Alcohol causing me to go over calorie limit

Options
I know a lot of people on here say that they have a cheat day each week, but I haven't gone over my calorie limit yet and this is the first day that I have. I feel like I'm going to ruin my whole weight loss by going over my limit. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but it just makes me feel like I'm breaking a commitment to myself or something. The problem is that being that I'm in college a lot of my friends want to go out to bars, and alcohol has an insane amount of calories. I want to go out with them, but it's hard when I know that I'll be tempted to buy drinks and do shots even though I know it's not good for me. Does anyone else have this problem or a similar problem? What ways have you found to say no and stay at your daily calorie intake? Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If I'm drinking in aka socially at my house or a friends I buy the gallon on cranberry diet juice 5 cals a cup lol. And mix it with vodka as low cal as u could get lol .. I still have this problem tho sooo *Bump* I often notice after just a night of drinking my weightloss will stall for all of 3-4 days so say I usually lose 2 lbs every 7 days it'll take like 12 instead .. That I have no clue about lol
  • endjourney
    Options
    it is hard to start with because you want to be included and not feel left out. don't beat yourself up over the fact if you do have a drink but try and remember when you are out why you started your weight loss healthy lifestyle in the first place. there will be times when its hard but its the ones who can pull through will succeed in the end.
    i used to drink a lot but i have been tee total since May of this year. i still go out but i have learnt to say no. whatever you do, don't give up we all started for a reason you will be glad you carried on
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    if you think you're good at handling your alcohol you could always go for something with high alcoholic content say 40%+ if getting drunk isn't the issue then how about going for a light beer? I know I'm an alcoholic and I usually tend to just try to burn it off before I drink or eat less later
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, remember that every day isn't perfect and I don't believe that a diet should stop you from enjoying yourself. It's okay to go out and chill with your mates once in a while, just fit it into your calories and macros for the day. What is your calorie goal anyways?
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm in college right now and sometimes I have the same problem. Tomorrow is my birthday, so a couple of my guy friends asked me, at the gym might I add, if I wanted to go out drinking with them. I said no. I had just increased my squat weight, and I didn't want to waste that awesome feeling I got from it on some "useless" calories in alcohol. This is something a lot of people don't understand (god help my male friends). They work hard in the gym, only to blow it by drinking copious amount of alcohol. Then they wonder how I got my *kitten* in shape in three months. It's because I had a goal, and I did everything I could to achieve it, including skipping some social gathering.

However, this doesn't mean you can never go out again. You just need to be conscious of what you drink. Look up the calories in some mixed drinks. Remember their names, and ask the bartender to make that healthier option for you. If you're drinking beer, and as a college student I'm going to assume you are, look up the lowest calorie beer you can find and bring your own. If all these options sound too tiresome, just drink less. One glass of 400 calorie beer is always better than two, or three, or four.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Don't get drunk. Have one drink, or two. I never understood why people feel the need to have to get drunk when they drink. Or if you don't want to drink at all order a club soda and lime.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty, remember that every day isn't perfect and I don't believe that a diet should stop you from enjoying yourself. It's okay to go out and chill with your mates once in a while, just fit it into your calories and macros for the day. What is your calorie goal anyways?

I'm on a 1,500 calorie a day diet. The problem is that I didn't get a chance to work out as long as I would have liked to today so it caused me to go over. I know I shouldn't feel guilty about it because it's clearly not something that happens all the time, but it is hard not to worry about it at least a little bit... Thanks for the encouragement though! I'll just be sure to work even harder in the gym tomorrow and make up for it. :)
    Don't get drunk. Have one drink, or two. I never understood why people feel the need to have to get drunk when they drink. Or if you don't want to drink at all order a club soda and lime.

It isn't necessarily about getting drunk, but even a two or three drinks can push me over if I don't choose the right things. I don't go out to drink excessive amounts, but having even a few light beers at the bar with some friends can add up pretty quickly.

