Is there such thing as TOO much water?

Options
Hello - Just a few general questions... is there such thing as too much water? I drink a lot of water... is that hindering my weight loss on the scale??

Also, does anyone have good low calorie breakfast ideas! I NEED some! I don't usually have a lot of time in the morning, but I'm looking for ideas that will keep me feeling full!

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    yes there can be too much water. It takes a lot though. one thing is that you end up flushing to much of the electrolytes out of your system. I was also told about some other issues some even fatal for serious athletes. When I was drinking about 20 glasses aday my weightloss program slowed and I was told to cut it back down. (that was about 5 years ago) I am trying very hard to stay around 12 glasses a day this time around.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    Oh wow! That's really helpful! Thanks :happy:
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I make 1/2 cup egg beaters - scrambled, add 1/2 roma tomato & some seasoned precooked steak. I top with some Sargento reduced fat Mexican cheese. I use taco bell mild sauce to season. It takes all of 5 minutes to make.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    in short, yes, there is a such thing as "too much water"

check these links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

but as they state, it takes a LOT of water to harm yourself, or not urinating enough...
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone got to the water issues.

Low calorie brekfast ideas:
    Jimmy Dean makes a turkey breakfast bowl that has turkey sausage crumbles, eggs, potatoes, and reduced fat cheese. It has like 360 calories, not much fat and like 23 grams of protein. They also make a whole grain sausage muffin that is pretty good.

Other ideas - whole grain tortilla with egg white scramblers, turkey sausage or bacon and reduced fat cheese and salsa.

FYI - I eat a ton at breakfast lately. I try to eat the bulk of my calories in the morning and then flex the rest of the day. That helps me to feel full longer. Today I had a breakfast sandwich and a protein smoothie.
  • MelsaEstel
    MelsaEstel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Since the water thing is covered...

I am all about low cal breakfasts. I have been having oatmeal lately. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, nuke it for 2 minutes. Then I add 1/8 cup of light syrup and some splenda, and a couple sprays of butter. It is just around 200 calories. Sometimes I add a bit of walnuts or cranberries or both. I have been adding 1/2 cup of fiber one cereal to my oatmeal and syrup to add a bunch of fiber to my diet.

I also love egg beaters. 1/4 cup egg beaters in a mug in the microwave makes the perfect size for putting on a bagel with a slice of cheese. I buy the weight watcher bagels (150 cal compared to about 210 for others), and the whole breakfast is under 300 cal.

There's always the simple bagel or toast with peanut butter (I really have to measure my PB, I love it and tend to use too much if I don't measure).

Find what you love, and make it work. All of my ideas are very fast, I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking in the morning, since it is normally the 2nd thing I do each morning (out of bed to the bathroom, down for coffee and breakfast).
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    for breakfast i love having two slices of wheat bread and two tablespoons of hummus-- hummus sandwich! then i'll have either a low-sugar granola bar or a couple rice cakes.

or, sliced smoked turkey with one serving of 2% milk shredded cheese between on piece of toast cut in half-- kinda of like a low-cal turkey melt!
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I usually take a healthy life english muffin, toast it, make scrambled egg whites, add a piece of cheese and a piece of canadian bacon and BAM! Better than Mickey D's...or at least thats what i tell myself...haha.

Or if you really want to be quick about it, just eat some yogurt and a banana. That works when I'm running out the door.
  • hjmygatt
    hjmygatt Posts: 79
    Options
    I love yogurt (my fave is marionberry) with a 1/4 or a 1/3 cup of grapenuts mixed in. That is my standard during the work week!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothie:

1/2 cup pineapple juice
    Frozen strawberries (I put in about a cup of whole frozen berries)
    1/2 banana

Blend. Yum, and about 150 calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've started eating mostly fruit and cereal for breakfast. I bought a whole canteloupe and cut up half of it and separated it into 5 ziplocs for breakfast every weekday morning. It ends up to about 1/2 cup which is 30 calories so you could just as easily eat 1 cup at 60 calories and not harm yourself. I usually also eat a banana which is about 110 calories. That's not even 200 calories there... I try to eat a big breakfast, though, so I don't eat as much throughout the day, so if I eat cereal with it, that's 160 in addition, so 360. Or if I have enough time before work, I scramble 2 eggs with cheese and some bell peppers, which turns out to about 260 calories. You could easily do the eggs and some fruit to stay under 300 which seems reasonably small.
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    I saute a few mushroom pieces in a skillet while I chop up some spinach and measure 3/4 cup of egg whites. I add the spinach and the egg whites to the mushrooms and scramble. When done I top with at sprinkle of sea salt and some 2% Mexican blend grated cheese. Really filling and around 156 cal, low carb and low fat. Keeps me full till lunch because of all the protein.
    Hugs:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Yes there is a such thing as TOO much water! How much are you drinking? I used to drink a gallon a day but also drank nothing else my doctor told me to ease up - Now I just shoot for 64-70 or so ounces.

As far as breakfast I eat a packet of original oatmeal at work I don't have time in the mornings to cook or eat at home so a packet of oatmeal does the trick for me.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I brink about 3 to 4 liters a day... I'm going to try to stick to 2 liters.
  • singcoz528
    singcoz528 Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm always rushing in the morning too. I usually grab a slim-fast (well equate fast...lol...gotta bargan shop!) on my way out the door. The chocolate one is awesome! and they are usually around 200 cal.

Hope that helps!
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    Several cases of people having problems with sodium depletion ( my sister in law for one) but that would be LOTS of water. It shouldn't hinder your weight loss though.
    If you like peanut butter and jelly have some in a sandwich with high fiber bread. Nature's Own High Fiber Wheat (5 gr. fiber per slice) The protein keeps you from feeling hungry and the bread is healthy and tastes good too.
    Usually try and drink the number of ounces that is half your weight. EX: 200 # drink 100 ounces
  • elisha8685
    Options
    Yes, Hyponatremia

Don't drink more than a quart an hour as a rule of thumb or over 12 quarts a day. The more water you drink, the more salt you should intake so you keep your body balanced.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I brink about 3 to 4 liters a day... I'm going to try to stick to 2 liters.

good plan! start cutting back now before it gets worse. I'm having all kinds of crazy health problems from chronic hyperhydration and i'm having a good day if I can stay under 6L these days I make myself stop at 8L

2 is a good number :)

healthy low cal breakfasts, porridge, I half/half it with all-bran, can add a little cinnamon or something like that too
  • paulaswrld
    Options
    This is my favorite breafast these days. It runs about 170 calories and keeps me full right through until lunch time.

1 Fiber one wheat english muffin toasted
    1 wedge laughing cow cheese - spread on muffin
    1/4 egg beaters egg whites - microwaved for just under a minute
    1 slice of low cal deli ham

I've tried the smart ones breakfast sandwiches and this beats it hands down!

Some days I alternate with this:

1 fiber one yogurt (only 50 cals!)
    1/3 cup Kashi Toasted Berry crumble granola
    1/2 Tbsp mini choc chips (ok this can double as a dessert some days too!)
    If you're feeling up to it, slice in some fresh strawberries. Or, if you add some banana, this is another one that is guaraneed to fill you up right through until lunch.