Do I need a full diet break?

Options
Hello everyone,

I have been counting calories since July 25th. I went from about 130 pounds to 118 in this time. I have only had a few days over my calories, so for the most part I have been in a deficit. I'm close to my goal now (110 pounds) and have been reading the forum posts from the "pros" and see a lot of talk about full diet breaks, or a week or two of maintenance being good.

What do you guys think? I don't want to slow my metabolism and not be able to eat as much as I potentially could at my goal weight. Is there any benefit I could get out of it?

Thank you!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I have been counting calories since July 25th. I went from about 130 pounds to 118 in this time. I have only had a few days over my calories, so for the most part I have been in a deficit. I'm close to my goal now (110 pounds) and have been reading the forum posts from the "pros" and see a lot of talk about full diet breaks, or a week or two of maintenance being good.

What do you guys think? I don't want to slow my metabolism and not be able to eat as much as I potentially could at my goal weight. Is there any benefit I could get out of it?

Thank you!

first, there are very few "pros" here. I will pay heed to a very few (Sidesteel is one) but for the most part, myself included, I usually spout what is good for ME and simply project onto who ever is reading.

second, I dont see you saying anything is wrong...no stall...no gain...why change now?

for ME, I would not change anything yet. You seem to be doing fine. Cross the bridge if and when you reach it.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    A full diet break for an extended period of time seems like it would be detrimental to your weight loss. Increasing to maintenance for a "break" seems like it would be better and then you can drop your calorie intake back down to your weight loss levels when you want the break to be over. Just be careful not to slip too far.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Sidesteal was actually who I had in mind!
    I also just saw another post of someone who is maintaining their weight, but only eating like 1300 a day :( and i really don't want that to be me!

I should mention that my weight loss has certainly slowed down. So I was thinking that maybe my body is adapting? Or that my hormone levels have something to do with it?

I apologize, I am very ignorant on the subject. Willing to learn! :flowerforyou:
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    A full diet break for an extended period of time seems like it would be detrimental to your weight loss. Increasing to maintenance for a "break" seems like it would be better and then you can drop your calorie intake back down to your weight loss levels when you want the break to be over. Just be careful not to slip too far.

This was my plan actually when I was thinking about it before i posted. just like a week or two at maintenance to reset hormones? (sorry like i said before I don't really know much)

And I don't really have a date set for when I want to reach my goal weight, so taking a week or 2 to help out my metabolism wouldn't bother me mentally :)
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I took a break from counting every little thing for about a week. I found that I was maintaining without really trying. I kept up with exercise but didn't really count calories. I didn't gain or lose that week. This week I have been watching the calories again and had a couple of days were I went over. I have lost a pound. For me, I think having the break and "restarting" my weight loss has worked. You could try it and see if it works for you.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

This was my plan actually when I was thinking about it before i posted. just like a week or two at maintenance to reset hormones? (sorry like i said before I don't really know much)

And I don't really have a date set for when I want to reach my goal weight, so taking a week or 2 to help out my metabolism wouldn't bother me mentally :)

as we near our goal weight ( assuming it is reasonable) weight loss will definetely slow down. it slows down to a crawl it seems and half a pound a week is a great rate of loss. Plus, close to goal weight and hopefully with some resistence training, it could be slower than that..

I am not aware of any need to "reset" hormones without medical testing. I would keep plugging away considering you started in July.

good luck
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I had to go to maintenance for a few weeks in September. I had bronchitis and was focused more not coughing my lungs up than losing weight. It was close to 3 weeks off. When I was finally recovered I was mentally ready to get going and jumped back into my routine. I immediately lost a couple pounds.
    I think you can occasionally get tired of being so "good" all the time. A break for your own mental health can be helpful. It's like a vacation. You come back refreshed and ready to go.
    One caveat, this is only if you know you'll come back from your vacation. Some people would have a really hard time getting back to work after a break.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options

as we near our goal weight ( assuming it is reasonable) weight loss will definetely slow down. it slows down to a crawl it seems and half a pound a week is a great rate of loss. Plus, close to goal weight and hopefully with some resistence training, it could be slower than that..

I am not aware of any need to "reset" hormones without medical testing. I would keep plugging away considering you started in July.

good luck

I only lose a half a pound in october for some reason :( and my measurements haven't really changed. So it was made sense in my head. I'm glad I asked!

Thank you so much for the help :)

Does anyone know then why a full diet break is suggested? Just curious! I have seen it said around here a few times and I know Lyle McDonald mentions it too. :smile:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I wrote a whole brain-dump on the subject:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13

Hope it helps!
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    Actually a quick search on his site and I found this
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I should have read it before posting!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Totally read this - it is a great article.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

great info on his site
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

I was just going to post this article for you :smile:
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    I wrote a whole brain-dump on the subject:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MoreBean13

Hope it helps!

wow thanks so much!

You guys are awesome, thanks again everyone :D
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Haven't actually read OP or replies just stopped in to say the answer is YES k bye
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lyle's article is what I would have given you as well.

Basically a diet break may be done when:

A person has maintained a very long period of chronic calorie restriction and one - or more - of these four things:

1)has reached at least one plateau.
    2)is experiencing pronounced psychological trauma which negatively affects mental health.
    3)baseline and present RMR and endocrine function is greatly impaired as demonstrated by medical tests.
    4)still has a significant amount of body fat to lose before goal is reached.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've done this and it worked great. I went to maintenance for a month at a time though, not just a week. Actually when I got here I was maintaining on 900 calories. I didn't really realize I was eating so little, I just kept restricting every time I hit a plateau. Once I joined MFP and started logging I realized that I was in dangerous territory. I gradually worked them up while losing weight using this method and now I maintain at 1700.

ETA: I don't think it actually needs to be as long as the break I took, it just fit well within my current circumstances to do it that way.
  • Pace29
    Pace29 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good article. Thinking of doing a diet break at end of month myself.
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...I must read this!