Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• heygina
    Options
    I use to go to PLanet Fitness but switched to Work Out World. For $20.00 a month you can take all the cardio classes they offer.

I was wondering if PF had any kind of class offering.
  • heygina
    Options
    I am a member of the planet fitness here in Harrisonburg (VA) .... I love it! Sooo many machines! They have so many arc trainers, ellipticals, and treadmills ... there is always one available! The have a all of the machines in the big area and they have 3 separate rooms; at least they do at this one. 12 minute ab; 30 minute circuit and another room with a few other ab & leg machines. Personally I go first thing int he morning before work... there is never anyone there and the shower facilities / locker room is always clean and no waiting around! For $10 a month you can't beat it!

Yeah, the price is sure right. thanks for the review!
  • heygina
    Options
    I pick things up and put them down ;)

Apparently there's a science to it. Obviously I don't intend to become a professional or gym rat or anything.
    Sorry. It was their commercial when we still lived in NY. When ever I lift my daughter walks through the room saying that. It cracks me up.

It is a nice gym. Wish we had them here.

OH!!! :) I get it durr... I never saw their ad, so apparently I'm out of the loop. In fact, I don't remember seeing any ads on TV for them at all, just flyers we get in the mail and newspaper ads.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for years. Some positives are the price, you can cancel membership with about a months notice, they have group trainning for free, mine is very clean, open 24hrs, and has any piece of equipment i could need. The negatives-there are no "classes"-I put it in quotes because there are classes/trainning for machines, but no zumba or spinning or pilates or anything. Some months I've gone a ton, sometimes I haven't gone in months. I do keep my membership because $10 buys me the inability to use the excuse of "I can't work out because..." I can workout--it is just a matter of going and working out or choosing not to....currently I am going often and loving it!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm a member and I like it.

I know one of the biggest criticisms on this website of PF is their lack of free weights, though I think that may vary some by location. Also, PF marketed itself as being a 'critic-free zone' (that might not be the exact phrase, but something like that) but seriously, those are just commercials aimed at people who may have never joined, say, a Gold's Gym because they felt shy and/or intimidated. I think people take their marketing schemes a little too personally.

I'm in a fairly large city but that means heavy traffic most places I'd want to go. I have 2 gyms within about 5 minutes of my house - Planet Fitness for $10/month or the YMCA for $55/month. One day, maybe, I will be able to afford the Y but until then, I'm staying with PF. I do my strength training with a combination of dumbbells (the heaviest ones I can manage) and certain weight machines. While I understand this may not be the ULTIMATE IDEAL OF WEIGHT LIFTING that is talked about on MFP, I can't pass up PFs price or convenience at this time, and what I am doing is better than nothing.

There are plenty of people I see there all the time who appear to have very little body fat and obvious muscle definition, so I assume one can make the most of what they have to offer at PF.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've just joined recently in WI and I'm glad that I did! It's cheap, decent facilities and equipment, and the clientele is quite varied, so there's really no aspect of feeling intimidated by those fitter than you.

The one I go to doesn't have barbells, which I would have liked to start using, but they do have dumbbells for free weights and smith machines to try out other lifts without necessarily needing a spotter. They have plenty of weight machines and tons of cardio equipment. They don't have EVERYthing, but what they have is plenty.

You really can't beat the price and convenience (at least for me). I end up going several times per week in addition to the small gym we have at work.
  • heygina
    Options
    I've been a member for years. Some positives are the price, you can cancel membership with about a months notice, they have group trainning for free, mine is very clean, open 24hrs, and has any piece of equipment i could need. The negatives-there are no "classes"-I put it in quotes because there are classes/trainning for machines, but no zumba or spinning or pilates or anything. Some months I've gone a ton, sometimes I haven't gone in months. I do keep my membership because $10 buys me the inability to use the excuse of "I can't work out because..." I can workout--it is just a matter of going and working out or choosing not to....currently I am going often and loving it!

