Options

Replies

• Brianna72994
    Options
    It doesnt matter if its cold out, you're going to end up sweating anyway
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My first 8k I wore my biking shorts tshirt hoodie and finger gloves..... first mile i was a bit chilly but comfortable for the rest and it was about 43 when i started running
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    What are capris? im a guy, I dont know these things

Capris are short pants that come just past the knee. So not quite pants but not quite shorts either.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    wear throw away gear...Like an old ratty sweatshirt...go to goodwill and look for stuff. It helps the charity, costs you almost nothing, and when you toss it most of the time it gets donated back to good will or a homeless shelter
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Oh, my, runners litter the landscape? That reminds me, though, I need to check the expected temps for my race in the morning. Good luck to all you runners!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    For anything below 60 degrees, I typically wear the following:

Lower Half:
    - Asics Thermopolis running tights
    - Running shorts

Upper Half
    - Under armour "Heat-Gear" compression shirt
    - Tech tee
    - Asics Arm Warmers
    - Beanie
    - Gloves* - I typically ditch the gloves halfway through the race

I love the tights and the arm warmers because they keep me warm before the start, but as I heat up and start sweating they wick away moisture and keep me from overheating.

WHAT???? 50-60 degrees and you are wearing arm warmers and a beanie and gloves...AND TIGHTS? why? You must get insanely hot or have absolutely horrible circulation

I run in cold weather last winter 19F was the coldest. I realize everyone is a bit different but you are running. I wear shorts up until its gets below 40F. Anything above 45 is Summer dress. a technical T, shorts, and a ball cap or visor. At 30-40 I wear under armor Med weight leggings gloves. a Ball cap. a long sleeve compression and a long sleeve technical.

20-30F I ditch the long sleeve technical and replace with a light breathable jacket. Under 20 I switch to a thermal cap or a Bacalava and add the long sleeve tech shirt back.

If wind is high or its snowing or raining...Illl switch the jacket to my soft shell or a windbreaker
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Oh, my, runners litter the landscape? That reminds me, though, I need to check the expected temps for my race in the morning. Good luck to all you runners!

during races its quite common I would not suggest you dump clothing on a training run unless you plan on back tracking
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bigger races usually have people that clean up the course and donate all the discarded clothing to charity. I don't recommend this for smaller local races.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Add stuff until you're not cold?

Generally I just run in what I'm wearing - if I'm cold, I wear a bit more next time :).
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Bigger races usually have people that clean up the course and donate all the discarded clothing to charity. I don't recommend this for smaller local races.

They do have the charity that picks up the discarded clothing at this race. I really like the socks for gloves and "toss off" sweatshirt idea. I actually have a NICE sweatshirt from a place I don't want to advertise, so I think I will use that, ha. THANK YOU again to everyone. This was some great input.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    Dress as if it's going to be 20 degrees warmer than it'll actually be.

Yep, definitely. Your body will keep you plenty warm once you start. I know I've dressed properly when I feel cold while waiting for the start, because I know it won't last.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    40°F is still shorts & running tee weather (one you get warmed up you'll probably still be perspiring but have warm gear at the bag check) . The only thing I've found the last couple of years is that my hands get cold so I would wimp out and wear light gloves.

If you are susceptible to the cold (we all have different cold tolerance) perhaps a light undershirt / singlet under a long sleeve running shirt but you don't want to overdress.

In my profile picture it was -15°C and I wore a light base layer and medium weight long sleeve half zip (asics thermopolis) under my running shell and, as you can see, I was perspiring in well below freezing temperatures.
  • irishbrat77
    Options
    Wish I had asked this question a couple of weeks ago when I ran my first "cold weather" race and totally overdressed my upper half! I wish I would have just stuck with a long sleeve tech shirt but I had a light running jacket over it that I wanted to take off about 1km in. Had gloves on too but took those off and put them in my pockets so no big deal.

Just saw this link on Twitter this morning. Haven't checked it out too much but maybe it'll work for you :)

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear

Good luck!
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I will be running a race this Sunday (it should be about 36 degrees when I start). I plan on wearing capri work out pants and a t-shirt. I'm sure I will be freezing at the start of the race, but I don't know where I would put my stuff because I would feel an urgent need to strip during the race as I tend to get hot.
  • jekissa729
    Options
    wear throw away gear...Like an old ratty sweatshirt...go to goodwill and look for stuff. It helps the charity, costs you almost nothing, and when you toss it most of the time it gets donated back to good will or a homeless shelter

Excellent idea^^ I think I will be stopping there tomorrow!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    About to go get dressed for the run, and it feels great knowing exactly what I'm going to wear. As I've spent the last hour looking at posts (thanks daylight savings time), it really strikes me what nice people you MFP runners are. Hope you all rock your runs this week, no matter where they are!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I'm so glad you said this. I'm a new runner and have only run in small local races where there are barely enough volunteers to run the race much less pick up aways. I was imagining all sorts of litter left behind. Good to know when I do a bigger race.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Dress as if it's going to be 20 degrees warmer than it'll actually be.

Excellent rule of thumb! Good luck!
  • Notyourrevolution
    Notyourrevolution Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm so glad you said this. I'm a new runner and have only run in small local races where there are barely enough volunteers to run the race much less pick up aways. I was imagining all sorts of litter left behind. Good to know when I do a bigger race.
    [/quote]

Even in smaller races in my area there is usually someone who will pick up stray clothing. In those cases items usually end up piled on a table as lost & found and then at the end some smart person usually takes it all away for goodwill.
  • sausagepaula
    Options
    I start off in thin gloves and then tuck them down my bra when nobody is looking! That way I can pretend I'm Pamela Anderson! I must look a right sight!!!! I also have a lovely merino wool dry wick jumper which was a little pricey but a great investment x