Incline on the treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a hiker, so when I work out inside, I love to use the treadmill on the highest incline setting for hill intervals and go about 3 mph. It gets your heart rate up, but it's lower impact. Also very good for your backside (lifts that booty). For me, it's functional fitness.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My trainer once had me do a CRAZY incline of about 14 or something, at a pace of 2.5. It is just something different. You use different muscles, like hiking up a hill. You should try it sometime. See if you like it
  • TamHend
    TamHend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    How do you log incline walking? I've searched but not found anything, if I just put walking at 3.5 its fewer calories than it should be...
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use the 'Random' program on the treadmill with the setting in the 8-10 range. It says I burn more calories and it's more like being outside.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    1% will mimic running outdoors, so most runners use that setting.

When I use the treadmill, I have it cycle through a "fat burning" setting that mimics hills. It'll start out flat, gradually increase the incline as high as 6% or8 8%, and hen go back down. The little graph on the treadmill looks like an EKG because it varies the incline so much. It's like walking along a path that has hills. I really like that setting because it's cruise, cruise, ugh, ugh, pant pant pant, much better, easy mode, easy mode, cruising, oh crap here we go again, homahgod kill me, etc.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    1% will mimic running outdoors, so most runners use that setting.

When I use the treadmill, I have it cycle through a "fat burning" setting that mimics hills. It'll start out flat, gradually increase the incline as high as 6% or8 8%, and hen go back down. The little graph on the treadmill looks like an EKG because it varies the incline so much. It's like walking along a path that has hills. I really like that setting because it's cruise, cruise, ugh, ugh, pant pant pant, much better, easy mode, easy mode, cruising, oh crap here we go again, homahgod kill me, etc.

LMFAO! :laugh:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Life Fitness treadmills use only the actual workload (speed and elevation) to calculate estimated calories. They do not use heart rate. If you are not holding on to the handrails, the calorie estimates on Life Fitness treadmills are the most accurate method there is -- more accurate than an HRM.

Calories are calculated continously based on workload--if you are seeing a lot of "1000 kcal/hour" displays, but the total after an hour is less than that, it just means you are spending more time below that threshold than above--and if you are doing a program workout, there is a lower-intensity warm up that is included.
    @Azdak - Re: Lower intensity warm-up; that's what I thought but I disproved that. My warm-up/cool-down phases are very short, less than 7 min total. I did the math by ignoring the time from the 'outer' phases and focused only on the active part in the middle. I never drop below 900 cals/hr, so a 50 min active phase should be 750 cals by itself. That doesn't even count the 5-6 minsin the middle of the active phase where I'm at ~1200 cals/hr (15% incline). The outer phases are at least 700 cals/hr. Yet the entire workout will barely hits 800 cals for the hour. I dunno...
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I go to 1.0 on the treadmill to mimic outdoor running. I think that's realistic? Is that considered "1%"?