Thanks for the recommendation!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness and am proud that they are a NH based company. I don't think you can beat the price, cleanliness and access to equipment, and other services. Also, my local Planet Fitness allows all residents (not just PF members) to use the showers during periods of electricity outages, such as last week's Hurricane Sandy. When we lost power last year for a week during a Nor'easter, the hot showers were much appreciated.
  • heygina
    Options
    I'm a member and I like it.

I know one of the biggest criticisms on this website of PF is their lack of free weights, though I think that may vary some by location. Also, PF marketed itself as being a 'critic-free zone' (that might not be the exact phrase, but something like that) but seriously, those are just commercials aimed at people who may have never joined, say, a Gold's Gym because they felt shy and/or intimidated. I think people take their marketing schemes a little too personally.

I'm in a fairly large city but that means heavy traffic most places I'd want to go. I have 2 gyms within about 5 minutes of my house - Planet Fitness for $10/month or the YMCA for $55/month. One day, maybe, I will be able to afford the Y but until then, I'm staying with PF. I do my strength training with a combination of dumbbells (the heaviest ones I can manage) and certain weight machines. While I understand this may not be the ULTIMATE IDEAL OF WEIGHT LIFTING that is talked about on MFP, I can't pass up PFs price or convenience at this time, and what I am doing is better than nothing.

There are plenty of people I see there all the time who appear to have very little body fat and obvious muscle definition, so I assume one can make the most of what they have to offer at PF.

Cool. Yeah, I like the idea of a "judgement-free zone" like they advertise, hoping that's just not hype. I'm not gross looking or anything but far from ideal, and you won't catch me in a bikini (yet).
  • heygina
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness and am proud that they are a NH based company. I don't think you can beat the price, cleanliness and access to equipment, and other services. Also, my local Planet Fitness allows all residents (not just PF members) to use the showers during periods of electricity outages, such as last week's Hurricane Sandy. When we lost power last year for a week during a Nor'easter, the hot showers were much appreciated.

I like a company with a sense of community. thanks!
  • heygina
    Options
    I bought a book, "lift like a lady" or something like that because it was recommended to me from another MFPal. Hoping this one here has the weights I want, because honestly, I hate jogging & the like.

Definitely going to check it out on the lunch hour with a friend who's ready to join TODAY!! lol. Thanks for all the replies!
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    too many people packed in a place around my house. I'll keep doing mine in the house.....
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experience w/ Planet Fitness in MI or just in general anywhere?

I've pretty much only been in a gym a few times like 20 yrs ago, so total noob. I don't even work out at home. it's convenient to my job and I can go at lunch.

what's the best plan to get and are there any pitfalls? There's one by my house too, and if my hubs is interested I'll upgrade the plan to the black or whatever it is membership so he can "guest" with me.

Any experiences at all? tips for a noob?

Gina

I was a member almost three years ago here in SC (and it's still there, doing just fine). It was brand-new here at the time, so the down payment was all of $1, and it was $10/month. For $20/month you get unlimited tanning and something about guest passes (not sure if they're unlimited or not). Since I don't want skin cancer, I passed on that.

I found it to be fine - their equipment was always in good working order (broken machines were fixed quickly), and I just had to time it right so that I didn't arrive when all the treadmills were taken. They provided good locker room facilities, and they kept paper towels/cleaner readily available so that people would actually use them to wipe down machines (though some people didn't). They had lots of TVs, and you could plug your headphones into your machine to pick your channel, which was good during prime time - it made time go by quickly.

The only downside is that they don't have any classes. I think you can get personal training sessions, but most of the people who worked there looked super young, so I'm not sure how much experience they could possibly have doing that. (Hey, sometimes people surprise you, though.)

I ended up getting pregnant and just decided to cancel my membership, which was pretty painless. I kept good records, just in case they decided to continue charging me, but I never had a problem. After I had my son, I ended up running and getting into Spinning, which I do at a place that is exclusively Spinning. (It's more expensive than Planet Fitness, but it's what I love to do, and I'm consistent, so it's worth the money.)

