Comparing ourselves is more than not cool--it's destructive!

Options
My two daughters were out jean shopping today. The sales woman told my oldest daughter (who is a tad shorter than my youngest daughter) how beautiful she is. For the record, both of my daughters are gorgeous, but this chick (older woman, my age) just kept on raving about how beautiful my oldest daughter was and how she should be a model. My oldest daughter interrupted her and said that her younger sister is just a beautiful as she is, she then went to to tell this rude woman, that my younger daughter is not only gorgeous, but tall and she could be a model too. The woman had the nerve to ask my youngest daughter what size she was, and guessed about a size 3-4. My youngest daughter told her yes, that's what size she is. This woman went on to say that's a nice size, "but compared to your pretty sister, who looks like a size 0-2, and that's a better size. :mad:

When they came home and told me, I called up store immediately and tore her a new *kitten* verbally. She didn't get it. She told me she was simply "complementing" the girls. I asked her how would she has felt if someone said that to her, treated her that way, comparing her and her sister--going on and on with how beautiful one is and then saying the other one is okay, but not as pretty, how would she feel? She got it then, and apologized. I told her she needs to apologize to my younger daughter. She did. Afterwards, I told her to be careful about making rude and insensitive comments to young ladies like that in the future, this is how young girls can develop eating disorders!

My youngest daughter was really hurt/confused/irritated--but understood that this woman was loony and rude. The lesson I'm teaching her from this is that people can be rude and not to allow other's stupid comments to rock their world. Then I told her I need to learn this lesson myself. I've been thinking all day about how destructive comparing myself with others is. The NSV from this mess is: Comparing ourselves and others is NOT wise. I/we need to think before we speak and to not allow others to comments, views, opinions and what not to rock our worlds and try y/our BEST to stop comparing ourselves to one another and others for that matter too. Huge NSV!

Replies

• dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    WTG! I would have done that or worse.... gone down to the store for a face to face!!!!! I know I should be more tolerant of ignorant people, but I guess I am flawed that way! LOL
    After having read here at MFP, I wonder how many of us would even BE HERE.... especially the females... had we been told when we were younger that every woman is beautiful in her own way.
    Most of us ladies got the backhanded compliments of "you have such a pretty face....if only...."
    We all know that tore us deeply, and for some of us, it SENT us on a road of self loathing.

What if.... instead... we had been told we were so beautiful just the way we were. That wouldn't have sent us to eating cake in the closet when no one was looking! It would have sent us to the mirror with a smile..... and no where near the candy bars!
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I know i do this often and need to stop. That lady was out of line. It is not her job to even give her opinion on your chldren and how they look. You're right that kind of talk can cause alot of issues especially for young girls. Good for you- hopefully she will keep her opinions to herself in the future.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Love the way you handled that. I'd be so peeved if someone said that to my kids the only words that would come out were expletives.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    WTG! I would have done that or worse.... gone down to the store for a face to face!!!!! I know I should be more tolerant of ignorant people, but I guess I am flawed that way! LOL
    After having read here at MFP, I wonder how many of us would even BE HERE.... especially the females... had we been told when we were younger that every woman is beautiful in her own way.
    Most of us ladies got the backhanded compliments of "you have such a pretty face....if only...."
    We all know that tore us deeply, and for some of us, it SENT us on a road of self loathing.

What if.... instead... we had been told we were so beautiful just the way we were. That wouldn't have sent us to eating cake in the closet when no one was looking! It would have sent us to the mirror with a smile..... and no where near the candy bars!

Sooooo True! When I called her, and read her the riot act, she "seemed" to honestly not have a clue of why I was so upset. It wasn't until I asked her how she would feel if that was done to her with her sister that the nightlight bulb went off, I say nightlight bulb, because this chick was clueless. But the more I think about it...the more I think about the details my daughters gave me....it makes me wonder, was she truly "clueless" or simply an EVIL coldhearted bruja! :angry:

Thanks so much for replying!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I know i do this often and need to stop. That lady was out of line. It is not her job to even give her opinion on your chldren and how they look. You're right that kind of talk can cause alot of issues especially for young girls. Good for you- hopefully she will keep her opinions to herself in the future.

Girl, me too. The funny thing is I was just thinking about this d@mnable business of comparing ourselves with one another and how ugly and unproductive it is, when my babies came home and told me this. It's so easy to do and only purposeful thinking before we speak and not comparing one of the only solutions. Wow, my daughter was really hurt by this and how we hurt others and how others blasted wagging of the tongues can really plant the funky seeds of doubt, fear and hurt.

It's a good thing for her that she was humble and apologetic, because if she was anything less than that when I was giving her "what for" I would have told the manager AND the owner of the store--I was HOT, not merely for my daughter(s), but also if this
    unthinking chick would say that to others and potentially do some serious damaged with her blasted mouth! Hmmmph!

Thank you so much for posting. :flowerforyou:
  • shapeup6
    shapeup6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a horrible situation for your daughters. I'm glad your older daughter stood up for her beautiful younger sister! That part made me smile. Also, good for you for calling the store and pointing out how destructive the comment was. I have sisters as well and it is hard not to compare myself with them! Hopefully the lady learned a lesson from all of this!
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I agree ^^^^^

I was really mad reading this story!! Ppl just don't get that what they say could have a negative impact on others!! Everyone is beautiful in there own way and size has nothing to do with that. I would have flipped on the manager too... there is no reason for her to make your daughter feel like crap about herself.. GOSH! Now I am grumpy too!

