Planet Fitness

Options
Anyone have experience w/ Planet Fitness in MI or just in general anywhere?

I've pretty much only been in a gym a few times like 20 yrs ago, so total noob. I don't even work out at home. it's convenient to my job and I can go at lunch.

what's the best plan to get and are there any pitfalls? There's one by my house too, and if my hubs is interested I'll upgrade the plan to the black or whatever it is membership so he can "guest" with me.

Any experiences at all? tips for a noob?

Gina

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't belong - but I just noticed today that they're running their special membership rate in my area, and maybe US nation-wide? The ad says $10 down and $10/month. Pretty good deal if you like the big commercial gyms.
  • heygina
    Options
    yes, the deal is why I'm seriously considering them. $10 would be good if hubs doesn't want to do it ever, because I'll go to the one by my work at lunch.
  • jules159
    jules159 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Used to belong to the one here in Jackson and I liked it. Lots of equipment and they were very helpful. Wide range of people so you don't feel intimidated. They have one are that's a rotation of weights and cardio and it's a heck of a workout. I also made an appt with one of their trainers for them to show me how to work everything and what weight I should start at. It was very convenient to set up the appt. The only reason I stopped going was that it wasn't very close to me and I have equipment at home I can use.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I pick things up and put them down ;)
  • holly78
    holly78 Posts: 347
    Options
    I'm a member here in PA, and I Love it! My gym has tons of equipment, and I've never had a problem getting a good workout in. My gym has a ton of Cardio equipment, and a 30 minute circuit as well. can't beat $10 a month either.
  • heygina
    Options
    Used to belong to the one here in Jackson and I liked it. Lots of equipment and they were very helpful. Wide range of people so you don't feel intimidated. They have one are that's a rotation of weights and cardio and it's a heck of a workout. I also made an appt with one of their trainers for them to show me how to work everything and what weight I should start at. It was very convenient to set up the appt. The only reason I stopped going was that it wasn't very close to me and I have equipment at home I can use.
    thanks for sharing your experience Jules, very helpful!
  • heygina
    Options
    I'm a member here in PA, and I Love it! My gym has tons of equipment, and I've never had a problem getting a good workout in. My gym has a ton of Cardio equipment, and a 30 minute circuit as well. can't beat $10 a month either.

Also very good to know. So they have like "canned" programs to get you started? because honestly I'm clueless about machines, weights, and want some good instruction before I go and hurt myself.
  • heygina
    Options

Apparently there's a science to it. Obviously I don't intend to become a professional or gym rat or anything.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We used to go to a Planet Fitness here in Maryland and absolutely loved it. They had everything we needed, including plenty of equipment so we never had to wait for treadmills or ellipticals. At the time we went they didn't have different memberships, just $10/month for everyone. They are able to do that because they don't have childcare or other expense incurring bonuses, which worked for us at the time. The only reason we ever left was because we had children and needed a gym with childcare. We now go to another gym, which is great, but we find ourselves saying "I miss Planet Fitness" to each other because it was such a great deal. And the one we went to had all the brand new Cybex equipment our fancy gym has - and more of it!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at one in NH-although I've also gone to ones in MA and VT. I love Planet Fitness but you'll find people either love them or hate them. I didn't like the one I visited in VT cause the feel of the place wasn't good (no help, mean people, etc) so I suggest going in and checking them out first.

I've been a member off and on for over 5 years and I think they're great. I just started weights and I don't plan on lifting more than what they have. My gym (the one I go to the most at least) is large and since I go in the mornings, I never have issues waiting. Also, I suggest since you've never been, one of the first things to do is sign up for a lesson with the trainer there so you can be shown how to use the equipment without hurting yourself (they call it the design your own program)
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Apparently there's a science to it. Obviously I don't intend to become a professional or gym rat or anything.

