Better than Visalus? 80

Options
13»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition, easily the best protein shake on the market for a budget. Also, whey protein has a much better amino acid profile and much better bioavailability than soy protein. The macros are just about spot on for what you are looking for, and it's about $25 for a one month supply. optimum Nutrition shake and a decent multivitamin will give you everything you need that a Visalus or a Shakeology shake will give you for a fraction of the price.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    And where are you getting that whey does not have amino acids - you do realize its starting point is milk don't you?

My apologies for that. I of course, can't find where I found that, to go back and re-read it. I read a lot of info on other products yesterday. I know I was on the topic of soy protein.. Obviously confused something!!! D'oh! :-O

Huh? You confused whey with another type of protein that doesn't have amino acids?
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I prefer Shakeology, all natural with more nutrients than is available in even Visalus. I have a great comparison chart, if you are interested in it. . It compares not only the Vi shakes, but SEVERAL other shakes on the market. It's what I drink daily and it's made a big difference in my body.

Alissa

***POST EDITED BY STAFF in response to guideline 14 ***
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

I lol'ed..."No no...don't buy that mid-level marketing crap...but THIS mid-level marketing crap..."
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
  • toberdawg
    Options
    If you can handle drinking a Visalus shake then you should be able to make your own smoothie with real food. You might need to experiment a bit at first but I think anyone that can choke down one of those "shakes" should be able to make something much better at home.

Feel free to suggest a home made shake mix that is easy to transport (I am always on the go, working ant an emergency medical facility 40+ hours per week and traveling 100+miled per week to care for my disabled Father. I spend maybe 10 non sleepin hours at home per week), does not contain anything diffcult to digest (fruits and veggies kill me if eaten at the wrong time of day), keeps well, and is reasonaby nutritious, low in calories and high in protein.

Maybe we could be more help if you explained more about what your dietary issue is. Is it digesting whole foods, can you handle juices, dairy, etc?

My stomach does not empty like a normal persons should. Especially when I am less active (I know this is normal to a degree). Items that my stomach has diffuculty digesting may sit in there for 12 hours or more. Veggies (cooked or raw), meat that is not ground up, rice, pasta. Dairy is usually fine.

It pretty much boils down to the valve at the top of my stomach does not close all the way, making it difficult for me to eat acidic/spicy/salty things. The valve at the bottom of my stomach does not like to open and empty my stomach contents.

I can eat like a normal human being between the hours of 1p and 8p, depending on what time I go to bed/get up. Any food makes me sick to my stomach within 4-5 hours of waking. I am able to drink Visalus because it is not acidic, is easy to digest and does not have a strong/overpowering taste. If I eat too soon before going to bed it WILL come up the next morning and it will burn my esophagus, leading to me needing to fast for at least 24 hours.

This is something I have had to deal with my whole life. The way I dealt with it was to just eat whatever I could stuff into my face during the hours of normal eating and fast the rest of the time. I used to vomit at least once per day.
    Since I startes Visalus in july I have vomited maybe 15 times. That is a record of vomit freeness for me.
  • jebarritt
    Options
    It amazes me that people want to get all caught up in their excuses of why they can't lose weight, they should say why they won't lose weight......it's because they obviously don't want to. The fact is I have been on Visalus for 5 weeks, I have lost 32 lbs so far and feel great. I had someone send me a message saying they had six bags of shake they wanted to sell, when I asked if the product worked for her she said "nope, I gained weight" I then asked how long she was on the program....she said 90 days....well the fact is in 90 days she would have had 6 bags shipped to her.......my question is how do you expect it to work if you don't open the bag.......:laugh:
  • AlissaAngelo
    AlissaAngelo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No. I was going to simply offer a comparison chart... don't always assume the worst in people.

