Fast food/restaurants

Options
If I were to eat out, and believe me I'll try my very best not to, what would be the "healthiest" option? Is subway really much better for you? I'm sure it is compared to greasy burgers and whatnot, but what about the grilled chicken sandwiches from sonic, mcdonalds, and whatever other place. I'm only asking because I'm curious. I do NOT plan on making any of them part of a regular diet or anything.

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Fast food is rarely the MOST healthy thing you can eat, but at most places now they do have options that are not nearly as bad as they could be. Yes, the grilled chicken sandwiches are usually a much better choice. The one thing you have to be careful of with those though is the mayo. I don't eat meat anymore, but I used to do grilled chicken sandwiches pretty frequently, and it seemed like fast food places like to put a TON of mayo on them, which ruins a lot of the benefit of eating grilled chicken in the first place! I would just ask for no mayo or have them put mustard. Subway can be a good choice, but it is all about what you put on it. For instance, the tuna salad still has a decent amount of fat and calories. But if you go with a lean meat like turkey, or just veggies, it is definitely better than a greasy burger.
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Burger King 4 piece chicken tenders are 190 calories so not a real bad choice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like the Arby's roast beef.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants have their nutrition facts available online
  • cadams429
    Options
    The mayo really is a killer but also keep in mind any kind of special sauce is usually laden with sugar and/or salt.

Lettuce wraps from Jimmy Johns - no mayo are always a good choice.

At mcdonalds i will usually get two grilled chicken snack wraps, no sauce, no cheese, extra lettuce, add tomatoes. Not great but acceptable in a pinch!
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I'm uk and have found macdonalds salads, nandos salads, low fat subways, Pizza Hut pizzette things are all good. To be honest most chain restaurants in uk have sect choices now - it's those tasty independent restaurants that make it really difficult to make a good choice. You pick a salad and find out its twice the calories of a pasta etc
  • AprilLove13
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll steer clear as much as possible. The only take out we get is usually chinese. I know it's not very good for me at all. Maybe I'll try snacking off his food if he will share instead of getting myself something as well next time.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo. Point blank. Lol. It's available at pretty much any fast food place & they run about 300 to 400 calories each, max.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Almost all fast food places at least have a side salad - so you could get a hamburger and a side salad w/ balsamic dressing (McDonald's). Or a snack wrap w/ the side salad. The regular chicken sandwich is about 350 cals which isn't bad if you get the sandwich only.

The McD the egg mcmuffin has about 18 g of protein and 300 calories. Their oatmeal is lower in protein, but also comes in under 300 cals.

There are options! Just don't get the side of fries or the big soft drink and of course stay away from the big burgers!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I tend to go no bun and cut the fries. For instance, at McD's I will get a McDouble and tell them no bun. They are $1 on our dollar menu. Still add the cheese, onions, tomatoe, lettuce, ketchup, and musturd. No fries. On a RARE occasion if I have calories available I might get a small fry but it is rare and I don't finish them...
  • MrsBailey149
    MrsBailey149 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    SUBWAY.....I LOVE it. 6 inch veggie delight on wheat with mozerella cheese toasted is amazing and only like 260 calories :) I want one right now!
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Subway Veggie Delight- Alllll the veggies except olives (just can't get myself to like them...), no cheese- Avacado in place of cheese.

It's really good.

But what's better is definitely making your own veggie delight on true whole grain bread. Sigh. If only it were as quick and easy :)