Ew. Now I feel gross.

Options
Long story short, my mom packed a lunch for me today and dropped it off at my work. (I don't live with my parents, but they do live about 10 minutes away from my office. This lunch drop is becoming more frequent too-about once a week now.) I had already packed my own lunch, measured out and calories were accounted for. Well, I felt bad that my mom packed a lunch for me and so I ate it.

It was 2 bbq ribs (left over from their bbq yesterday) and some mashed potatoes. Ugh, I feel so gross now. I just want to eat an entire head of lettuce now.

I really don't get it. She cooks really healthy and portion controls everything for my dad because he has high blood pressure and cholesterol, but when I ask he to not fry things or for less food she just kind of dismisses my requests.

I really love my mom, but I wish she'd just let me take care of my own food. It's hard to account for things when I have these surprise calories, but then I feel bad for wasting food.

I guess this means I don't get an afternoon snack today...

:grumble:

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    Long story short, my mom packed a lunch for me today and dropped it off at my work. (I don't live with my parents, but they do live about 10 minutes away from my office. This lunch drop is becoming more frequent too-about once a week now.) I had already packed my own lunch, measured out and calories were accounted for. Well, I felt bad that my mom packed a lunch for me and so I ate it.

It was 2 bbq ribs (left over from their bbq yesterday) and some mashed potatoes. Ugh, I feel so gross now. I just want to eat an entire head of lettuce now.

I really don't get it. She cooks really healthy and portion controls everything for my dad because he has high blood pressure and cholesterol, but when I ask he to not fry things or for less food she just kind of dismisses my requests.

I really love my mom, but I wish she'd just let me take care of my own food. It's hard to account for things when I have these surprise calories, but then I feel bad for wasting food.

I guess this means I don't get an afternoon snack today...

• jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would just sit your mom down and tell her you are serious about losing weight. Tell her if she wants to pack you a lunch, to try and keep it to xxx calories.

If she ignores your request, throw away the lunch.
    I know that it's hard to throw food away, so give it away if you can't bear to throw it.

This change to your lifestyle is about you, not your mom. If she can't respect your request, then you have to respect yourself enough to not eat out of guilt.

We all overeat for LOTS of reasons, and emotions is a high on the list. The more concious we can become of trying to NOT eat based on emotion, the better. We eat when we're happy, guilty, nervous, scared, sad, etc. So try to stab out one of them and learn to say NO. Even if it is your mom.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    This probably doesn't happen to often, does it? Be glad your mama :heart: 's you and it's okay....you will be none the worse tomorrow. Moms sure do cook good, huh? How much we miss it once we are grown. Ahhhhhhh:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know I miss being spoiled by my mom, which she usually did with food. I think it was her way of showing love, in how she fed everyone and insisted they eat more:happy: Bless her heart, if it was me I would except it graciously without hurting anyone's feelings. If you eat some of what she brings....remember portion..like one rib and a couple bites of mashed potatoes, and some of the salad you fixed for yourself. Mom's aren't around forever and she loves you:heart: Once a week isn't such a bad thing, you think? :happy:
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My mother used to call me fat, purposely ruin my diet, buy me close that were too small (her size), stack up the fridge with puddings and put Doritos in the cupboards and then tell she'd give me money if I dropped five pounds.

• Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    My mother used to call me fat, purposely ruin my diet, buy me close that were too small (her size), stack up the fridge with puddings and put Doritos in the cupboards and then tell she'd give me money if I dropped five pounds.

Oh my God, this is the saddest thing I ever heard!

many hugs!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: