Has anyone just stopped weighing?

Options
I'm currently 5'2 and 120 pounds, I started at 128. 120 isn't by any means my lowest weight. I used to be a chronic yoyo dieter, & I stayed as far as possible from any type of exercise - cardio or strength. All I cared about was losing *pounds*, so I frequently found myself losing lots of water weight/minimal fat/muscle and gaining the weight right back.

Now, I'm at a point where my waist is the same size at 120 pounds, that it used to be when I weighed 115 and was crash dieting. So I know my body composition is changing for the better. For the past 6 weeks I've been doing the elliptical machine on medium resistance 5x a week, I eat about 1400 a day, and two weeks ago I added in daily ab workouts. The first 4 weeks I lost about 7 pounds, and within the last two I've lost just one. However, it seems like my waist size is decreasing steadily.

I've figured that I'd rather have my 25" waist (I'm at 27.5in right now) and weigh more than my original goal weight, than slave over a number on the scale that continues to stay stagnant. If anything, I'm thinking of continuing to track my measurements once a week, and using that as my primary measure of progress instead of what the scale says.

Do any of you do something similar?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself maybe once a month. I know my body is totally different now at 113 pounds than it was at 102 pounds, and I am very happy about that. I have more muscle and less fat and my clothes fit just fine. I just use my clothing to judge my progress. The scale isn't an accurate way to judge fitness level anyway and that's all I really care about. :wink:
  • Just_do_it_xo
    Just_do_it_xo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Me!! well sort of! I decided to stop weighing myself, because I was like you focused on the pounds and number on that scale and realized I wasn't seeing I was making progress with my cardio and strength training! ...and also, with the whole muscle weighs more then fat thing, I didn't understand that! So now I weigh myself once a month or whenever I feel like I should, otherwise Ill stick to my good old measuring tape to show me my progress! haha

So yes say No to the scale or stick to it once a month just for an overview and YES to the measuring, that way you can measure those muscles!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit weighting completely, maybe every 1-2 weeks these days just for a sanity check. I'm in maintenance mode. I've been going by how my clothes fit and how I feel in general. Quite frankly, I've had much more success doing it this way that when I was when I was hopping on the scale every single day.