Anyhoo, that's what I get for trying to be helpful... too funny! Have a SUPER day! :happy:
  • toberdawg
    Options
    It amazes me that people want to get all caught up in their excuses of why they can't lose weight, they should say why they won't lose weight......it's because they obviously don't want to. The fact is I have been on Visalus for 5 weeks, I have lost 32 lbs so far and feel great. I had someone send me a message saying they had six bags of shake they wanted to sell, when I asked if the product worked for her she said "nope, I gained weight" I then asked how long she was on the program....she said 90 days....well the fact is in 90 days she would have had 6 bags shipped to her.......my question is how do you expect it to work if you don't open the bag.......:laugh:

I am not using Visalus for the sole purpose of losing weight . . . as a side note I have lost almost 35lbs since using it beause I am able to spread my calories throughout the day vs. all at once. My BF% has gone from the 40's to the 20's. I believe I have a pretty good handle on weight loss and how its done. I am not caught up in any excuses. I have a health issue that makes my eating habits different.

I am not anti Visalus in any way. I am just trying to save some money because my financial situation has changed. If I cant afford I cnt afford it no matter how great a product it is.
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I take Visalis, have it on autoshipment, and i love it. I have looked at switching to something else that might be a little cheaper, but i would be without the metabolism booster and the hunger control powder, which i am convinced do work well for me (believing in something is very important.
    i have printed off the "competitor Comparison Chart, and see that the #s for comparison go up and down, all over the place. I think it would be very difficult to find one that is a close enough match. there are 10 others on the chart.
    My biggest fear would be that whateve i chose just wouldn't taste as good. "choking down" something is not an option for me. If i don't like it, im less likely to continue on it. to be honest, in comparison to what i was eating before, Visalis is about half my grocery bill.
  • shanerg70
    shanerg70 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ...optimum Nutrition shake and a decent multivitamin will give you everything you need that a Visalus or a Shakeology shake will give you for a fraction of the price.

What is considered a "decen't" multivitamin?
  • shanerg70
    shanerg70 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Huh? You confused whey with another type of protein that doesn't have amino acids?

I SAID that I couldn't find where I saw that info...because I'd read so much that day. I'd confused SOMETHINGERETHER.
  • Anjamracevic
    Options
    My problem with Visalus is its soy based - and soy is so bad for you. I will not eat anything that has soy in the ingredient list, especially a product thats supposed to be healthy and safe, yet uses soy protein in their blend. Thats the main reason I never used Vi, or any other shake on the market - as well as that even if they dont use soy, they use nasty crap like artificial sugars, flavors, preservatives and other nasty crap i dont want in my body. I looked and looked and looked and wasnt able to find anything that fit my high quality standards...until i found Isagenix. I can mix their shake with water, know i'm getting pure, safe, powerful nutrition, and have lost incredible weight since starting. I am a distributor, and i'm not ashamed to say that - but after all, this is just my opnion and doesnt meant anything to anyone who doesnt agree....I believe we are all trying to fight the same demon, obesity and the unhealthy lifestyles we lead - wether we do it through Vi or Isagenix, or Weight Watchers, or whatever else out there, its all better than sitting on the couch and wishing the fat would melt off right?! i commend you on your efforts and fight for healthy living...keep it up, no matter what product you use! :)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Way i see it.. everything in this world is bad for you.. no matter what you eat, drink or consume in one way or another.. eventually, someone will say its bad for you. SO, with my health, i do what makes me feel GOOD. I have crohns, andi tried the vi-shakes not on a whim.. not to lose weight, and not to get healthier, but to actually support my best friend when she joined the company! I ordered from her as her very first customer...

within 90 days (i figured i ordered, i might as well use the stuff, right?) I had gone from a size 20 jeans to a size 14... and all i did was drink these shakes! BUT with christmas coming up, i went to the backoffice (which is really easy to do) and stopped my autoship and just order monthly now. I order the $49 shake bag (which is one shake a day) and only use one scoop (45 calories) per shake instead of two, so one bag last me an entire month of two shakes a day.. (instead of the standard 2 bags and $99 lastng you for a month of two shakes a day!) I also do not use it now as meal replacements, but when i need calorie fill ins, or when i have a really hard workout day & need the extra protein.. or when im feeling ill, or my kids get sick! You cant beat the extra nutrition! <3

So, thats my VI story & im sticking to it. I personally dont care what other people say or do or think. its what works for me & thats all im concerned about.. i just wanted to share my side & hope that helps you, OP. =)

PS.. i am no longer on my meds for Crohns disease, which i was on for 7 years. Miracle? Maybe.. Vi Shakes.. most likely! =D