakfast afterwards.
  • AlissaAngelo
    AlissaAngelo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have my Shakeology in the afternoon as my "snack". However, I say have it when it is most convenient for YOU! :)
  • Lillyeatslilies
    Options
    I usually have mine during a snack time when I feel like I need it. No specific rules here.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I normally have a Casein protein shake with added fiber for breakfast to hold me over until lunch and after my workouts I have my Whey protein shake ,,, and I get the rest of my protein through out the day with my food choices,,, its all a matter of when ever you like to have your shakes as long as you hit your goals on a regular basis. A lot of people prefer to have Casein protein before they sleep but I do not believe it matters much.
  • johnnlinda
    Options
    I have mine after each workout, because I read this

During this 30-60 minute post-workout window, your muscles are like sponges and take up nutrients — including protein — very quickly as part of the repair and recovery process. Your body also utilizes carbohydrates more efficiently during this period, due to increased insulin sensitivity, so drinking your protein shake with some simple carbs can help the body more efficient absorb amino acids and utilize them for ongoing tissue repair and growth.

I also drink one if I don't have enough calories in the day
  • wam_bam
    wam_bam Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of truth to consuming a shake after working out and first thing in the morning. The breakdown and depletion of amino acids from active workouts can benefit highly from a shake after and delay the body from using muscle as a source of energy. The same applies to simple forms of carbs to control your insulin. Why do you think they call it breakfast? You need to break the fast. Your body is lying there during the times where it recovers the most and is without food for 6-8 hours.

Regardless though, I agree that supplements are just that... they supplement your food choices. It can be ridiculous at times to consume large amounts of proteins, so a shake helps. Otherwise, always strive to get your protein from quality sources (chicken, fish, eggs, lean cuts of beef, greens, etc...)