My duaghter was born with a hemangioma (sp) anyway is a red/purple blood vessel growth thingy on her head and the first 6 months it grew to the size of a loonie (I am in canada obviously) and some ppl were SOOOOOO rude. Some were tactful asking about it which I didn't mind I didn't know until she was born with it then some ppl when she was about 2 (you could still see it in her hair b/c it was thin) would just come out and ask "what's wrong with her?" I just wanted to scream "WTF is wrong with you!!!" But I chose to be a lady and say what it was and that it will go away and it's not harming her!!! GRRRRRRR
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Wow, how thoughtless. Some people really just don't get it. Kudos to your older daughter for being such a good sister, though. And kudos to you for raising her like that.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    That sounds like a horrible situation for your daughters. I'm glad your older daughter stood up for her beautiful younger sister! That part made me smile. Also, good for you for calling the store and pointing out how destructive the comment was. I have sisters as well and it is hard not to compare myself with them! Hopefully the lady learned a lesson from all of this!

I can be as sweet as baby OR as mean as a vicious a hungry tigress or protectively as a grizzly bear and when it comes to folks messing with my children--honey, it's on! I'm NOT the type of mom that defends my children no matter what though--I believe that children can do wrong and they aren't perfect just like I'm not perfect and if they are doing something wrong or evil and someone calls them on it, I'm not going to defend them blindly, BUT when it comes to evil like this or someone causing some kind of harm to my children , girllll....hmmmph--It's ON ! I'm pretty sure she DID get it after I talked to her--after I got threw with her she was a humble as can be and sounded genuinely sorry and WRONG.

My children are best friends, especially my girls...my oldest daughter loves her sister and protects her like any best friend would. It's beautiful to see--she tells people all the time that her sister is her best friend and they always tell people they love each other, when they ask how and why they are so close. That's why she (my oldest daughter) intervened with this she :devil: I have also taught them to be respectful of their elders, which is why she didn't rip her to shreds for literally, humiliating her sister again and again, over and over and why my youngest daughter didn't tell her a thing or two either. Because thiswas an older woman around my age--no spring chicken at all.
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    I would not have responded as courteously as you did, I assure you. If I were one of your daughters, or you, I'd make sure never to shop at that store ever again, and I'd make sure they knew the reason why. Who wants someone like that representing their business? ardorrequiem.tumblr.com
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

I agree ^^^^^

I was really mad reading this story!! Ppl just don't get that what they say could have a negative impact on others!! Everyone is beautiful in there own way and size has nothing to do with that. I would have flipped on the manager too... there is no reason for her to make your daughter feel like crap about herself.. GOSH! Now I am grumpy too!

My duaghter was born with a hemangioma (sp) anyway is a red/purple blood vessel growth thingy on her head and the first 6 months it grew to the size of a loonie (I am in canada obviously) and some ppl were SOOOOOO rude. Some were tactful asking about it which I didn't mind I didn't know until she was born with it then some ppl when she was about 2 (you could still see it in her hair b/c it was thin) would just come out and ask "what's wrong with her?" I just wanted to scream "WTF is wrong with you!!!" But I chose to be a lady and say what it was and that it will go away and it's not harming her!!! GRRRRRRR

{{{{ Hugs }}}} Wow, people are so ignorant and cruel. I'm proud of you for handling it like a lady. I went off on this ignorant chick not ONLY for my child's sake, but also so she can remember to watch her mouth and be careful and to NOT do this again to ANYONE else! She got it, believe me. If I had noted anything less than her totally "getting" it and being genuinely SORRY and SCARED--I would have got her FIRED, period.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. So sorry to hear about the way she acted. Kudos to your older daughter for stepping in! I'm sure they are both gorgeous! I pray that my two girls don't have to face that when they get older, I don't know how I'd react!
  • marywell
    Options
    The problem with comparing ourselves to others is that we are comparing our weaknesses with their strengths. It is not a level playing field that way. I would kill to be a 3-4!!!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    What. The. HELL is wrong with people!!!!??? WHO THE FRICK WOULD DO THAT?

Looney? The woman was certifiable!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    The problem with comparing ourselves to others is that we are comparing our weaknesses with their strengths. It is not a level playing field that way. I would kill to be a 3-4!!!!

Wow! That's DEEP...I'm storing this in my bio-computer for SURE! Thanks for posting!
  • MandiK3
    MandiK3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I agree ^^^^^

{{{{ Hugs }}}} Wow, people are so ignorant and cruel. I'm proud of you for handling it like a lady. I went off on this ignorant chick not ONLY for my child's sake, but also so she can remember to watch her mouth and be careful and to NOT do this again to ANYONE else! She got it, believe me. If I had noted anything less than her totally "getting" it and being genuinely SORRY and SCARED--I would have got her FIRED, period.

GOOD 4 YOU!! I would have been the same way! I was a new mama then but I am 6 years stronger into my mommy mode... :D and you know what? I am proud of you for sticking up to that bully of a women!!!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Good god, even without the comparison, telling someone they're better because they're a size 0 is freaking insane.
  • marywell
    Options

Wow! That's DEEP...I'm storing this in my bio-computer for SURE! Thanks for posting!
    Thanks. I didn't come up with it though. I learned it at church. It is so true though!!!
  • porkchop009
    Options
    unfortunately the world is full of these types of people, sometimes you have to learn to deal with it. Are you going to be there every second of her life? I doubt it. Suck it up buttercup.
  • marywell
    Options
    unfortunately the world is full of these types of people, sometimes you have to learn to deal with it. Are you going to be there every second of her life? I doubt it. Suck it up buttercup.
    Just curious if you have any children? Of course she won't be there every second, but when she can she has every right to defend her children. Just because the world is full of these types of people doesn't make it right and it doesn't mean we should just let them get away with it!! People deal with stuff everyday but when we have the opportunity to put someone in their place that have hurt our children you better believe mama bear's coming out to play!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!