I truly appreciate the advice from everyone though! I think choosing the right kinds of drinks will help. Especially choosing light beers over some of the other mixed drinks and heavier beer options that I tend to pick. I think before I go out next time I am going to look up the calorie count on the drinks I like to order before ordering them and remind myself why that isn't a good choice. Tomorrow is a new day and I plan on getting back on track! :smile:
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i used to drink a lot but i have been tee total since May of this year. i still go out but i have learnt to say no. whatever you do, don't give up we all started for a reason you will be glad you carried on

Thanks for the encouragement! You are so right, I started this for a reason and I need to stay focused on my goals. In the long run it will definitely be worth sipping on water at the bar after I have a drink or two in order to achieve my weight loss goals!
  • smimo
    smimo Posts: 34
    Options
    GIRRLLL LET ME TELL YOU! I just turned 21 in August. im on the same page as you, but like some others have replied, vodka is the lowest in cals. so what i do is get vodka, and add some 5 calorie Red Bull, works like a charm and alot of my friends already drink RedBull and Vodka. Try that! also Cosmo's are also low in cals if yall are out.

heres a chart, as long as you think out your night and plan ahead youll do fine with out over doing your cals :)) drink up galss!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=893
  • rcfuenmayor
    Options
    Ok..Ok..Great party last night .. next day.. what to do ?

Any recommendation for the next day??? should be reducing cal? drinking more water? .... etc. etc

what would be the suggestions to reduce the effect ....
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's not the end of the world. I have a drink or three fairly often, every two or three weeks, I have even more. I just make sure I log it all so that I know how much I went over. I then check how much I went over my TDEE (NOT BMR or calorie goal!!!) and usually I don't, so I don't worry any further about it. If I went over, I'd do a little exercise (exercise in my world consists of walking for a bit...hahha).
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    like the person above is alluding to, if you have a 500 cal deficit - you can eat 500cals over your limit and still not gain.
  • sicoe17
    sicoe17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Getdrunknotfat.com

And contrary to popular belief vodka is not the lowest. It's actualy everclear, but if you are in a state in which everclear is not legal, like I do, then Jose Cuervo gold is the best. Alcohol to calorie ratio wise at least.
  • mara9999
    mara9999 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think everyone's suggestions are great so far. :) I just want to give my personal input. I've managed to lose the weight while still enjoying drinks and good food a couple nights a week. If you keep yourself under control 5 or 6 nights a week, going crazy on occasion won't destroy all your efforts. If I wasn't able to splurge every now and then, there's no way I could've stuck with MFP. But after 4 months, I am almost at my goal weight and feeling really great about my progress. Maybe I lost the weight a little slower than someone who's extremely militant, but I don't feel like I've been dieting doing it this way. It's become a lifestyle, and drinks here and there are definitely part of my lifestyle. I still get to have fun and look great doing it! You just need to do what's best for you and makes you happy. If hanging out with friends and having a drink is something you enjoy, then you need to do that. Best wishes on your journey!
  • finding_sammi
    Options
    bump for later!

thanks for posting!
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting, and plan on having a big night, I'll eat solely protein-based meals, low carb, low fat, throughout the day.

i.e:
    1. Egg white/ham omelette
    2. tuna/salad
    3. chicken/veggies
    4. protein pancakes
    or other variations of above^

So, I'll eat around 1,200kcal of that, which still leaves around 1,400kcals of alcohol before I'm even touching weight gain.
    Generally drank half a bottle of vodka or more with diet soft drink, occasionally beer instead of that.

Drank like that once or twice a week, didn't hinder my weight loss at all over my 12 week cut. Everything went exactly to plan.

TL;DR - Eat higher protein, low carb foods for the day. Fill in the rest with booze, preferably spirits with diet soft drink. No harm to weight loss.

Edit: I'm a teenager; I drink lots when I do drink.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    One beer, one club soda, one light beer, one club soda, another club soda, one beer....

By the time you get to club soda #4, you won't want beer #3.

Enjoy a beverage, but make every other one low or no calories. You can still be in a social situation without a beer in your hand. If your friends mock you for this, find new friends.
  • vickij2
    Options
    Don't drink the sweet mixes.Too much sugar. Drink gin or vodka mixed with something sugar free. Don't drink too many. Drinking beer is like drinking "liquid french fries." If you are going to drink tequila, make it Patron. It is made w/agave. More expensive, but very smooth. I f I want a drink, I make a margarita with "Skinnygirl and fresh strawberries. Make sure you either negate the calories/carbs with exercise or cut something from diet. Remember, alcohol is empty calories. Good luck!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    one word: bath salts.

no calories. gives you super powers and suppresses apetite!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Drinking beer is like drinking "liquid french fries."

oh my god. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - quits beer for life.