Not really the point. The policies of this gym keep the truly knowledgeable people away for the most part. Yes it is not intimidating and may be great for someone to familiarize themselves with a gym, but unless it's the only game in town the people you should be listening to in regards to how to most efficiently utilize your time and effort will not be there.
  • holly78
    holly78 Posts: 347
    Options
    Well at my planet fitness they have trainers you can meet with for free that will help guide you along as well.
  • heygina
    Options
    We used to go to a Planet Fitness here in Maryland and absolutely loved it. They had everything we needed, including plenty of equipment so we never had to wait for treadmills or ellipticals. At the time we went they didn't have different memberships, just $10/month for everyone. They are able to do that because they don't have childcare or other expense incurring bonuses, which worked for us at the time. The only reason we ever left was because we had children and needed a gym with childcare. We now go to another gym, which is great, but we find ourselves saying "I miss Planet Fitness" to each other because it was such a great deal. And the one we went to had all the brand new Cybex equipment our fancy gym has - and more of it!

awesome! Thanks! My son is 13, 14 in a couple of months so he's actually old enough to use the equipment according to them. Glad you had such a good experience. Anything I need to look out for?
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    10 bucks a month you can't beat. My PF is a minute from my house and 24/7 which is awesome because I generally go to the gym when my wife and 14 month old daughter are asleep. I probably would find reasons not to go if it weren't so close.

Hell it's that close and I'll fire up the Kinect finess "game" once a week or so because I don't want to leave the house in the cold/rain/whatever.

I've actually upgraded to the "black" level so I can use the exercise chairs and I could tan if I wanted to, but I dont want to. I get to go to any PF as a black member but I've availed myself of that option once and the gym I went to only asked for my number and didn't verify.

With the black membership you can bring in a guest. With either membership you can schedule a session with a trainer and the trainer should be able to show you how to use whatever machines/equipment you need. The one at my gym is pretty good and I meet with him every few months to update my program according to my goals.

Seeing as this is a national chain and each francise is independantly ran YOUR gym might have a trainer with an attitude but hopefully not.

I believe the current promotion is no committment so check it out and if you don't like it you are only out 20 bucks or so...
  • heygina
    Options
    Well at my planet fitness they have trainers you can meet with for free that will help guide you along as well.

Cool, I really need the help.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Sorry. It was their commercial when we still lived in NY. When ever I lift my daughter walks through the room saying that. It cracks me up.

It is a nice gym. Wish we had them here.
  • ganaz23
    ganaz23 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use to go to PLanet Fitness but switched to Work Out World. For $20.00 a month you can take all the cardio classes they offer.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    [It is a nice gym. Wish we had them here.

You do, check again :wink:
  • heygina
    Options
    10 bucks a month you can't beat. My PF is a minute from my house and 24/7 which is awesome because I generally go to the gym when my wife and 14 month old daughter are asleep. I probably would find reasons not to go if it weren't so close.

Hell it's that close and I'll fire up the Kinect finess "game" once a week or so because I don't want to leave the house in the cold/rain/whatever.

I've actually upgraded to the "black" level so I can use the exercise chairs and I could tan if I wanted to, but I dont want to. I get to go to any PF as a black member but I've availed myself of that option once and the gym I went to only asked for my number and didn't verify.

With the black membership you can bring in a guest. With either membership you can schedule a session with a trainer and the trainer should be able to show you how to use whatever machines/equipment you need. The one at my gym is pretty good and I meet with him every few months to update my program according to my goals.

Seeing as this is a national chain and each francise is independantly ran YOUR gym might have a trainer with an attitude but hopefully not.

I believe the current promotion is no committment so check it out and if you don't like it you are only out 20 bucks or so...
    Very very good stuff. thanks! I would upgrade to the "black" just for the tanning, I think (in MI pretty cold and S.A.D. is common in winter w/ no sun and also... I'm just plain pasty). Hoping to convince hubs that he wants to go w/ me on weekends to the one by our house so I can upgrade to black. Then it'd be worth it to do so, otherwise the $10/ no commitment is pretty awesome deal.
  • kristengraham
    kristengraham Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a member of the planet fitness here in Harrisonburg (VA) .... I love it! Sooo many machines! They have so many arc trainers, ellipticals, and treadmills ... there is always one available! The have a all of the machines in the big area and they have 3 separate rooms; at least they do at this one. 12 minute ab; 30 minute circuit and another room with a few other ab & leg machines. Personally I go first thing int he morning before work... there is never anyone there and the shower facilities / locker room is always clean and no waiting around! For $10 a month you can't beat it!