Anyway, long story short, with Planet Fitness, it's good and inexpensive, and you'll get out of it whatever you put into it, like most things.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I belong to the Planet Fitness in Austin. I've been members at IFC, Bally's and a local place in Durham, NC previously. I am on the $15/mo plan simply because I am finishing school and not sure how long I will be in this location and it provides the ability to drop w/o any notice. I wish they had exercise classes (I just compensate by doing those at home) but I do like the large numbers of cardio machines they have and I don't think I have ever had to wait on any of the strength training machines. So for the price, it's worth it! And I like it because you don't get that "single's bar w/o the alcohol" feeling. I'm there to workout! Go some place else if you're trying to get "lucky"! O_o
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of the PF near my house for 2 1/2 years now. I love that it basically costs me fifty cents every time I go! Ours just replaced all the treadmills in the past few months which is great (although these don't have individual fans on them anymore which was a negative). I love the circuit training area. I also use the free trainer. I am going to do a Warrior Dash in February so I decided I needed to get some upper body strength. I meet with him on Monday mornings and although it can be up to 5 people at any session, most times it is just me so i get more attention and help. The place is always clean and the staff is very helpful.

And since i have lost over 50 pounds since February, I look a lot different than the picture that comes up on their computer when I check in. For the past month or so, one girl who works there always sees the image on the screen, looks up at me and tells me how great I look. Then I go about my workout grinning like an idiot!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    VA member, i have the Black membership, but next year I plan on downgrading as I can't get anyone to go with me, I don't use the tanning or IR and never bought anything from them.

The one I use is HUGE, but even as big as it is, it gets really busy. I do like they offer trainers, but I wish they had classes like the other gyms (OneLife) but I can't bet the prices. Keep any eye out for the sign-up specials and remember - there is a once a year membership fee (mine was 49.99) that hits mid-year. Make sure to plan accordingly.

Other than that, I love the place. Lots of machines (cardo & weight), tons of TV's that you can plug into (cardo machines), good selection of free weights (but just do know that my place doesn't have a women only section, so you have to use them right there w/ the guys. not an issue once you start, but I do know it did intimidate me at first), nice locker rooms and friendly staff.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I use to go to PLanet Fitness but switched to Work Out World. For $20.00 a month you can take all the cardio classes they offer.

That would be worth it for the extra $10! Unfortunately in SC we do not have WOW (I'm from central NJ, where they have them).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I pick things up and put them down ;)

Apparently there's a science to it. Obviously I don't intend to become a professional or gym rat or anything.
    Sorry. It was their commercial when we still lived in NY. When ever I lift my daughter walks through the room saying that. It cracks me up.

It is a nice gym. Wish we had them here.

OH!!! :) I get it durr... I never saw their ad, so apparently I'm out of the loop. In fact, I don't remember seeing any ads on TV for them at all, just flyers we get in the mail and newspaper ads.

Not sure if I can embed. If not - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSeOieLh7s

Guess not...
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like mine. I wish they had a row machine, but they don't. They do have a little hallway area that leads up to their storage that I use to jump rope in, though, so that's nifty and I'm out of everyone's way.

They also have a Pizza Monday, where they have free pizza every first Monday of the month, which is kind of counter-productive but also kind of quirky and fun (I rarely partake in the eating part, though, but everyone gathers at the tables after a workout and socializes and it's nice).
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It depends a LOT on each individual location. But I've heard billing issues are a complaint at quite a few locations so keep an eye on that. It's a great deal and if you go at non-peak times, I've heard pretty good things. They tend not to have the typical nicer amenities (shampoo/conditioner/body wash in the showers, towel service, classes, etc) and a lot of them leave something to be desired for heavy lifters. If you just want machines and limited weight section, it's a great deal.

I think they're month-to-month so the best bet might be to try it out for a month. Even though you'd pay the initial fee too, that's only $20 for a month to try it out and see what you think. I was considering doing it but caved and got the pricy membership at another gym only because of distance/convenience.