What's your plan, what's your cocktail order?

Options
Jut trying to get some ideas.

I am on a low-carb plan (carb cycling, actually) and though I love red wine, I ordered a dirty martini with bleu cheese-stuffed olives the other night when I went out with my husband, because of the low carb content. I also love salt, brine (capers, olives) and the shape of martini glasses, so it worked out just fine. :drinker:

The Question: When you are sticking to your weight loss plan, and you find yourself out for a drink, what do you order?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'd rather order something I'll enjoy then be disappointed in my drink. I enjoy Captain and Diet Coke. It's only 60 calories an ounce so if I eat smart, I can drink half a pint and still be under my calorie goal.
  • jane987
    jane987 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I'm being good I'll have vodka, soda and lime. The only calories there are in the vodka, so about 60, and the drink isn't too sweet either.

If I'm indulging a little (and if I've been strict with my diet up until I head out) then I go for wine, sometimes a beer or two. depends on the weather. Everything in moderation and if you eat low calorie meals for the rest of the day then having a few indulgent drinks is ok I think!
  • hannyt
    hannyt Posts: 33
    Options
    captain and diet or a good bloody mary :)
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Well, like you ( a low carber too) I am definitely a martini gal!

Other than that I would probably order tequila on the rocks with lime...Cheers!
  • dellalyn
    Options
    Vodka Soda - with lemon!

The thing to remember is that the pours at the bar aren't necessarily an ounce pour. They are often 1.5 oz.
    So when figuring out calories, I always estimate 1.5 or 2 oz pours just to be safe.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Vodka soda line is a fav of mine too, sailor jerry rum with coke zero. I fine that dry white wine (my favourite) is not tttoooo bad. I can usually fit a few into my calorie allowance if I plan for it. I always exercise on days that I drink. Have even managed to get quite drunk under my calorie allowance with a very long run and some gardening. Wouldn't reccomend that though :smile:

:drinker:
  • PHXBlondie
    PHXBlondie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cuba Libre - which is rum and Coke (in my case, diet Coke) with a slice of lime. Either that or a gin and tonic with a lime wedge. Both are refreshing and with the ice they can last a long time and still be tasty. If I have quite a few calories left for the day, I'll indulge in a Corona (100 calories).
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i enjoy wine and am a lightweight w/ it. So I have a moscato or 2 for about 120 cal a glass and enjoy every bit of it.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't drink so fortunately never have to worry about adjusting for the calories
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I just drink whiskey neat, the good stuff, and a club soda on the side.

That's usually what I order in a bar, or lounge type setting. If I'm at a restaurant it will be a gin and diet tonic.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stoli ras and soda or some other flavored vodka and soda
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    miller light...64 calories-
  • jamers1949
    Options
    Sorry ,but if you want to have that drink ,you might as well throw your diet effort away . I can appreciate your diet effort but I know that the wine or any spirits will defeat your goal. I apologise if this seems rude or judgemental but once you lower the bar your effort is doomed.

I would recommend a glass of water with lemon and Mc Ilhenny Tabasco sauce.Also any soda is just another poison to indulge in,diet or not. Drink water and quit rewarding you self with junk.

Let's face it.If you are drinking you are consuming empty calories. I really do not understand your and others responses who have contributed to this topic in a calorie counting effort?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Sorry ,but if you want to have that drink ,you might as well throw your diet effort away . I can appreciate your diet effort but I know that the wine or any spirits will defeat your goal. I apologise if this seems rude or judgemental but once you lower the bar your effort is doomed.

I would recommend a glass of water with lemon and Mc Ilhenny Tabasco sauce.Also any soda is just another poison to indulge in,diet or not. Drink water and quit rewarding you self with junk.

Let's face it.If you are drinking you are consuming empty calories. I really do not understand your and others responses who have contributed to this topic in a calorie counting effort?
    because some of us arent on diets but are doing things for the long term (ie rest of our lives). it's stupid to completely stop doing something you plan on picking back up as soon as you reach your weight goals. that's why SO many people have trouble with maintaining.

i'm losing fat just fine with my occasional vodka and soda, bags of gummi bears, brownies, popeyes etc or any other "bad" food people who fail on their ridiculous diets deprive themselves of :wink:

and um... if you want to maintain your goal weight for the rest of your life ,you might as well throw your diet effort away .
  • PHXBlondie
    PHXBlondie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has never thrown off my efforts as long as I stayed with lower calorie/carb choices. Everyone's body is different and mine, apparently, is just fine with the occasional drink.

Is this site typically so judgmental and critical? I joined here on Monday and have never been on such a snarky diet site ever.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has never thrown off my efforts as long as I stayed with lower calorie/carb choices. Everyone's body is different and mine, apparently, is just fine with the occasional drink.

Is this site typically so judgmental and critical? I joined here on Monday and have never been on such a snarky diet site ever.

Lots of the people on here aren't snarky, but just like any group...there are always a few.

I personally have lost just over 60 lbs and I hve a glass (or two) of white wine...Barefoot Pinot Grigio or Castaneda Sangria quite often. I also exercise the daylights out of myself so I stay under my calores. So...it is NOT one size fits all, with booze or anything else!

Barb
  • HilsScott
    Options
    Like quite a few of the other posts on here, I go for vodka or rum and a low or zero calorie mixer.
    I'm a great believer of anything in moderation and life is too short to deprive yourself completely of the things you enjoy so I think it's fine to have a drink or two occasionally.
    For me, this "diet" isn't about becoming a health freak, it's about training myself to understand what "normal" needs to be for me so that once I achieve my goal I can maintain it.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    White wines.

I don't drink a lot, just for the special occasions. Haven't had any since the MFP. But I will have some this week and ext week too :)
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Typically when I am keeping calories down I will have a glass of red wine although my cocktail of choice is gin and tonic when I'm not as concerned. Right now I'm trying to undo some damage left in my body by the drugs I've had to take this year and I promised myself I wouldn't have a drink until New Year's Eve. I miss it though, thank you for the ideas!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Because alcohol has health benefits. Try doing some real research. Antioxidants, it helps insulin sensitivity, and it helps with cholesterol regulation when used in moderation. If you're going to be judgmental, you should at least know what you are talking about, first. Then you might change your mind.