Favorite Excuse to Skip the Gym (and rebuttal)

Options

Replies

• Br4ndi
    Br4ndi Posts: 177
    Options
    My husband and I both get up at 5am to workout. He goes to the gym and I head down tot he basement and do whatever P90X video is the video of that day. it makes it easy since he is also getting up and at 5am other than sleep there is nothing in the way. I also have a friend come over and join me and I know if I don't get up she will be knkocking on the door!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This has got me thinking! Good OP!

I usually make it to the gym on my strength training days - I tell myself I'm on a program there, and I have to stick to it.

But I sometimes skip cardio days. Which, thinking about it, could be because I don't have a schedule. I just kind of go for a run, or do some time on the elliptical. Or not, if I'm with my girlfriend, or dealing with kids that night (my time is split between the 2).

Hmmm - looks like I need to schedule my cardio more "formally".
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel like running, usually, I have some sort of event to run in. It seems like I always have something scheudled. So, usually right when I sign up for something, I set up a training schedule. So, when I don't feel like running, I remind myself o0f the event I am training for, and how I will get behind if I don't stick to it.

This works well for anything 10K and over.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It's been a long day. --- it's ALWAYS a long day. Just put the shoes on!

I'll get home too late. --- Dinner can be light - better for you anyway. Just put the shoes on!

My knees hurt. --- All the more reason to workout. The bike will get the knees moving; being in the warm water will feel god (I swim at a rehab pool); losing weight can only help - so just put the shoes on!

I don't want to. --- OK - if you don't go the gym then you have to do something at home like bike or Wii. Just put the shoes on!

Trying to do "no more than 2 days in a row of no intentional exercise".

JUST PUT THE SHOES ON! It's been my mantra lately. I've found that if I can motivate myself to just get into my gym clothes, then I'm fine for a workout.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Mine actually also works on indulging/cheat meals..

Excuse: Oh well I've already eaten bad today might as well count it as a Cheat DAY! Or skip the gym!!
    Saving me: Well if you had one flat tire you wouldn't go around and flatten all the others before you changed it!

Excuse: I just blew out my hair n it looks and smells so good
    Saving Me: Hanging a tight short dress I plan on wearing over the weekend near my mirror

Excuse: I'll be all sweaty and gross first thing in the am
    Saving me: Remembering I'd rather be that than covered in clothing at the beach- Hello micro bikini
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Id say - A bit tired, I think ill do the home workout on the bed with my partner :bigsmile:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My only excuses are:

1. No clean workout clothes (esp. sports bras). Maybe need to buy more.
    2. Feeling sick
    3. Taking an intentional full rest day.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    The only thing that stops me is stomach issues that I have. I know when it's bad enough that I physically can't exercise but I also know when it's mild and I will be fine, and that's when I push myself out the door even though I don't want to.

All other times, I'm dying to exercise! 12-13 hour days on my butt at work make me crave movement.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It always boils down to "I don't wanna" - and my immediate response is "ok, then! You can do the laundry or clean the kids' room or wash the dishes or scrub the kitchen or pay some bills or go through that pile of clothes for Goodwill or..."

Funnily enough, I'm never really interested in skipping the gym.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Others: It's pouring down rain/snow/other crappy weather and you are still going out in it to exercise?
    Me: I have allergies. My doctor says I have to keep moving or they flare up.
    Others: Oh, what are you allergic to?
    Me: Excuses.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Excuse: Its a lot of work to get ready to go to the gym.
    Answer: I will do today what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Usually after a long day of work I just want to go to the bar and drink several beers. I just have to keep reminding myself of why I'm doing what I'm doing, and it usually works.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Others: It's pouring down rain/snow/other crappy weather and you are still going out in it to exercise?
    Me: I have allergies. My doctor says I have to keep moving or they flare up.
    Others: Oh, what are you allergic to?
    Me: Excuses.
    he he he, love it!
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    JUST PUT THE SHOES ON! It's been my mantra lately. I've found that if I can motivate myself to just get into my gym clothes, then I'm fine for a workout.

I love it! I always say the hardest part about working out is getting out the door! PUT YOUR SHOES ON! Awesome!
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I'll just be extra careful what I eat today.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Excuse: I don't feel like it.

Rebuttal: Stop being a *****.

That's me talking to myself, not directed to anyone else.

Except TBully4, ilovedeadlifts, and some of my non-MFP friends who know who they are.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I sometimes overdo the "I need to recover" excuse. But the most outrageous excuse I've ever heard from someone else was "I drove to the gym, but I couldn't find a parking spot close enough, so I left."
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Tired after work....chug down some pre workout and by the second set you'll be wide awake and ready to lift like a champ!!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    A wise friend of mine says that sometimes your brain tries to get in the way - but this is between you and your body, so your brain needs to mind its own business. :smile:
  • Quibeful
    Quibeful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's been a long day. --- it's ALWAYS a long day. Just put the shoes on!

I'll get home too late. --- Dinner can be light - better for you anyway. Just put the shoes on!

My knees hurt. --- All the more reason to workout. The bike will get the knees moving; being in the warm water will feel god (I swim at a rehab pool); losing weight can only help - so just put the shoes on!

I don't want to. --- OK - if you don't go the gym then you have to do something at home like bike or Wii. Just put the shoes on!

Trying to do "no more than 2 days in a row of no intentional exercise".

I LOVE IT!!!