Are Morningstar, Boca, etc quality foods or junk

Options
I'm not asking about taste, but if you want to give your opinion on that that is fine.

What I'm asking is, what are these foods made of? Are they processed, are they considered clean foods, are they junk or a little of all if the above? I've always just blindly eaten them without really paying attention to what they're made of.

Replies

• jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The first two ingredients in the Morningstar sausage patties are texturized soy protein and organic wheat gluten... from there they contain an additional 15 ingredients

Clean eating is about eating as much whole food as possible and these would not fall into the 'whole food' category.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well a morning star burger doesn't grow in nature so they're definitely processed.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    They are definitely processed and not even close to whole or clean foods. They are a combination of soy products combined with chemicals and additives to try to make them taste like meat, or to give them some sort of different flavor from what the base is.

If you want veggie burgers, you can make your own at home. If you aren't vegetarian, then just eat some freshly ground meat. :)
  • EvilShenanigansTX
    EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    These products are HIGHLY processed. They are not clean. My test is if I can make it in my home kitchen with ingredients I can get at the grocery store/farmer's market then it is clean. There are additives, extenders, and flavor enhancers that are not available in my store.

I avoid most of the time.
  • RavenBeauty87
    RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff and have been eating it for years... I tell my doctor about it and I get test run often through my weight loss process.... Sure not the best stuff in the world but hey thus far I'm doing great
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The ingredients vary a lot depending on the brand, they can be soy-based, vegetable based, bean-based, or fungi-based (quorn products). You can find some with long ingredient lists and some that are much shorter. You can make your own veggie burgers and freeze them if you want something as un-processed as possible.
  • athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would eat these products very sparingly..I know they are tempting; as a non-meat eater for the past 15 years its been great to see all the new choices that have become available. However, these 'healthy' alternatives are mostly chemicals and fillers. I get my protein from seafood and beans. If I had to choose, Id eat real meat over soy fake meat any day .
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    They're just fine. Eat them if you like it.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for most of the Morningstar and Boca stuff, but I do use Quorn products and like them pretty well.

I make my own black bean burgers and freeze them - so much better flavor and texture than the prefab ones from the store.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    They are highly processed, but so are a lot of things. There really isn't a single definition of "clean." Whether you choose to eat them or not is a matter of personal preference.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you can't pronounce the ingredients, they are processed. Just because it doesn't contain meat does not make them good for you. They are not clean by any means, and probably aren't any better than the products located next to them on the shelf/freezer. Of course, we all eat junk from time to time, so I eat these brands' product's occasionally because they are vegetarian.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Quality
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Absolute junk.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    They are very processed, obviously.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would say junk. Just make you're own black bean burgers. OR, if you must have frozen burgers, Amy's Organic are pretty good health-wise and taste-wise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    They are processed - but that does not mean they are junk or are unhealthy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would eat these products very sparingly..I know they are tempting; as a non-meat eater for the past 15 years its been great to see all the new choices that have become available. However, these 'healthy' alternatives are mostly chemicals and fillers. I get my protein from seafood and beans. If I had to choose, Id eat real meat over soy fake meat any day .

What is exactly wrong with what is in them,

If you do not eat meat - then fish and well, meat, are not alternatives.
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally--I was just reading up on these burgers a few hours ago since I stocked up on a couple of boxes and wondered belatedly whether that was a good idea. Here's a link to an article (along with a link to a study inside the article) about hexane and neurotoxins in some of these products. http://www.utne.com/Wild-Green/Do-You-Want-Hexane-With-Your-Veggie-Burger-7165.aspx

Bottom line, I'll finish the boxes I bought, but I may buy them more sparingly now given the info.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies and information. This is mostly what I was thinking. I've. Been getting them for so long it didn't even occur to me to question them. Not saying that I won't eat them ever, but they probably won't be a staple.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally--I was just reading up on these burgers a few hours ago since I stocked up on a couple of boxes and wondered belatedly whether that was a good idea. Here's a link to an article (along with a link to a study inside the article) about hexane and neurotoxins in some of these products. http://www.utne.com/Wild-Green/Do-You-Want-Hexane-With-Your-Veggie-Burger-7165.aspx

Bottom line, I'll finish the boxes I bought, but I may buy them more sparingly now given the info.
    Thank you for giving the link. I went and read it and found it helpful. I am not vegan or vegetarian at this time. I am trying to eat less meat. I also like the fact that they gave the list that was okay.