S.A.D. Disorder... anyone else?

Options
2»

Replies

• endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and depression all year round, however, it does get much worse during the winter times.

My suggestions:
    1) Take St. Johns Wart, it honestly helps
    2) Do workouts in the evenings, I know it's harder then but it keeps you awake and moving longer
    3) Get as much natural light/sun as possible
    4) The light therapy lamps are great too, or (and no one shoot me) tanning beds can be helpful too.

Just want to let anyone know that " St. Johns Wart" can have interactions with medications. Its natural but there is a long list that it causes problems taking with. Here is a link to medications.

http://www.rxlist.com/st_johns_wort-page3/supplements.htm#Interactions
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am going to add Vitamin D too. Thanks for that suggestion.

Luckily last year our winter was kind of mild. One thing that helped me was we got a dog. Going outside to walk her and get some fresh air and exercise was great for me. I also got on the treadmill about 5 days a week. The exercise really helped me. It could have been a combo of a healthier diet and exercise with the fresh air but it was one of my better winters. We started dieting late in Jan so we are planning to do that again this winter.
  • ccpowers
    ccpowers Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I can relate as well. As soon as the sun becomes a mystery, my attitude, demeanour, motivation and patience all leave with it. I live in Alberta and we get 8-9 months of crap weather so from now until April I have a battle. I hope that every year I am dealing better as I no longer take meds for my depression and have been using vitamins and exercise to try to combat all the negative. I do also try to tan occasionally but some days getting out of bed is most I can do. With 4 active kids and only me to transport them, I have to suck it up and cope as best as possible. Feel free to add me if support and encouragement may help
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    I use a tanning bed once a week.
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am going to invest in one of the light therapy lamps for the office and the light bulbs at home.

I suffer from this every year. I hate it.

I try to get out as much as possible each day to get some sunlight.
  • brazillover
    brazillover Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from severe S.A.D. What works for me is using a white light (therapy) for 30 minutes each morning. I eat breakast in front of it then use my laptop for the rest of the time. I also take a vitamin D supplement each day. I make sure to eat healthy and exercice at least 4 times a week. Deep breathing and yoga help a lot also. I feel A LOT better since I've been using the light therapy. Hope this helps!
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Under doctors order I take Vitamin D with Calcium-it really does help.
    I suffer with depression on and off throughout the year but especially in the winter months. I get out in the sunshine whenever and whereever I canfor at least 20 minutes a day. Fair skinned and stay protected the rest of the time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've heard Vitamin D drops help.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of posting this exact topic today as well - it's nice to know I'm not alone! I usually don't get this way this early in the winter, it usually takes until January to really bother me, but this year it has hit already. Probably doesn't help that Calgary has set a record for snowfall for October this year :grumble: . I am already on Cipralex for depression so I think that often takes the edge off, but not this year I guess.

I started taking Vitamin D as soon as I noticed my mood drooping, I am going to try the day lamps. My husband has SAD worse than I do (again, self-diagnosed but VERY obvious to those around him), so it's probably not going to hurt either of us to try.

Good luck!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Full spectrum lighting in your work area and where you sit at home in the evenings. Tanning beds once a week. Really helps.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have it and take Wellbutrin.
    Last winter was killer- I have never been so exhausted, sleepy and irritable in my life!!

This will be winter #2 on Wellbutrin and I hope it helps (stayed on all year).

Worst part of my days are when its dark (which is from 5:30pm-8am). I am so tired as soon as the sun goes down, but push through with exercise and good eating, whcih seem to help.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    At my local library they have these 'simulated sun' lamps that people can sit in front of for an hour a day. Supposedly it helps combat S.A.D. symptoms.

Is there anywhere you can get access to something like this?
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this but never knew there was a name for it. I keep telling my boyfriend I hate winter time b/c of no sunshine & I get depressed & grouchy & want to sleep & eat all the time.

My 2-sided cubicle has florescent lighting, plus I have a lamp over my monitor. I will also get more vitamin D & I plan to set up my tanning bed in the spare room. Thanks for the ideas everyone!
  • klroemen
    Options
    Thank you so much!!:flowerforyou:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I self diagnosed when I lived in Ohio, I found myself suddenly depressed and borderline suicidal...I thought it was because of my husbands' raging ex-wives court case but noticed my ability to cope would be better (not perfect) but better in the summer (mind you summer in north east ohio can still have you leaving the pool with blue frozen lips). It was the greyness that really got to me.

In the end we moved, not only b/c of my SAD but my husbands ashtma was irritated by cold and humidity, AND the timing was right with the job offers. We moved to AZ. It's hard to be sad when there is sun ALL the time (BUt I manage)

I would say you have great advice above but the one I agree with the most, as silly as it sounds, is exercize at NIGHT. And if it hasn't been said already, go to bed on time and wake up early, the more daylight hours the better.
  • klroemen
    Options
    Okay - updates! Started taking vitamins and vitamin D, working out in the morning before the sun rises, tan for 5 minutes every day and I bought a "happy lamp". I tell you what, I feel like a gazillion bucks!! Thank you, thank you for all your suggestions! Hugs to you all! :wink: